Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,162,836 times

Advertisements

Thinking about replacing windows and wondering if anyone has put in new replacement windows recently.

If so, can you tell me what companies windows you considered when looking, what windows you chose, and why? Did you use a company, and if so, were you happy with the work they did to the point you'd recommend them without reservation? Are you happy with the window(s) you got and what differences have you seen since they were installed.

I've got one estimate from one guy so far, he sells 3 windows. The one I like the most look-wise is made by Alside and is the 09L1, the second in line is one by Vinylmax, the Easton model.

Has anyone ever heard or had experience with either of these windows/companies?

Thanks for any input/suggestions/advice you may be able to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,501,989 times
The higher quality builders around here use either Simonton or Anderson. My home has Simonton and they are wonderful.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 AM

506 posts, read 1,220,401 times
Anyone have any input on approximately how much it costs to have windows replaced (not including the price of the window, just labor)? We have 18 year old wood windows and have considered having them all replaced with Vinyl. We have no idea how much it costs though and didn't really want to go out and get a quote, we were mostly just curious right now.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,393,093 times
We purchased a foreclosure last month, and vinyl replacement windows were the first renovation we had performed. We had in home visits and quote from several companies, but ultimately decided to use Southern Vinyl Windows. They're a local company who manufactures their own windows. The installers were very nice and professional. The two man crew replaced 20 windows in two days, without leaving a speck of trash, and did a phenominal job on the install. I can't find a single drop of caulk out of place. I don't know enough to tell you the difference between our windows and the specific models you listed, but the windows we bought do qualify for the energy tax credit. We couldn't be happier with our decision.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM

145 posts, read 355,844 times
Make sure to get the Low E argon gas filled windows.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,162,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The higher quality builders around here use either Simonton or Anderson. My home has Simonton and they are wonderful.
Thanks for the info, will look in to that brand, haven't heard of it, but then again, I haven't heard anything beyond the big companies like Anderson, Marvin, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
Anyone have any input on approximately how much it costs to have windows replaced (not including the price of the window, just labor)? We have 18 year old wood windows and have considered having them all replaced with Vinyl. We have no idea how much it costs though and didn't really want to go out and get a quote, we were mostly just curious right now.
I'm not sure about labor costs only, but it's not only how good the windows are, but the installation is probably just as important if not moreso than the price of the windows. I've read stories of good windows out in poorley only to have to redo it all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
We purchased a foreclosure last month, and vinyl replacement windows were the first renovation we had performed. We had in home visits and quote from several companies, but ultimately decided to use Southern Vinyl Windows. They're a local company who manufactures their own windows. The installers were very nice and professional. The two man crew replaced 20 windows in two days, without leaving a speck of trash, and did a phenominal job on the install. I can't find a single drop of caulk out of place. I don't know enough to tell you the difference between our windows and the specific models you listed, but the windows we bought do qualify for the energy tax credit. We couldn't be happier with our decision.
What type of windows did you get put in? How did their prices compare to others? Warranty? Low E argon gas like KClooking mentioned?

One window I was shown has an air infiltration that I guess is high, didn't know to even think about that. Definitely need to do some investigating on what to look for in windows before I make any decisions.

Thanks for the input - hope others will chime in as well.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:06 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,658,320 times
I heard good things about both Champion and Taylors Windows. Taylors Windows did a great job on 1/2 of our windows. I love them. They are the top of their line.

To the person who asked how much they are. I think it was $2500 for 6 windows. About $400 each, but this was their best window. They sold cheaper ones.

Differences

for one, I can open these easily. They are easy to open on nice days. Easy to clean. We also had some bees that liked our old wood frame windows for nesting. Now that the wood is wrapped with metal and vinyl, no more bees. Also, i have more peace of mind that we can open the windows in case of a fire. a few of the old windows had been painted shut, which i considered a fire safety hazard. Now we can open them and exit should a fire start on first floor.

Oh and they are so pretty from the street now. My neighbors were happier. The place looks better. Going to replace the other 11 windows as soon as we save the money.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,501,989 times
You can also bargan now on windows because of the lull in construction. The best advice I can give after owning maybe 17 or 18 homes and building 6 from the ground up, is NOT to buy any windows from Lowe's or Home Depot. On replacement windows, I've had the best experience with either a private contractor buying them and installing them, or having the dealer install them with their own men. And yes, the low E Argon is high recommended. (Champion is a big chain, and very expensive imho.)

If you pay more than $250 or $280 per window, installed, you are paying too mich. Again, imho.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 AM

68 posts, read 132,263 times
Taylors Windows. Best value for the money. Just purchased them and they are way above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area