Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,702 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...newbie here. My wife and I are, as the title states, seriously looking to "ESCAPE FROM NEW JERSEY" and settle in a much more palpable area like Greenville. We are "empty-nesters"; our son and his family live in the Greater Northwest. Our house here has been paid off for nearly 20 yrs., and there is no family left (alive) here in NJ. There is no longer any reason to stay. We are both "retired", me as a PO receiving a moderate but comfortable pension, and my wife is a Licensed Nurse-Practitioner, but not working by choice here. Not-withstanding the economic recession, we will be listing our home at a very competitive price (you wouldn't believe what people here "think" their homes are worth, and that's why they never sell) for a quick and reasonable sale. We are looking to settle down toward a simpler, easy life (but NOT in any "RETIREMENT COMMUNITY") in a new home and location. We will NEVER miss "The Big City"... we've had our fill of NYC, All of NJ, the taxes, the crime, the "forced abrogation of the Constitution", draconian laws, Politicians...from the Local, County, State, and Federal Representation. I've "lurked" on various sites regarding South Carolina, and the Greenville Area seems idyllic. We like the Small-Town sense that Greenville exhibits (compared to what we're used to). We are planning a trip in the mid-spring...probably for about 3 days...to physically check out the area. I am somewhat reluctant to contact any Realtor(s) for a "three-day tour" because I don't want to be hustled. We pretty much know what we want, to spend on a new/different residenceto meet our needs, and the home market seems great. The various sites I've checked are very generic, so what I am requesting is information on the best areas/zip codes in Greenville or the surrounding locations thereof. Decent average home prices (no McMansions), safest areas, warmest, down-to-earth people. Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Your story sounds a bit familiar (many folks have already done what you are looking at doing)... What kind of residence are you looking for (townhome? condo? home with land?, etc)? That might help locals provide helpful info for you. There's a surprisingly large variety of types of housing here. Here's a REALLY general breakdown for you:

Downtown - mainly small square-footage condos. Walking distance to downtown restaurants, arts venues and festivals. A bit pricey for this region, but they seem to sell fairly well.

North Main - adjacent to downtown with mainly well-kept older homes with mature trees on lots of various sizes. Some townhomes.

Overbrook - similar to North Main, but off East North St and includes smaller bungalow-type residences.

Augusta Road - similar to North Main, but Augusta Rd itself provides close proximity to stores, banks, restaurants, etc. This area abuts the Cleveland Park area - very nice, but pricey!

Eastside - this is kind of a catch-all name for a large area stretching from the Taylors/Greer area to the Pelham Rd area, down to and abutting the Golden Strip (Mauldin to Simpsonville to Fountain Inn-very suburban). It includes everything from McMansions, to older established neighborhoods to various types of condos & townhomes.

I can't really speak to pricing specifics, but there are a couple of real estate folks who post here regularly and can provide info for you without any pressure - just person-to-person.

Good luck, and welcome!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Thank you, UpstateBooster. Well, we're looking for a regular house...perhaps 1/2 acre or so. What we have now is a Bi-level, approx 1750 sq ft. on a 100' x 100' lot...we're on a corner and it had pluses amd minuses where we are. I've scanned some of the Real estate ads for the Greenville Area, and it seems that we could get more bang for the buck in Greenville...from what I've seen, one could get a comparatively-sized house in the Greenville Area for half of what they cost here in NJ where we live, for example, the "average" homes for sale in our area , exactly like ours are being listed for well over $340,000...no wonder that they are listed forever. I know how to be competitive to more insure a faster sale. Sometimes it is best to "take the money and run", if you know what I mean. I really don't want to have to deal with Condos, HOA's, or really any confining restrictions...that's why we want out of NJ. In the town where we presently reside, thechnically, you can't even replace a kitchen fawcet unless you get a "PERMIT" with a fee attached, and you can't even cut down dead trees on your own property, all per Township Ordnance(s). I'm just tired of the crap up here, and my "sheeple" neighbors are beyond any redemption, Divine or secular. So it's long overdue that we hoist anchor and settle in a safe port. BTW, sorry I didn't respond as quickly as I would have liked to do, but it was getting to be dinner time. THANK YOU for your understanding and input.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longinthetooth View Post
Thank you, UpstateBooster. Well, we're looking for a regular house...perhaps 1/2 acre or so. What we have now is a Bi-level, approx 1750 sq ft. on a 100' x 100' lot...we're on a corner and it had pluses amd minuses where we are. I've scanned some of the Real estate ads for the Greenville Area, and it seems that we could get more bang for the buck in Greenville...from what I've seen, one could get a comparatively-sized house in the Greenville Area for half of what they cost here in NJ where we live, for example, the "average" homes for sale in our area , exactly like ours are being listed for well over $340,000...no wonder that they are listed forever. I know how to be competitive to more insure a faster sale. Sometimes it is best to "take the money and run", if you know what I mean. I really don't want to have to deal with Condos, HOA's, or really any confining restrictions...that's why we want out of NJ. In the town where we presently reside, thechnically, you can't even replace a kitchen fawcet unless you get a "PERMIT" with a fee attached, and you can't even cut down dead trees on your own property, all per Township Ordnance(s). I'm just tired of the crap up here, and my "sheeple" neighbors are beyond any redemption, Divine or secular. So it's long overdue that we hoist anchor and settle in a safe port. BTW, sorry I didn't respond as quickly as I would have liked to do, but it was getting to be dinner time. THANK YOU for your understanding and input.
Great. I know you'll be able to get helpful info here then! You DEFINITELY will get "bang for the buck" here, and pay less in taxes, etc to boot! There are lots of areas with properties similar to what you have now (assuming that's what you're looking for here). Hang on a bit, and others here will chime in with more specifics.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
I am a Realtor and don't want you to think I am hustling you but I live in 29644, Fountain Inn. Several of your fellow misplaced New Jersey folks live in our neighborhood. Average home size is around 1,900 sq ft with 1/2 acre lots. There is one for sale in here now. Send me a message if you would like more info.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Thank you , everybody. ruvidu...I would really love to list our present home now, but it is not th eright time with the holidays and the winter fast approaching. We figured that the early Spring...maybe even the first week in march...the weather will, hopefully, getting less severe, people will want to get out from the confines of winter cabin-fever, and as the spring progresses, there should be more home sales traffic. Some years ago I took the New Jersey realtors' Licensing Course, and I learned what is necessary to better the odds for a sale. To that end our home has been our "hobby". I'm not too woried about moving to a new, different area...when we bought our home so long ago we knew what we were looking for, an did well at the time. I even checked, recently with a major bank in our town and aftrer I presented my "plan" I was pretty much assured that my idea was very well-founded and a Mortgage would be very easy for a prospective buyer, since I'm pricint it moderately for our area. Yep...any info will be most thankfully appreciated. NOTE: TO ALL THOSE WHO WOULD ALSO ADD INPUT, I SHALL BE CHECKING BACK OFTEN AND LIKEWISE RESPOND.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
You are correct longinthetooth. Next 6 weeks will be terrible for selling a home. Y'all have a Merry Christmas and come see us when the snow melts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area