Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:20 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Wow, pretty judgemental, don't you think?
this thread is almost a year old, I don't even think art still posts here on a regular basis. just a heads up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
this thread is almost a year old, I don't even think art still posts here on a regular basis. just a heads up
Thanks. It was posted to earlier today and I didn't read the whole thread to see how current it might be.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Wow, pretty judgemental, don't you think?
As about as judgemental as:

Quote:
If you think there aren't racists in northern states, and especially in the Democratic party, you are abosfrigging nuts. People up north keep their racism to themselves. In a way, minorities are better off here, because they know who their friends are. A lot of Yankees hide their bigotry well.
Nice to know that bigotry is out in the open here...

And man do these threads get decimated by the mods sometimes.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM

And after living here for a while now, the answer to my original CD post is no. There are no artsy, liberal neighborhoods in or near Greenville. Glad we've cleared that up.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
As about as judgemental as:

Nice to know that bigotry is out in the open here...

And man do these threads get decimated by the mods sometimes.
Better the devil you know, than....

BTW - Rapunzil was simply giving their assessment based on their experiences. They in no way painted everyone in the North as racist.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Better the devil you know, than....

BTW - Rapunzil was simply giving their assessment based on their experiences. They in no way painted everyone in the North as racist.
I know, as I didn't paint everyone in Greenville as racist/bigoted either.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
I can only give you the benefit of the doubt on that one, but it doesn't come across that way.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Not everyone, but nearly everyone. Here's two examples about our area that you've posted in the last two days, one on our loval board and one in the P and OC board:

I've heard the "n-word" thrown around in this town in the past three years more than in the 20 years preceding (living in other places). There are a couple of people I work with who throw around "Ni**er-in-Chief" to describe our President on a regular basis. Some kid at the Bi-lo told me a "ni**er joke" the first week I lived here. There are rebel flags all over this place - on half the pickups especially. If you don't know any racists in Greenville, SC, you either don't know anybody here or your head is in the sand.

The Civil Rights movement just occurred, historically speaking. People here in our neck of the woods regularly use the "n-word." Race is still an issue, and knowing the racial makeup of our citizens has it's useful purpose: understanding and knowledge (two things that right-wing Christians have little interest in).

For the record, I have never once heard the "n" word used and I've been here three years. In all honesty, I do not believe you.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Location: South Mountains (Southern Burke County) Connelly Springs NC
45 posts, read 122,030 times
I've lived in the south for 38 years, It is the rarest of occasions that I ever hear that word.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,655 times
Just to throw 2cents in - I moved here from Orlando florida and there far more racism, rebel flags, lifted pickup trucks, etc there, then here. And most people don't even consider florida to be a southern state!

Everyone I've met in Greenville so far has been very accepting. Oddly enough very few of the people I work with are even religious. The people here are far nicer and accepting (of everyone) then anywhere I've ever lived (Anchorage, Seattle, Boston, Orlando, Kansas City, Atlanta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area