Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 PM

112 posts, read 267,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
To give you an idea. In 2009 I bought a $26,000 car. I paid about $400 in property tax, and last year I paid $300 in taxes. Add the $300 in sales tax and I'm still ahead way of the $2080 I would have paid in sales tax in NY!

Yes but you only paid the sales tax once in NY. Using your figures, if you kept the car 4+ years, you will pay 1300.00 in sales and 'property' taxes and it keeps going for as long as you own it. Its nice that they give it to the schools but terrible considering the report I read, from a link on here, SC has one of the worst school rankings in the country () So for us, we are faced with sending our children to private school at a cost of 12,000.00/yr on top of this silly vehicle property tax that i will pay on 11 cars I own.

But on a lighter note, I agree on the offset, i paid 14,830.00 in 2010 property tax, on a comparable house in Greenville, my tax is 2,500.00 +/-
so i guess its a positive trade off to live in such a nice climate as the upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Greenville has made national top ten lists for the "best place to retire to" and "the most affordable cities" in the United States in national publications within the past few years. Additionally it is listed as a relatively safe place to be during a disaster. It is far enough inland to be protected in the event of a Tsunami and also evidently not severely earthquake prone. Additionally because of its smaller size, crime wise it would be a better place to be if there was a food shortage (according to Joel Skoussen, author of the newest edition of Strategic Relocation of North America) than in a larger metropolitan area.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 479 times
Exclamation Retiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichisWhich? View Post
Hi all,

I will be choosing a place to retire (on a very small fixed income) nearer my folks in Spartanburg, in a few months.

I'm looking at Rutherford County NC, and then at Union County SC.....neither seem very inexpensive, with NC's interesting little fees & taxes, car inspection, etc. SC will be hideous to register my 2010 car, plus tax my Fed retirement.

All in all, though, which is just plain less money spent? I'm looking for a rural area, not a big city!

Anyone?
I would highly recommend run a way from Rutherford County! Poor health care Drugs. Crooked County. Does want to grow county. Lawyers make there living from out side the of this county. I live here and pray that I can move. My health problems are not treated here. This county dose not want to grow.
Jack

Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,715 times
Jack, you failed to notice that you were replying to a thread that had been dormant for more than 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area