Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:51 PM

51 posts, read 169,930 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I did a search and am not finding too much talk on this subject. Has anyone had experience in this situation? How did you find the area to be as so far as accepting pets in a rental. Preferable a house. Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 PM

26 posts, read 201,026 times
well if you are interested in apartments I have a list of over 70 apartments and their pet policies. send me a private message with your e-mail

Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM

698 posts, read 2,836,008 times
Many of the single family homes I've looked at forbid cats (yelling it in ALL CAPS TOO!) though have no mention of forbidding dogs. A few are negotiable. I assume that means they will decide on a case-by-case basis or on how you describe your pet's personality and/or tendency to destructive behavior. I'm sure there's a substantial pet fee attached to cover any damage your pets cause.

Personally this has made us decide to buy a house when we move Upstate rather than rent. Renting is less costly up front but the restrictions on cats (we have two and don't plan to dump them off someplace while we live in a rental home for a year) and prospect of having to move twice is enough of a negative to not do it.

Btw, when I looked last week I couldn't help but notice the rents on single-family homes have risen significantly since summer started. Something that might have been $1200-$1300/month in winter is now asking $1700-$1900.

I can only assume rents rise every summer and that it's better to start a lease in the colder months. That's something to remember.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies! For now, I'm about a year out from relocating. Just trying to get a feel for what we might be facing. We have two yellow labs and two cats (and fish, and birds). So, a single family house is the ideal. Buying would solve the problem, but there are other issues that make the idea of renting for a while seem more logical. Plus, would give us time to really get to know the areas and where we would like to buy. I went on a website call rentclicks.com Saw a few houses that do allow pets, so there does appear to be hope.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,827,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
Many of the single family homes I've looked at forbid cats (yelling it in ALL CAPS TOO!) though have no mention of forbidding dogs. A few are negotiable. I assume that means they will decide on a case-by-case basis or on how you describe your pet's personality and/or tendency to destructive behavior. I'm sure there's a substantial pet fee attached to cover any damage your pets cause.

Personally this has made us decide to buy a house when we move Upstate rather than rent. Renting is less costly up front but the restrictions on cats (we have two and don't plan to dump them off someplace while we live in a rental home for a year) and prospect of having to move twice is enough of a negative to not do it.
thats weird, usually its the other way around, because they think cats don't do as much damage as dogs do. Although, in my opinion, cats can do just as much damage as dogs, not to say that they would, but I think they are definitely capable of it
Of course I guess it depends on the landlord, I have had a few private owners tell me that I have to cough up a $300 "non refundable" deposit. when asked why it was non refundable, I was told there was sure to be expenses after having a dog living in the home for a year which didn't answer my question, because what if there wasn't?? then i'm out 300 buck for no reason? Needless to say, I didn't waste my time looking at those places. I think a lot of landlords look for any reason to jack up the price on ya, even though they are supposed to have a special account for deposits and they are not supposed to spend then unless something happens that you should have to pay for. anyway, I rant, good luck on your hunts everyone, I hope you find as wonderful a place as I did!
(I love when they ask you about your pet, like you would tell them "yeah my dog pees all over the house, barks a lot and chews on walls, oh and he loves to bite people!")
Noodles

Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 PM

79 posts, read 363,701 times
Default I share your frustration

My husband and I were lucky to find a great landlord who didn't even charge us a pet deposit. We did find a FEW houses for rent where animals were welcome, but the deposit was a bit on the hefty side. (We have a small cat.)

The whole pet situation was ONE of the reasons we became completely disgusted with the "Garden Apartment" rental idea. If you hang in there, you will find someone to work with you. I think that the people who truly get the short end of the stick are the owners of large dogs.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollimarie View Post
My husband and I were lucky to find a great landlord who didn't even charge us a pet deposit. We did find a FEW houses for rent where animals were welcome, but the deposit was a bit on the hefty side. (We have a small cat.)

The whole pet situation was ONE of the reasons we became completely disgusted with the "Garden Apartment" rental idea. If you hang in there, you will find someone to work with you. I think that the people who truly get the short end of the stick are the owners of large dogs.

Read your other post too. So glad you found such a great place! And, Skyliner is a gem! It's his pictures that first caught my attention and made me fall in love with the area. Haven't even seen it in person yet. Almost feel like I don't have to. With all the great people on this board and the beautiful pictures, who could ask for more?! Anyway, yes, it's the dogs I'm concerned with. I would call them more medium (they're the English breed of Labs), but I'm sure someone renting a home would think anything larger than a "purse" dog is too big! We own an investment property in Tampa and allowed pets when we rented. Guess I would be a hypocrit if I didn't!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 AM

79 posts, read 363,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
Read your other post too. So glad you found such a great place! And, Skyliner is a gem! It's his pictures that first caught my attention and made me fall in love with the area. Haven't even seen it in person yet. Almost feel like I don't have to. With all the great people on this board and the beautiful pictures, who could ask for more?! Anyway, yes, it's the dogs I'm concerned with. I would call them more medium (they're the English breed of Labs), but I'm sure someone renting a home would think anything larger than a "purse" dog is too big! We own an investment property in Tampa and allowed pets when we rented. Guess I would be a hypocrit if I didn't!
Thank you so much! I posted a picture of the house we will be living in. I put it in message where Skyliner showed a photo of the other house I was considering. Granted it's not the best, as my husband took the picture on a rather shoddy disposable camera and it was scanned in a rush before I could crop it.

I am really impressed with people on this forum. I was also impressed with South Carolina. I have literally made a friend already with my neighbor. The principal at the school I will be teaching at is even going to help out and give us a frame for a bed!

I lived in Spring Hill for a few years and had to leave. The cost of living was too high on my teacher salary. I grew up between NJ and Florida. My parents divorced when I was four, and I went back and forth between Middlesex county NJ and Port Richey for many years. Florida has some good points, but I really don't regret leaving there.

Tampa is nice though. It's just a bit on the pricey side in comparison to SC!

I hope to see you in SC!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollimarie View Post
Thank you so much! I posted a picture of the house we will be living in. I put it in message where Skyliner showed a photo of the other house I was considering. Granted it's not the best, as my husband took the picture on a rather shoddy disposable camera and it was scanned in a rush before I could crop it.

I am really impressed with people on this forum. I was also impressed with South Carolina. I have literally made a friend already with my neighbor. The principal at the school I will be teaching at is even going to help out and give us a frame for a bed!

I lived in Spring Hill for a few years and had to leave. The cost of living was too high on my teacher salary. I grew up between NJ and Florida. My parents divorced when I was four, and I went back and forth between Middlesex county NJ and Port Richey for many years. Florida has some good points, but I really don't regret leaving there.

Tampa is nice though. It's just a bit on the pricey side in comparison to SC!

I hope to see you in SC!
I'm happy to hear how impressed you are with the area! You've got enough of a diversity of living experiences that makes your opinion even more impressive!

We bought the house in Tampa because our oldest son and family lives there. Thought we would relocate there after our youngest graduates in 2008, but after several visits and research, it's just too big, too hot and wages are not the best. Then the taxes and insurance increases of late have definitly put the nail the that coffin!

So, with my youngests graduation next June, and my office closing the same month, it makes sense to do something then. As I said, I stumbled over Skyliners pictures and just fell in love!

All the best and hope to see you in person someday

Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,347 times
Default moving with pets to Tampa Bay Area

I have also been researching properties to rent for multiple pet owners. So far all the "pet friendly" apartments have a 2 pet max, weight restriction and dog breed restrictions. Also pet deposits go up to $300+ and sometimes monthly fee for having pets. if any one could provide alternatives for multiple pet owners please advise.

wanda_velez@redprotectoresdeanimales.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area