Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Will these phones have flash capabilities and more free apps? I'm sticking with android. Droid does.
Can't argue with that. Droid does: http://www.wirelessweek.com/News/201...s-Q4-Business/

Android was by far the largest smartphone platform in the U.S. market in the fourth quarter, with shipments of 12.1 million units – nearly three times those of RIM's BlackBerry devices.

This is just another reason why Verizon does it better.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
This is just another reason why Verizon does it better.
yeah, apple and verizon, great partnership, now they can rip you off twice as bad!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Verizon is good here.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 PM

76 posts, read 173,576 times
Quote:
Will these phones have flash capabilities and more free apps? I'm sticking with android. Droid does.
Loyal Apple customer, have been for nearly my entire life. Finally got an iPhone now that it is on Verizon. Will there be a new one this summer? Probably. That's ok, it will be 2012 before the iPhone is LTE, anyway, and I'll be eligible for an upgrade the.

Regarding the "more free apps" most android apps have ads, no? As opposed to the iOS variants that may cost a buck or two, such as angry birds. I have no issues paying a developer for a good app. Word with friends as example. I had the free/ad supported version. Used the app so much I figured I wanted to directly support the developer and paid for it. Also, the apps for iOS that are ad supported? I read that iOS apps have a higher click through.

They are completely different target audiences. My personal opinion is that many Verizon customers who wanted an iPhone got a drips because switching to AT&T was not an option. When their contracts are up? I suspect a good deal will choose the iPhone. It won't be the sudden surge, as Verizon didn't offer any early upgrade options as AT&T did. So nearly everyone with a droid, since they are just a bit over 2 years on Verizon, are still in a contract.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
Loyal Apple customer, have been for nearly my entire life. Finally got an iPhone now that it is on Verizon. Will there be a new one this summer? Probably. That's ok, it will be 2012 before the iPhone is LTE, anyway, and I'll be eligible for an upgrade the.

Regarding the "more free apps" most android apps have ads, no? As opposed to the iOS variants that may cost a buck or two, such as angry birds. I have no issues paying a developer for a good app. Word with friends as example. I had the free/ad supported version. Used the app so much I figured I wanted to directly support the developer and paid for it. Also, the apps for iOS that are ad supported? I read that iOS apps have a higher click through.

They are completely different target audiences. My personal opinion is that many Verizon customers who wanted an iPhone got a drips because switching to AT&T was not an option. When their contracts are up? I suspect a good deal will choose the iPhone. It won't be the sudden surge, as Verizon didn't offer any early upgrade options as AT&T did. So nearly everyone with a droid, since they are just a bit over 2 years on Verizon, are still in a contract.
Tried them both. Droid is better. You gave the biggest reason for going iphone. Loyalty to Jobs and apple. Droid does more.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
A cell phone and provider are only as good as the manufacturer and number of towers in your area.
I have friends with Droids. One who is is three miles and the voice is crystal clear. The other friend is 50 miles away. The signal is not as good and the voice is not as crystal clear but he is in a city with many towers and I am also in rural area. Sprint and Verizon CMDA use the same towers. The Droids are Sprint and Verizon. I have a Sprint LG touch. I do not like the phone and Sprint is going to change they way they get paid. They are exluding bank for credit card payments. I am switiching to Verizon after 20 years with Sprint and probably IPhone because I like it. .

Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Tried them both. Droid is better. You gave the biggest reason for going iphone. Loyalty to Jobs and apple. Droid does more.
Maybe droid does more. iOS dies everything I want and need it to. I am an IT professional, and know my way around tech. The reason I used Apple products is, to borrow one of their slogans/marketing statements, because they just work. I have an iMac from 2001 that has never given me an issue. It doesn't get used much these days, but if I fire it up? Still works. The windows 7 laptop we have in our house? Drops Internet connectivity when it feels like it. Not network connectivity, and not full Internet connectivity, as I can still use IM, email, etc, just can't browse the web through any browser. I've tried all the fixes on the hundreds of google results out there with others having the same issue to no avail. Meanwhile, all other machines in the house, including my work XP laptop, just work.

I tried the android OS. Nice and all, but in my opinion pales to webOS and iOS. Not to mention that when google releases an OS update, no telling when or if you will get it. iOS? I know that as long as my device is one of the past two and current? I will get the update when apple releases it.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Like I said, you're a fan of apple and jobs, I prefer the one that does more and lets me have full control of my phone. No loyalty to a company or it's owner. Flash, swype, free apps, 4.3 inch display, hdmi, I like those things.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Like I said, you're a fan of apple and jobs, I prefer the one that does more and lets me have full control of my phone. No loyalty to a company or it's owner. Flash, swype, free apps, 4.3 inch display, hdmi, I like those things.
All valid points. Flash? Only place I see the use on a phone is for sites that have flash menus. Ironically, a large portion of Disney sites fall in this category. video? Not an issue. I have never been on my iPod touch/iPhone and said "man I wish I could watch this video" and not been able to.
Swype seems cool. Screen size is a choice, and yes, one Apple does not provide. HDMI? AirPlay is amazing. I tap a button watching a video on my iPhone and instantly pick up where I was on my plasma via the apple tv.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
All valid points. Flash? Only place I see the use on a phone is for sites that have flash menus. Ironically, a large portion of Disney sites fall in this category. video? Not an issue. I have never been on my iPod touch/iPhone and said "man I wish I could watch this video" and not been able to.
Swype seems cool. Screen size is a choice, and yes, one Apple does not provide. HDMI? AirPlay is amazing. I tap a button watching a video on my iPhone and instantly pick up where I was on my plasma via the apple tv.
Can you upgrade your battery to extended life? Do you enjoy Jobs having so much control over something you supposedly own? Paying for apps and tunes? Inability to customize to fit you? I didn't. If those don't bother you then I understand and our conversation about this is all over. I appreciate Apple raising the bar, to cause things like Android to come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area