Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 19,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
Well that was indeed a fascinating history of Greenville, thankfully it was just that history!
Having come from NY myself I know the same can be said for the racial tensions up north in the 60's. I remember (actually was told about) the race riots in the 60's, where my Father had to bring his gun to take me to the doctors office which was in the city.
My point is the whole country has come a long way from the 60's. Being new to Greenville I have not noticed any racial/gay tensions here. I'm sure it exists, because it exists everywhere. But I can honestly say that at least it seems to me that people (all people) get along better here than where I lived up north.
I don't know. I keep reading these same questions in the forum and it really bothers me. It just not true! Greenville is a beautiful place with some of the nicest people I have met. I can't tell you the number of times that I'm driving through a neighborhood looking at houses (house shopping) and people will wave. That just didn't happen up north. Or I'm walking downtown and people say hi. I can honestly say that so far I love this area, and do not regret leaving the so very "progressive" north for 1 minute.
That's just my $.02
I am very happy to read your post! I am a Greenville native, my husband is from NY.
We live here very happily. I am glad that you are also!
I hate when people make generalizations about SC or Greenville. To me this is being just as prejudiced as someone who makes generalizations about another race,religion, or sexual orientation.
I will be the first to admit there are bigots, racists, and other narrow minded people in Greenville, but like you mentioned, that is everywhere,not just the south.
Yes, there are people in power in Greenville that do the wrong thing, but we also live in a country where the government is ALWAYS doing the wrong thing. And please do not believe the generalization about Southern Baptists, each church is different, as each individual is different.
Some are bigoted, some are progressive thinkers each has a right to their own views.
All of that said. i just want to say :
WELCOME TO GREENVILLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Not sure why everything has to always come around to race. For the most part people in South Carolina are like people in every state, they look approvingly on those who work and support the community. They also look poorly on those who sit at home and collect welfare checks and spend the taxpayers money, and unfortunetly the percentages reflect that more blacks (not african americans) collect from welfare than whites, though some whites do also. For most greenvillians dont look at color and focus more on contribution to society, and so should everyone. I am so tired of (mostly blacks) always bringing up race. Nobody should be judged by race, and if it would be dropped, nobody would be.
I agree, for the most part, with what you said.
I don't think race should be brought up , I like , don't like, love, hate ,can't stand, want to hang out with, people based on how they act , not their skin color.
If people are lazy, irritating, stupid acting ,breaking the law,irresponsible, hating, angry or otherwise unappealing , I don't like being around them , white, black,red ,yellow, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu , gay or whatever.

I have been a "victim" of racial prejudice . I am a white woman and face rude, harsh behaviour all the time from black females. I just dont understand it. I want racism to end, but if EVERYONE doesnt drop it, it will continue.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
I am a minority, I moved up here 3 years ago. I've been treated really well. Everyone here is really nice.

But, I never know what they say when I'm not around. They may not be so nice when my back is turned, but I can't live my life worrying about that or I'd be miserable here.

My experience here has been fantastic. I prefer to give this place the benefit of the doubt and not dwell on the negatives.

Greenville has grown quite a bit since I first moved here. Alot of the people that move here are from big cities and are more accepting of different lifestyles / races.

The fundamentalist right is definitely here, but people are people wherever you go. All that stuff takes a back seat when you get to know someone and all of the stereotypes go away.

In closing, this really is a great place and the people as far as i can tell are some the nicest I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Welcome to Greenville!
Greenville is just like any other area of the country.
Yes, we natives are proud to be southern and of our ancestory, but who isnt.
There are bad apples and negative histories everywhere you go and in everyones ancestory.
Embrace the positives and the world is a better place!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.
First of all I am going to tell you the embarassing truth even if it hurts. I am a South Carolina native and have lived in Greenville more than 30 years. Airing Dirty Laundry is never pleasant but if you are going to move here you should know about it. Know that we want more people to move here who do not share the bigots view of things because we wish to make Greenville a better place and change the attitudes of the past for the better. You might find it difficult to adjust at first but it will come and with your help and activism it will. IF gay people and other diverse groups did not move here ---we would be overrun by the bigoted 'Conservatives' who need to be a very tiny minority instead of being somewhat more than that.

My friend who is a businessman from New York seems to think that Greenville is one of the most backward places he as ever tried to do business. I am sorry to say that he is very prejustice and does not realize that Greenville does not now share New York State values although many of these would be welcomed here to help bring about change.

I am sorry to say that there are parts of South Carolina that even shock me as to how backward they are. So I am not surprized at what you heard about the 'plantation' attitude you heard about. I was recently invited to apply for a teaching job at Estill High School. There are at least 3 blacks to every white person in this community. I knew nothing about this community and arrived to early and decided to have a look around and went to a restaurant for lunch. The 1960 civil rights era never got here. Blacks still go to the back door of the restaurants there. In Abbeville, the Confederacy seems to live on with the Sons of the Confederacy which is not as innocent group as they like you to believe. Abbeville was a very nice town until these folks arrived.

South Carolina can be dividend into four Geographic areas: the Low Country that includes the coast;. the Midlands ---mostly flat lands; the Piedmont and Mountains of which Greenville is part of. Each region has its own customs and kinds of dialect and speech. If you listen carefully you will know where someone is from by the way they speak. Charlestonians sound much like they are Englishmen. Midlands folks sound like the Late Senator Strom Thurmond and when you hear a slow like twang or a Scottiish kind of accent---that is definitely upstate. The twang is particularly noticiable when people say that they are from South Carolina---they will pronounce it as South Kuh----LINE--Na with Lyn held on longer than the rest of the word. The days when it seem like it took someone forever and a day to get three words out of their mouth are long gone---changed by television. The South has different accents--none of the fake Gone with the Wind stereotyped accents which never were like that here.

Here in Greenville, our main problem are fundamentalist folks and Southern Baptists who preach hatred towards gay people, members of certain races and religions etc and think that everyone must be as intolerant as they are and believe as they do---their preachers go to the extent of telling members how to vote and if they do not they are thrown out of the church. These are the people who preach hatred and up at North Greenville University kick out gay people simply because they were born gay. They are the ones who are in the long run reponsible for the murder of Sean Kennedy which was a hate crime which local authorities and State law does not want to recognize it as such. Sean's murderer, Stephen murdered basically got a slap on the wrist for what he did.
First Baptist broke with these fascist bigots and even have gay people serving in their church which they welcome warmly. Furman University also broke with them and is one of the finest Private Universities in the Southeast as the result---the Southern Baptist Convention was telling Furman, as they tell North Greenville University, today, that they could only hire Baptists and they had to fire all Jews and gay faculty and anyone who was not Baptist, Christian or who was an atheist. Jews have traditionally been a part of Furman since at least the 1930s when Alfred Einstein's son Hans moved here and taught at Furman. Until Alfred died, it was common to see him around town. The Einsteins still live here and also operate a Business. Just because these people are here it is very important that you move here to help those of us who do not share these folks opinions balance out things so that they do not rule the roost as they did a few years ago and engaged in ethnic cleansing by passing a County Ordinance that required all gay people fo the county to leave by Sundown or face arrest and fines. This created quiet an uproar which still has not died down after more than 10 years and has blackened the name of Greenville ever since. Church and State are separate but Bob Jones University folks had taken over the County Council and this resulted in some politicians being booted off the Council because they followed the Bob Jones line including Gloria Haskins as Bob Jones graduate, who is only a US Citizen by marriage---she got caught up in the illegal immigrant anger of the people and then her hatred of gay people( she was one of the leaders of the pack in ethnic cleansing of Greenville of gay people), got her out of office. Greenville County is much the better that she is gone. Through all of the this; the City of Greenville was very supportive of our gay community. The City has always been a kinder place than the county.

Many household name celebrities are from here and still have relatives here or visit. In 1960; Jesse Jackson needed to use the the public library. Although his parents paid county taxes that went to support the Library; he and his buddies went in and were ask to leave because of their race. More recently the issue of Martin Luther King Holiday came up and county council, again led by the Bob Jones Factions, refuse to honor this Holiday. This brought Jesse back home (his relatives still live here). County Councilmen tried to send Jesse back home to Chicago because they said he had no business here since he no longer lived in Greenville---not fully true. It took much pressure but Council finally relented after more than 3 years and made Martin Luther King a County Holiday. Many people here are very embarrassed by Bob Jones University and its antics and wish it would leave town as it did when it moved here from Tennesse in 1949 as their more extreame Baptist members were responsible for bringing Fred Phelps to town which no one welcomed here and even ask Fred to please leave. Most of the Community were schocked when for once Bob Jones joined in with the rest of the community in not welcoming Fred just as we recently were when a Gay Christian protest group came to town to protest Bob Jones treatment of gay people. While they were not permitted on campus; the University did bring out food for them and were hospitable otherwise. Jesse Jackson is one of many famous people from Greenville or who have lived here for awhile---that includes some noted authors as my friends: Dorothy Allison, actor Wallace Merk, the former conductor of the USSR Symphony Orchestra. and many more.

I remember when Greenville was Hicksville personified. Harper's Magazine came to town and said that Greenville was a place of where crude redneck country bumpkins went to bed with the chickens and got up with them and was dominated by Bob Jones University holy rollers who annoyed people preaching on the street downtown, and where mill owners engaged in subtle forms of slavery by failing to pay their employees fair wages thereby keeping them always in debt to the company store. IF an employee had a falling out with a supervisor--- the employee could find himself, his family cast out of his rental house, owned by the mill owners, on the coldest of winter nights with no appeal or mercy. Mill owners ran their businesses as oligarchs of a private fiefdom in which true democrasy did not exist. This situation was furthermore aided and abetted by the South Carolina State Employment Agency who always came down on the Employers side no matter how unjust doing so it was and also sought to interfer with fair bargaining rights by telling the would be employee what the job paid which the candidate could take or leave but most put up with low wages. Mill owners often had politicians and police in their pockets because they paid most of their salaries. Today, most of these people, who lived through the mill period, are elderly and living on welfare benefits and a pittance of Social Security because they never made enough money to save and were forced to lived hand to mouth. Back then Greenville was known as the Textile Center of the South---basically a one business town which the mill owners did what they could to stifle the development of other diversified businesses because they feared that these businesses would deprive them of their slaves and force them to pay more. Unions were a dirty word back then and more than one person not only lost their job for joining the Union but also found themselves on the Street on the coldest of winter nights.

Greenville is a very nice place and is growing rapidly and has changed drastically since the 1960s. We have several legitimate theatres (where some well known Hollywood actors got their start), a Symphony, several art museums and other museums and are very conviently located between most major cities--- 1.5 hours to Atlanta and about an hour to Charlotte, a hour to Asheville, North Carolina ---which is like New York City in many ways. We have parks and downtown biking and walking trails along with waterfall downtown. Numerous publications are published here. We are a financial center also among other recommendations of you comming here. If you come invite your friends from elsewhere to also move here. Greenvillians love their trees and we regularly go to battle over folks and others who want to chop them down and make us a concrete jungle which Greenville use to be until around 1970 when Mayor Max Heller got a master plan going for the city and planted trees downtown as well as began landscaping downtown with flowers and sculpture. The Plan sought to turn Greenville into as beautiful city as Vienna, Austria which Max Heller had known before being forced to leave by the Nazi's. Our International Airport is one of the most beautiful in the United States---it is more like entering a palatial estate that has been landscaped with fountains and sculpture and art rather than the industrial concrete jungle of say LAX in Los Angeles or Boston International. The runway is currently 2 miles long and thus large jets can land there. There are more than 10 Universities, Colleges and Insitutions of Higher learning in Greenville or nearby.

I have live away from Greenville but seem to keep coming back here. I know just how backward and bigoted Greenville once was. This is now changing and you would do our community a great favor by moving here and help us change it to a more balanced and diverse City and County.
You act like Greenville is the most backward and prejudiced town in the world.
I agree , there are people in power that need to be replaced, but the citizens here are for the most part very caring and open people.
The older people were raised to be prejudiced. Now that the older generations are passing away, there will be more and more change. But I dont think we should discard all of their thinking. If we want to become just like some of the bigger cities, we should just move there and not try to make Greenville into another culture. Of course there is room for everyone, but we need to preserve our culture also! If it wasnt for our ancestors forging the wilderness and building Greenville, it wouldnt even exist.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 AM

137 posts, read 396,857 times
Default Good general advice from ga2email!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
I am a minority, I moved up here 3 years ago. I've been treated really well. Everyone here is really nice.

But, I never know what they say when I'm not around. They may not be so nice when my back is turned, but I can't live my life worrying about that or I'd be miserable here.

My experience here has been fantastic. I prefer to give this place the benefit of the doubt and not dwell on the negatives.

Greenville has grown quite a bit since I first moved here. Alot of the people that move here are from big cities and are more accepting of different lifestyles / races.

The fundamentalist right is definitely here, but people are people wherever you go. All that stuff takes a back seat when you get to know someone and all of the stereotypes go away.

In closing, this really is a great place and the people as far as i can tell are some the nicest I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
We've gotten to see all kinds of answers on this thread, but I really like this one from ga2email. Minimal obsession with the ugly or beautiful details and emphasis on what one can do to make things better and guard one's mind against those negative elements that we all know are out there. That makes it useful for all kinds of situations. We are all bigger than the problems that we face. If we spend time making an inventory of the details, its time wasted that could be used to change or enjoy the world.

Most of us in Greenville are happy for the influence of outsiders, as it often turns out to be very positive, and at least brings in stimulating points of view. I hope we continue to attract lively, positive people to our area and one way to do it is to be interested in them and what they can bring here.
This forum is a great way to share, and to show a cross section of our diversity. I love it.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 AM

18 posts, read 57,561 times
Well, I have lived here 30 years, my entire life. I think it is Great here in the upstate, we are not perfect, but, like some of you agree, neither is the rest of the country. I am soooo tired of the type of statements that are made about this area. Then those who jump on the "bandwagon" of putting us down. Just because you state "Im a native" or "I have lived in the south for --- whatever amount of time" doesn't make it ok to bash. That is like an overweight person calling a fellow "fatty" FAT ... they may be the same, but, it still hurts and isnt ok to say. Just like people saying "My best friend is <insert race or sexual pref>" That doesnt make it ok to bash them ... it doesnt give you the "Bash Pass"
Another thing ... What is it with "please bring all of your friends from some other state here to save us" haha What are you, a recruiter of more ignorance? I am sickened by your attitude towards life. And a little amused by your total blindness of your own "prejudice/backwords" way of thinking.

I am not trying to insult you, but, like you I am just stating my opinion. It really does make me angry though. It is this kind of thinking that holds everyone back. There will always be people who are prejudice against something ... just like there will ALWAYS be criminals, murderers, rapist and ever other horrible kind of person who exists in the world, but that doesnt mean EVERYONE is evil, right? I know a LOT more good people than bad.

I have been all over the place, and trust me, I have met a lot more welcoming people here in the south than anywhere else. So what is wrong with people who go for the stereotype? You're killing me.

Fact ...
there is someone of every race that hates another race.
there is someone of all sexual pref who hates someone that does not love as they love.
there is someone of every religion that takes it wayyyyy too far.
there are men who hate women, women who hate men.

I am a white southern woman who can't stand nascar or country music, whose black bestfriend LOVES both!! I don't care about who the person next to me is sleeping with, but, one of my CLOSEST friends, who is gay, gets grossed out seeing same sex couples making out in public!! hahahaha WE ARE ALL A LITTLE SCREWY!!! Not everyone or everything is as stereo-typed, when EVERYONE can stop worrying about everyone else that is trully the ONLY moment the world will be at peace. But that will Never happen .. the world (for the most part) is obsessed with trouble, drama and gossip.

If you want to move to Greenville because you love it here as most of us do, PLEASE COME!! If you are only coming here to "change or help" the area ... how about thinking again.

Sorry for the rant .. some of the threads just struck me the wrong way and I get so tired of this way of thinking.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.
IF gay people and other diverse groups did not move here ---we would be overrun by the bigoted 'Conservatives' who need to be a very tiny minority instead of being somewhat more than that.
I started to read your post, a stopped at the statement above. Why should I bother with what someone like you. I'm sure you consider yourself to be an inclusive sort of person, but it just goes to show once again that there is nothing less tolerant than a 'tolerant' person.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM

65 posts, read 212,751 times
I am a Damn Yankee, meaning a Yankee who came down here and stayed. I have been here since 1992 and it is still not home. I am still here because it is where my twelve year old daughter's mother and mother's family live.

That said, if a house fell out of the sky today and landed on my ex-wife, I would be out of the state before her feet finished withering up!

I have been a police officer here, a National Guardsman, worked in factories, car dealerships, an insurance agency, and a tattoo shop. The gays and the yuppies live in their little pocket islands, sheltered (to an extent) from the racism, intolerance, corruption, poverty, ignorance, brutality, illiteracy, clannishness, and often two-faced Southern Hospitality.

The Cultural Christians, who affiliate, but are not at all Christ-like outside of the company of their fellow church members are a plague! They build eight million dollar church youth centers for their kids that get used fifteen or twenty hours a week while the homeless sleep on the streets and the local The Boys and Girls Clubs beg for donations. Many of these churches are a community within a community without being a part of the community. Notice I did not say ALL Christians.

How many of the folks here with forty thousand dollar cars have driven them through the poorer neighborhoods where you see disposable diapers hanging on the clotheslines?

Do not get me wrong. I have lived here for sixteen and a half years and have many beloved friends here. Many of them are decent, sincere, honest, caring people. But I don't think for a second the South is growing up. They are just becoming more PC on the surface and trying harder to hide their dark underbelly.

Last edited by Kowulz; 01-11-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowulz View Post
Do not get me wrong. I have lived here for sixteen and a half years and have many beloved friends here. Many of them are decent, sincere, honest, caring people. But I don't think for a second the South is growing up. They are just becoming more PC on the surface and trying harder to hide their dark underbelly.
The South is no different than any other part of the country.

And your hating on the area-- check out Greenville's charitable giving. It surpasses many larger cities.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
The South is no different than any other part of the country.
If everyone keeps moving here, that statement will be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area