Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
We can only hope the deficient SCDOT does a much more efficient and higher quality job of managing this project than the latest repaving of I-85, which remains unfinished after much too long a duration.

I have SERIOUS questions about that. They paved level over level over level for months now......none of the levels match up at bridges or entrance / exit ramps. All the constructions signs are now gone like the project is finished. If the project is finished, then we should ban together and bring a lawsuit against SCDOT or the contractor that did the work. The finished / semi-finished product is a joke. Government waste and lack of oversite at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
We can only hope the deficient SCDOT does a much more efficient and higher quality job of managing this project than the latest repaving of I-85, which remains unfinished after much too long a duration.
They stopped paving I-85 for the remaning of Winter due to cold temperatures. Sloan Construction will restart work on it in the Spring. Asphalt will not cure properly if it's too cold.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
They stopped paving I-85 for the remaning of Winter due to cold temperatures. Sloan Construction will restart work on it in the Spring. Asphalt will not cure properly if it's too cold.
I realize that and had also heard the reason for the current delay, however they were extremely inefficient throughout the summer months, not to mention the terrible amount of toxic dust they left on the highway after using an asphalt grinder (the kind used to level an uneven road) night after night (with too many long breaks between periods of work).

Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I realize that and had also heard the reason for the current delay, however they were extremely inefficient throughout the summer months, not to mention the terrible amount of toxic dust they left on the highway after using an asphalt grinder (the kind used to level an uneven road) night after night (with too many long breaks between periods of work).
Can't argue with that. I'm also not sure though why they didn't make the pavement in every lane the same level before Winter hit. I have filed a complaint with the SCDOT before. Maybe I should do it again in regards to this project.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM

From Sloan Construction:

Paving is not complete on I-85 in Greenville and Anderson Ctys. Winter temperatures during our night time working hours do not allow paving operations under 60 degrees F per our South Carolina DOT Contract Specifications. Temperature is the single most critical factor in achieving roadway densities for long pavement life. Bear with us and you will see construction activity again (at night for the traveling public’s safety) when the weather warms back up in March. If you want to see what the finished product will look like take a ride further south on I-85 around mile marker 14 or so. You will find a great riding pavement that meets very stringent cross slope requirements all done at night time while the rest of the world sleeps.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
From Sloan Construction:

Paving is not complete on I-85 in Greenville and Anderson Ctys. Winter temperatures during our night time working hours do not allow paving operations under 60 degrees F per our South Carolina DOT Contract Specifications. Temperature is the single most critical factor in achieving roadway densities for long pavement life. Bear with us and you will see construction activity again (at night for the traveling public’s safety) when the weather warms back up in March. If you want to see what the finished product will look like take a ride further south on I-85 around mile marker 14 or so. You will find a great riding pavement that meets very stringent cross slope requirements all done at night time while the rest of the world sleeps.
60 degrees??? Are you (SCDOT) freakin' KIDDING me?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
60 degrees??? Are you (SCDOT) freakin' KIDDING me?
I don't think SCDOT can control the laws of physics.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I don't think SCDOT can control the laws of physics.
That's just not acceptable. I do believe the state of the highway paving art MUST have progressed past restrictions that severe in the year 2011.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM

98 posts, read 203,650 times
I wonder what happens in summertime - hopefully they can work if it's over 80 degrees. lol

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Some points to make:

Climate change means higher highs and lower lows, in terms of regional weather/air temps, whether the cause is anthropomorphic or not.

Asphalt is asphalt. Concrete is still concrete. They cool at the same rate today as they did years ago. While there may be some material out there that can be laid down in lower temps and remain stable enough and hard enough for the top layer of highway construction, costs certainly make it a bad choice for paving highways. I am sure the same people that are complaining on this thread today about slow construction would be complaining 10X more in a couple years when the highway crumbles because it was laid down in too cold of temperatures. Talk about inefficiency and tax dollars wasted!

The temps have nothing to do with the workers doing the work. They'd be happy to be making the money in cold or hot temps. The restrictions are there because of the effects the temperatures have on the materials, not the people. lol

FWIW, I used to live high in the Rockies (pun intended), and the window for highway construction and repair was 2-3 months at most, sometimes less.

Last edited by Art123; 01-05-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area