Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Paid attention to what's going on in D.C. lately?
Haha, yes, agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
As about as judgemental as:

Nice to know that bigotry is out in the open here...

And man do these threads get decimated by the mods sometimes.
Not judgmental at all. I'm a Yankee and know what I am talking about.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM

132 posts, read 466,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Show a little respect and tolerance for someone that has an opinion that differs from your own. It appears by this post that you're not nearly as "tolerant and enlightened" as you think you are.

right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Turbo;13436930 We have armies of brainwashed individuals that angrily threaten anyone [I
who doesn't believe what they believe[/i] with the claim that they are going to hell. That, my friend is not tolerance and it pisses me off to no end. I have a good friend whose own mother tells her son that he is going to burn in hellfire because he does not attend her "mega-church" that spreads nothing but fear and insecurity. More concerned with abortion, homosexuality, etc. than spreading the pure, accepting love that Jesus Christ stood for. Those are the "evangelicals" I am referring to. Sorry to offend you BRO!
Sounds alot like the Jahovas witnesses, Muslims, The Church of the Fonz, Christians, and Jews I have known in the northeast, well maybe not the Fonz.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Turbo View Post
@ Sonrise: Why is that insulting dude? Huh? Why are you offended by it? Are you familiar with the extreme right wing groups that set up shop and took controlling positions in our local governments out here? I have nothing but respect for everyone's opinions/faith/etc., may they differ from my own; but I do have a problem with blind sob's trying to shove their aggressive agendas down my throat. I encourage you to take pay us a visit out here so you fully understand what I am talking about. We have armies of brainwashed individuals that angrily threaten anyone who doesn't believe what they believe with the claim that they are going to hell. That, my friend is not tolerance and it pisses me off to no end. I have a good friend whose own mother tells her son that he is going to burn in hellfire because he does not attend her "mega-church" that spreads nothing but fear and insecurity. More concerned with abortion, homosexuality, etc. than spreading the pure, accepting love that Jesus Christ stood for. Those are the "evangelicals" I am referring to. Sorry to offend you BRO!
Thanks for the apology and it is unconditionally accepted. It's become almost a hobby of sorts for at least one poster to start a thread a week feigning interest here, all the while insulting the Christian nature/heritage of this area, trying to bait us into a fight. Yes, Greenville is conservative and Christian, and yes it is one of the nicest places in America to relocate to, my wife and I moved here from Los Angeles specifically for the conservative Christian views, but if that isn't for you, this place is still wonderful, as no one is going to force anything down your throat; Jesus preached love, first and foremost, and told us to love, pray for and bless you enemies; to do otherwise would be unChrisitan. Wish you the best in whatever you choose.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Turbo View Post
@ Sonrise: Why is that insulting dude? Huh? Why are you offended by it? Are you familiar with the extreme right wing groups that set up shop and took controlling positions in our local governments out here? I have nothing but respect for everyone's opinions/faith/etc., may they differ from my own; but I do have a problem with blind sob's trying to shove their aggressive agendas down my throat. I encourage you to take pay us a visit out here so you fully understand what I am talking about. We have armies of brainwashed individuals that angrily threaten anyone who doesn't believe what they believe with the claim that they are going to hell. That, my friend is not tolerance and it pisses me off to no end. I have a good friend whose own mother tells her son that he is going to burn in hellfire because he does not attend her "mega-church" that spreads nothing but fear and insecurity. More concerned with abortion, homosexuality, etc. than spreading the pure, accepting love that Jesus Christ stood for. Those are the "evangelicals" I am referring to. Sorry to offend you BRO!
You can be quite sure that, while there may be one predominant philosophy or outlook in this area, it by no means dictates everything or everyone here. Greenville especially is full of people from all over, with different backgrounds and ideas. That's a big part of what is making this area so special!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Thanks for the apology and it is unconditionally accepted. It's become almost a hobby of sorts for at least one poster to start a thread a week feigning interest here, all the while insulting the Christian nature/heritage of this area, trying to bait us into a fight. Yes, Greenville is conservative and Christian, and yes it is one of the nicest places in America to relocate to, my wife and I moved here from Los Angeles specifically for the conservative Christian views, but if that isn't for you, this place is still wonderful, as no one is going to force anything down your throat; Jesus preached love, first and foremost, and told us to love, pray for and bless you enemies; to do otherwise would be unChrisitan. Wish you the best in whatever you choose.
That is stand-up Sonrise. Again, my intent was not to offend anyone. When I referred to the "Evangelical nut-jobs" I was referring directly to a group in this area that are extremely radical in their views and whom approach the community and others with misplaced threats and judgment. I have many Christian friend and clients, I respect their beliefs and vice-versa. Living in a community with people of various faiths, none of them preaching to you or shoving their ideals down your throat sounds refreshing. To each their own and respect for all. We used to live in an extremely liberal community in Denver, and some of my neighbors drove me crazy with their extreme left-wing views. Extremism in any direction is dangerous.
Best to you Sonrise.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 PM

78 posts, read 155,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
And after living here for a while now, the answer to my original CD post is no. There are no artsy, liberal neighborhoods in or near Greenville. Glad we've cleared that up.
But, are you happy in Greenville?? Have you found friends of like mind?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Cool It doesn't matter.

I am talking to everyone collectively before I begin my rant:

I moved here a month ago from Iowa, a state with gay marriage and soon to have legalized medicinal marijuana (call us hippies if you will), and let me tell you racism can exist anywhere. A small town next to where I grew up is one of the headquarters for the KKK. I know because I have had friends there that they have handed fliers to from off the street. My friends are the last kind of people to ever join in such a group (a love, not hate kind of people).

I think it's wrong to judge, stereotype, and try to simplify a whole population into one group just like I believe politicians try to do to us, which is not true and not fair (you are only part of the masses if you choose to be; everyone has the capacity to think for themselves if they choose so although not everyone does). That is what makes humans unique; our brain capacity and the ability to think critically and problem-solve by themselves. That is my first problem with this thread.

The other part that bothers me is that you see people having different views from you as bad thing. Again, we have the capacity to think for ourselves so not everyone's views are going to be exactly the same and that is what makes this country so great; the fact that we are allowed to speak and voice our opinions instead being silenced and forced to conform to think exactly the same way. Take people's differences as an opportunity to grow and learn something you would not have learned otherwise from being around all like-minded people. People having different thoughts, opinions, and view points is never a bad thing unless you prefer to be part of the "masses" in which case it makes it easier for others to manipulate and control you.

Read a book; do some research and critical thinking (less than 3% of people read books regularly). A magazine, a newspaper, television, and the news are all owned by the media. They don't have your best interests at heart; they only care about themselves. They don't want you to think for yourself, again with the "masses". Don't believe everything you hear. Okay, okay, I'm done already.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I find it amusing that people want to move to the deep south, but they want to live in artsy, liberal neighborhoods. Huh? Why move to the South in the first place?
My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't choose a very liberal city to live in no matter how "great" the job, it's usually just 8 hrs. out of a total of 24 of 5 out of 7 days, when I did my search I concentrated on what's really more important to me!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,571 times
greenville is a great, diverse city. check out pendletown west townhouses on the west end of downtown...its in walking distance to the park and main street. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area