Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,825,969 times

Advertisements

The state dept. of education released the results of the 2010 HSAPs. HSAP for those who don't know is the graduation exam in this state mandated under NCLB. It tests writing, reading and math (which are required under NCLB, NCLB does not mandate science nor social studies even though some states do require kids to take / pass those tests). The percent represents how many 10th graders passed all 3 sections of the exam. Certainly not the only indicator of how good a school is but it does tell a significant portion of the story for each school IMO.

1.) Riverside - 90.6%
2.) Wade Hampton - 90.1%
3.) Mauldin - 89.3%
4.) Eastside - 85.4%
5.) JL Mann - 83.2%
6.) Blue Ridge - 81.3%
7.) Woodmont - 81.0%
8.) Travelers Rest - 79.3%
9.) Greenville - 75.8%
10.) Greer - 75.7%
11.) Berea - 75.3%
12.) Hillcrest - 72.0%
13.) Carolina - 63.8%
14.) Southside - 57.1%

couple of notes:

- wade hampton has become a great school. have watched them progress year after year.
- hillcrest use to be a reallly good school but has taken a serious nose dive over the years.
- carolina is getting better as is berea
- southside can't hide behind their USN ranking forever, eventually word gets out as to how bad this school is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,498,720 times
Glad to see WH scoring so high & doing well. I've known many graduates of WHHS since moving here, and they're great folks. Mauldin's ranking also seems to demonstrate what I've seen/heard about this school of late.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,638,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Mauldin's ranking also seems to demonstrate what I've seen/heard about this school of late.
Do you mean this as a good or bad thing, in that they are trending up or down?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,498,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Do you mean this as a good or bad thing, in that they are trending up or down?
Seems about right (being in the top 3), based on living near it and knowing some people whose kids go or went there.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 PM

66 posts, read 220,121 times
I was vey excited to see Mauldin in the top three my son goes there and it's a great school!! I was very surprised about Hillcrest.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM

i'm excited for a school like carolina. getting better academically and they are getting better athletically too. good to see a school on the "rough" side of town doing the things necessary to give their enrollment more opportunities.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,652,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post

- wade hampton has become a great school. have watched them progress year after year.
FWIW, Wade Hampton has a fairly long history of academic excellence. It was only in the 90s and first part of this decade that it seemed to decline.

I attended there in the 80s and it was considered second only to (gasp) Eastside. Back then, Riverside was a farmer school, Southside didn't have IB World School, and so on.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,652,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margiem3 View Post
I was very surprised about Hillcrest.
Seems about right to me.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
FWIW, Wade Hampton has a fairly long history of academic excellence. It was only in the 90s and first part of this decade that it seemed to decline.

I attended there in the 80s and it was considered second only to (gasp) Eastside. Back then, Riverside was a farmer school, Southside didn't have IB World School, and so on.

Hobo,

understood. didn't mean for it to sound like they were bad historically. just when i moved down here roughly 7 years ago WH seemed pretty average in all aspects both academically and athletically. i always thought of WH as a very working class community since i did live up that way for 2 years. working class doesn't mean bad, just always made them seem very average.

i'm sure things have changed a lot, b/c calling riverside a farmers school makes me laugh knowing how they are perceived these days as the very very very rich school of the district. very very upscale suburban like IMO.

and no offense to Hillcrest but IMO it seems as though that since they no longer have the same demographic they once did they have shown signs of slipping. hillcrest use to dominate the upscale suburban demographic of simpsonville and now that some of that (not all of it mind you) is attending Woodmont, Hillcrest is beginning to slip. always reminds me of the fact that communities make schools not the other way around.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM

5,539 posts, read 15,306,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
...always reminds me of the fact that communities make schools not the other way around.
True, and people make communities. This is the reason you can completely revitalize two rough neighborhoods in the same city and one may respond to that investment by reinvesting themselves to make additional improvements, while the other may rapidly return to its rough condition. People choose whether to respect the integrity of their own character or not. Unfortunately there are many communities across the U.S. filled with people who have absolutely no respect for anything or anyone, much less their own character. In my opinion, these negatively productive "citizens" should be of greater concern than many of the illegal immigrants who have brought a refreshing amount of respectable character and positive productivity to some of our communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area