Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 AM

32 posts, read 74,469 times

Advertisements

Coming to visit Greenville first week in July. Gonna do a little house( Simpsonville, Fountain Inn) and job hunting. Not ready for the move yet but want to get a feel for whats happening there. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,532,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
Coming to visit Greenville first week in July. Gonna do a little house( Simpsonville, Fountain Inn) and job hunting. Not ready for the move yet but want to get a feel for whats happening there. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated........
Not sure what your employment background is....but in Greenville manufacturing (dominates the job scene) rules. Purchased a house in Greenville as soon as I relocated from NYC....looking back it was a bad idea....should have just rented an apartment and waited to see if it was a place I could be happy for a long period of time.

Some words of wisdom....even if you find a job don't rush into purchasing a home...spend the first 2 years renting an apartment while you decide whether or not you like Greenville enough to plant roots and stay there for the long haul. This way if you get there and don't like it you will not have to worry about the headaches of selling a home. In other words as someone said to me once...."date the area before you marry it"!

Good luck...

Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM

470 posts, read 593,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Some words of wisdom....even if you find a job don't rush into purchasing a home...spend the first 2 years renting an apartment while you decide whether or not you like Greenville enough to plant roots and stay there for the long haul. This way if you get there and don't like it you will not have to worry about the headaches of selling a home. In other words as someone said to me once...."date the area before you marry it"!

Good luck...
LOL Don't worry about $20,000 or $25,000 you'll throw away in rent... You unfortunately had a bad experience. We get it! Greenville is not NYC, but then again no one ever claimed it was. Yes we have a large manufacturing sector but that's not the only type of work. My opinion is that you came to Greenville for all the wrong reasons and it just didn't work out for you. You apparently are very specialized in your field and have 0 skills outside of that.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM

5,465 posts, read 8,245,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
LOL Don't worry about $20,000 or $25,000 you'll throw away in rent... You unfortunately had a bad experience. We get it! Greenville is not NYC, but then again no one ever claimed it was. Yes we have a large manufacturing sector but that's not the only type of work. My opinion is that you came to Greenville for all the wrong reasons and it just didn't work out for you. You apparently are very specialized in your field and have 0 skills outside of that.
Exactly

Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,813,752 times
Quote:
Purchased a house in Greenville as soon as I relocated from NYC....looking back it was a bad idea....should have just rented an apartment and waited to see if it was a place I could be happy for a long period of time.

Good luck...
this is good advice IMHO. I lived here about 2 years(renting) before my wife and I purchased a home. it seems there are those that have an idea of what Greenville is like and then move here and realize its not what they thought it was. My wife and I love it here and both have great jobs, and while we may not be here forever, we are happy we made the move.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your employment background is....but in Greenville manufacturing (dominates the job scene) rules. Purchased a house in Greenville as soon as I relocated from NYC....looking back it was a bad idea....should have just rented an apartment and waited to see if it was a place I could be happy for a long period of time.

Good luck...

I know people on this thread get down on you but that's some real sound advice. Thanks. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
this is good advice IMHO. I lived here about 2 years(renting) before my wife and I purchased a home. it seems there are those that have an idea of what Greenville is like and then move here and realize its not what they thought it was. My wife and I love it here and both have great jobs, and while we may not be here forever, we are happy we made the move.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of work do you and your wife do?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,447,435 times
Quote:
It's also important to note that losing your job after moving to Greenville probably has a lot to do with your feelings about the area.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,813,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what type of work do you and your wife do?
I work for a shipping company, and my wife is a psychologist.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 AM

506 posts, read 1,215,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
It's also important to note that losing your job after moving to Greenville probably has a lot to do with your feelings about the area.
Wow so that's the reason for his/her near-constant hostility?

On topic, I'm not sure how people 'get the wrong idea' about Greenville. I was told what Greenville is like before I moved here, I visited for 3 days before we moved and we loved everything about it. The impression we got from hearing stories and from visiting for 3 days ended up being pretty much dead on. We've been here 4 years now and loved every moment of it. We bought a house a few months after moving here. If it takes you longer than 2-3 months to decide whether you like the place or not, it's probably not for you.

Renting a house in Greenville can cost significantly more than buying one, in today's market. Unless you are really unsure of being here, I don't see a reason to wait 2 years. And if you're that unsure of being here, maybe it's time to pick somewhere else?

Edit: Aside from that, and I know this argument gets used a lot, but it's a major buyer's market for real estate right now - in 2 years who knows what will happen to the interest rates, the cost of homes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area