U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 33,464 times
Default What is it like to live in Greenville SC?

Recently I came through Greenville and found the downtown area to be very urban and artisy for city it's size. I have recently moved from Atlanta to a small town in NC. NC is not for me and I miss the conveniences of Atlanta but not all the headaches that came attached to living in a big city.

Greenville seems like a nice size city with lots of the conveniences of larger places (restaurants, shopping, and galleries) but I made the mistake of stopping in an art co-op and asking the lady about living in this area. She was very bitter and painted the scene as very southern backwards and unwelcoming. Originally from the south, I think she is an exception to the rule but I am concerned about how open minded people are here. One of the great things about living in Atlanta is the diversity and acceptance of all kinds of people...a kind of live and let live attitude.

I am not interested in schools, no children. Artist - so I need supplies and venues that are supportive and looking for that progressive, inclusive environment that inspires creativity.

Any thoughts on what Greenville is really like? How humid does it get?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 17,108 times
I can tell you that I lived in Orlando through my teens and early 20s. Then moved to Asheville, NC and couldn't stand it-- too small. Within a couple years I had to get out of that town. I moved to Greenville and the size of the city suits me well. Now that there is an Apple Store here, I don't need to go to Charlotte for anything [other than a roller coaster ].

Asheville had the barefoot-hippie-tree-huggers.
Greenville has it's share of redneck-racists.
All in all though, I've found most people very friendly and accepting here.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 AM

5,409 posts, read 9,050,735 times
What medium do you specialize in?

Greenville has a burgeoning arts community, obviously not to the level of much larger cities like Atlanta, but a very welcome home for many accomplished visual artists already and the number is growing. I haven't heard a negative comment from any of the local artists I've talked with recently. Below I've included a few links (it is not a complete list) to more information about some of the area events, venues, and artists you may want to contact for further insight from their perspective.

Metropolitan Arts Council - The main arts support organization in Greenville.

Upstate Visual Arts - A local organization specializing in arts education.

Greenville Open Studios (http://www.greenvillearts.com/programs/open_studios.aspx - broken link) - More than 140 local artists (http://www.greenvillearts.com/programs/open_studios_list.aspx - broken link) participated this year.

Artisphere - Greenville's annual arts festival with national acclaim.

First Fridays - A monthly event showcasing several studios and galleries in the city.

Pendleton Street Arts District - Located in a pseudo-quaint (although there are plans to fulfill the inspiring dreams of visionaries), gritty, old community near downtown.

Artists Guild Gallery of Greenville - A consortium of professional and amateur local artists, showcasing work in various mediums.

Midtown Artery - A showroom of collectible works by high quality contemporary international artists.

Art Crossing at RiverPlace - A collection of studios along the Reedy River.

Greenville County Museum of Art - Showcasing several works by both Andrew Wyeth and Jasper Johns, among others. Hands-on art education is also a significant part of this venue.

BJU Museum & Gallery (http://www.bjumg.org/index.html - broken link) - One of the largest and most impressive collections of historic religious art in the nation. Includes centuries-old masterpieces by such famous artists as Rembrandt, Rubens, David, Dolci, Preti, and van Dyck, to name a few of the many.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM

5,399 posts, read 5,669,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ_SC View Post
I can tell you that I lived in Orlando through my teens and early 20s. Then moved to Asheville, NC and couldn't stand it-- too small. Within a couple years I had to get out of that town. I moved to Greenville and the size of the city suits me well. Now that there is an Apple Store here, I don't need to go to Charlotte for anything [other than a roller coaster ].

Asheville had the barefoot-hippie-tree-huggers.
Greenville has it's share of redneck-racists.
All in all though, I've found most people very friendly and accepting here.
I actually think Greenville is a good amalgam of active arts community/support for the arts and corporate life (and I think the two mesh quite well here).

ANY place in the South (or really, any place in general) has its share of loons. Greenville has folks from all over the country, as well as other countries well-interspersed everywhere. We have neighbors from Indiana, New Jersey, Thailand and Colombia near our home. You will hear German & French (as well as the obligatory Spanish these days) spoken as you go about daily activities around town. And there is a large Indian (Asia) community here, and other Asian cultures are also well-represented.

People seem to make a big deal of occasional summer humidity here, but I grew up on the Gulf Coast so it's nothing to me. It really depends on what you're used to. I love the topography in this area and the proximity to the mountains.

Good luck in your quest - I think you'll find the Greenville area a great place to live!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 33,464 times
Thanks so much for all the great detailed comments and links. My partner and I are both oil painters. We've been showing in the Atlanta area for about 10 years. We now live in Salisbury NC which is smaller than Asheville, which didn't really fit us either. We were hoping to find an area that offered the amenities of Atlanta but smaller and more laid back. We lived in Virginia-Highlands which is really great intown neighborhood but the property taxes were getting so high and the neighborhood was changing. For most people, they would say for the better - more families, jogging strollers, luxe cars. People keeping up with the Jones and missing the individuality and charm that was there about 10 years ago.

We're definitely going back to Greenville to check things out this coming first Friday. I think this might be a good fit especially with it centralized locations to Atlanta, Charlotte,etc. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,115,729 times
Atlanta is definitely diverse....30 years of people moving from the northern states can be thanked for that. Greenville on the other hand is still a transitioning city. Inside the city limits (26 square miles) of downtown there is some diversity.....but not the kind of diversity you will find in a larger city.

Go outside the city limits and diversity is limited.....you find:

Rednecks and some natives who have never travelled outside the south....and as a result are closed minded when it comes to new ideas and progress. Of course the definition of diversity heavily depends on where you have lived. In my case I was born and raised here in NYC and it is the most diverse city in America.....every race and ethnicity on the planet earth lives here side by side! . So for me even Atlanta is not diverse enough. As long as you understand and accept that Greenville is still changing and not as diverse as other cities you should adjust fine.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM

49 posts, read 97,990 times
I lived in Atlanta (Stone Mountain, Conyers, Stockbridge and lastly Monroe) since I was 7 until last summer (I'm 32 now).....Greenville is definitely a change of pace for the better for us in most ways. #1 being because of the lack of traffic (I laughed one morning last summer when I watched the traffic report....it was NOTHING like 285/big three but they acted like it was a parking lot).

The only thing that I have found that is hard for me to live with is the fact that many of the stores I frequented in and around Atlanta are not here and there are not many substitutions. Just one example, I miss JoAnn's fabrics....Hancock is ok and there are a few independent stores here and there. I have also yet to find a good Chinese restaurant close by that we like as much as a few in Loganville/Monroe.

We really enjoy the downtown area although don't visit as often as I wish we would but visit it much more than we went downtown in Atlanta. Hubby and my first date was in the Virginia Highlands at Everybody's Pizza! I do see the similarities between the two.

I think there are definitely different areas in Greenville like Atlanta....the Parkins Mill area is like Dunwoody/Roswell (affluent). Simpsonville seems like Gwinnett's suburbs about 15 years ago...family friendly. Greer seems cool but was too far north for us needing to access areas between G'ville and Columbia regularly. I haven't been on much of the west side yet (Easley/Anderson) but it seems more rural--at least in the areas I've been in. Downtown's McBee Station area reminds me of Midtown Atl.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM

5,399 posts, read 5,669,258 times
[quote=calico77;16602231]Hubby and my first date was in the Virginia Highlands at Everybody's Pizza! I do see the similarities between the two. /QUOTE]

LOVE Everybody's! I've only been to the one near Emory though. It was something of an institution back when I lived in Atlanta ('86/'87 timeframe). Used to love the Virginia Highlands waaay back in the day - even then, there were lots of quirky restaurants & pubs.

Greenville's downtown is a bit different, but overall there isn't much restaurant-wise that you can't get here.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:58 PM

7,993 posts, read 6,666,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonakat3 View Post
Thanks so much for all the great detailed comments and links. My partner and I are both oil painters. We've been showing in the Atlanta area for about 10 years. We now live in Salisbury NC which is smaller than Asheville, which didn't really fit us either. We were hoping to find an area that offered the amenities of Atlanta but smaller and more laid back. We lived in Virginia-Highlands which is really great intown neighborhood but the property taxes were getting so high and the neighborhood was changing. For most people, they would say for the better - more families, jogging strollers, luxe cars. People keeping up with the Jones and missing the individuality and charm that was there about 10 years ago.

We're definitely going back to Greenville to check things out this coming first Friday. I think this might be a good fit especially with it centralized locations to Atlanta, Charlotte,etc. Thanks again.
Hi Oonakat,
My partner and I moved to Greenville several years ago after living in larger cities and we have never looked back. Love it here.

As for amenities, when it comes to food, Greenville holds its won with much larger cities, having developed a local foodie scene frequented by famous chefs.....Euphoria for example:
Euphoria Greenville - September 23 -26, 2010
To go along with the local foodie scene, numerous organic farms have sprung up in the area (just this past week it was announced the Greenville area would be home to South Carolina's first truffle farm). As for grocery stores, Greenville doesn't skip a beat as it has Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Earth Fare, Fresh Market, numerous regular grocery chains and ethnic markets en masse.

The art scene is very strong....I see Skyliner posted some great links.

The opportunity for outdoor activity is un-matched by any other city I've lived in.

There is a large population of Europeans (with BMW, Michelin, etc being here) who appreciate art, food, wine, etc so your art I'm sure will receive notice. With you and your partner both being painters, I'm sure you have head of Artisphere. Check it out, if you haven't heard about it: Visual Arts & Artists Row | Artisphere

Best of luck and much joy to you, wherever you choose to live.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 6,666,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico77 View Post
We really enjoy the downtown area although don't visit as often as I wish we would but visit it much more than we went downtown in Atlanta. Hubby and my first date was in the Virginia Highlands at Everybody's Pizza! I do see the similarities between the two.
I agree about Everybody's! YUM! Fern bar and pizza joint all in one.....fun place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area