Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
LCM LCM started this thread

77 posts, read 185,406 times

Advertisements

I've searched the board for dentist threads and there are a few, but none that address my concern.

I took my kids to a dentist in Simpsonville today and between the two of them, he found 14 cavities! They've been completely cavity free until this, so I'm more than a little surprised.

I've heard that sometimes dentists mistake grooves for cavities, and I've heard the term "over-filler" applied to some dentists due to their practices. I'm not saying that this is the case for this dentist--maybe my kids really do have that many cavities. But I'd like a second opinion anyway.

So, my question: can someone recommend a dentist who might be willing to offer a second opinion? I'm thinking I might prefer someone who has been in practice a long time.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,601 times
My children go to Ashby Park Pediatric Dentistry (Dr. Fogle et al) and I have been pleased. No cavities, so far. Hope this helps! I would be skeptical, as well.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Not in area anymore so can not really help here. Being as I did previously work in Dental profession before I would definitely recommend seing another dentist. I know some people will not like what I say but unfortunately and disgustingly this is true as it is with many other businesses. YES!! dentistry is a business just like any other. Do not be surprised if you wait a while and go to another dentist (any say nothing about what you already know) that you will get completely different treatment plan. Happened to me many times..lost trust in whole profession.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,860 times
My family sees Dr. Leigh Ledford in Simpsonville. I would recommend her.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
I recommend Pasui Family Dentistry between Powdersville and Easley on S.C. 153.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM

144 posts, read 296,042 times
Yes, I would seek a second opinion.

I went to a great small dentist office for years and when he retired I had to find a new dentist. i went to a well respected one near haywood rd and he immediately found a myriad of problems with my teeth. Mainly, that I needed two crowns and the bill would be somewhere in excess of 3000 grand. He said, well I see you have great insurance so I would not let that stop you from doing what needs to be done. He also said my wife was in need of some gum surgery.

I never had a procedure done but my wife and I went for several visits and cleaning and always felt like we were being pushed into one procedure or another. After having enough I went to a different dentist who said that my teeth looked great and would do anything. I had told him nothing about the previous diagnosis. When I told him what the other dentist had said he fought back some harsh words for others in his profession and forced a smile and said In my opinion I cannot see how anyone would think you would need one much less two crowns.

Its impossible to think that medical professionals would suggest unnecessary procedures just to make money but I know for a fact it goes on and now I am thinking it happens more often than you could imagine.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,172 times
We use Dr. Capehart in Simpsonville and are highly pleased.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM

Nighttown...you took the words right out of my mouth. It is very disgusting that this happens. Seeing it firsthand has made me leave many postions in offices. You can not trust many dentists. Much like all the other profeesions..they all look to stick their hands in your pocket.

When I got my second opinion and said nothing about treatment plan previous dentist gave..that dentist said I do not need any work.

The biggest thing that made me leave last office was that a dentist in the area had bad accident and many of his patients came to office I worked in at the time. Dentist I was working with told this patients mother that her daughter needed about $4,000 in work!! He can see from their address that they were very wealthy. Meanwhile when there was no time for her to get the work done as she was heading back to college a week later. Upon settling in she went to a dentist in area where she was attending school. Suprise..suprise she was told there was no work needed.

Luckily her parents got a few more opinions and all were different yet not one said would cost more than $200.00. If they see you have the money and/or great insurance they will lie...just like mechanics. So sad.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:21 PM
LCM LCM started this thread

77 posts, read 185,406 times
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I also asked a neighbor who suggested her dentist, and we we went for a second opinion.

Whaddyaknow--no cavities. A couple of spots need to be "watched" as they could develop into cavities, but other than those issues this new dentist says he sees nothing to fill.

So we went from 14 cavities to zero. (Also known as $2700 to $0.)

This experience doesn't help silence that annoying cynic in me.

So here's a recommendation for a seemingly honest, conservative-in-approach dentist: Dr. Marcus Wilson on West Butler Road in Mauldin.

Thanks again, everyone.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 PM

So glad you got a second opinion. It is unfortunate we have to second guess this kind of thing. Better safe that sorry. Does make us lose trust but also makes us more of an advocate for ourselves ,family to make sure we are all safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area