Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone ventured out, whether it be they had to go to work out of necessity, or just wanted to get out of the house. If you did, just curious on how you found the roads (cleared vs not, driving conditions, etc) - what you saw was open,(stores gas stations, etc) and how people "behaved" on the roads when it came to driving safely and with respect for the conditions and for other drivers. What did you see/encounter during your time out?

Being not only new to the area, I'm very new to snow too. Born and raised in SOFLA, not something I'm use to seeing, much less venturing out in. Just wondering how things are out there on days like this, and what I may encounter when I do venture out - which will only be out of necessity, never curiousity.

In SOFLA, no snow, of course, but lots of rain, and there you know what areas are prone to flood and know to stay away from those areas. What areas do you know of one would want to avoid that continually have trouble on days like this? Suggestions on what to do if you get stuck, who do you call if you don't have AAA? Does AAA even come? Necessities to keep in your car if you do get stuck?

I was told that if i need to go out in this, only do so if you have a 4WD - I have a 2WD SUV - does that really matter? Any good suggestions on how to drive on snow/icy roads?

Thanks for any feedback, some of this comes from curiosity of what's beyond my front yard, though not curious (or stupid enough) to venture out in this to see and some comes from wanting to know if I do get stuck in a "situation" what's the best way to handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
State and local law enforcement have advised ppl only to go out in an emergency situation. The thing to keep in mind is that they are not equipped to handle a situation like this, so resources are extremely limited.
If forced to go out, I would drive slow, no matter what other ppl are doing drive at a speed you are comfortable at. I'm sure you may have heard this, but if you begin to skid or slide, turn into the slide to compensate and slowly accelerate. I haven't been out so I can't comment, but I would assume hwy 85 has been paved and sanded, as well as many other main rds, stick to as many main rds as possible, those are the ones police will be traveling/patrolling and more plowing and resources will be dedicated to(obviously).

How to drive in snow

Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM

199 posts, read 492,963 times
Where to begin. Oh Yeah. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE!!!!
Seriously though, if you have never driven in snow, this is the last storm to test your skills with. I can see from my window that it is slick out there. Next time we get a 2" storm, leave your house, find a parking lot with few light poles and no curbs and learn how your car responds with hitting the brakes, turning and giving it gas in the snow. But again, this is not the one to learn on - it's slick and the freezing drizzle will make it worse. Unless they have studded snow tires, no one can drive on ice. 4WD does nothing for ice, but for snow, it gives you that much more power and traction to drive through the snow without skidding out. 4WD does help in snow because all 4 tires are powered, so your chances of spinning out in deep snow are reduced. But again, if we get ice overnight, 4WD is useless as well.

As for necessities (good question by the way) - it's really easy to throw your sleeping bag (or blanket), some granola bars and a few bottles of water in your car if you must venture out. This will keep you going should you need to stay out for a while. A shovel of any type, a flashlight and fully charged cell phone don't hurt either. Be dressed for the weather at the very least. If you typically run to the Quick Way in shorts and flip flops in January because you are only out of the car for 2 minutes while you run into the store, don't do that when the roads are bad - you would be ill equipped in case you had to push your car or someone else's out of a snowbank.

If you do get stuck in the snow, be prepared to push and/or shovel. If you see a car near the top of a hill and it is stopped, don't go up that hill, the car could always slide backwards. Keep your distance from other drivers and keep your speeds very slow. The brakes just don't work the same on snow as they work on pavement.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks to you both for the info/suggestions. I know I wouldn't take a chance to go out, much more seasoned drivers are smart enough to stay in, it's the least I could do for society.

My DH, wellll, he's another story. He would definitely try to go to work in this, but that would be out of stupidty, and male pride. If you say he can't do it, typical man, he'll try to prove you wrong. Thankfully, he's still down in SOFLA!!!!

I was just wondering typically what types of businesses you would see open today during this type of weather. Grocery stores? Gas stations? Coffee places? Restaurants?

Again, thanks for the replies, will make sure we're prepared in the event we find it a total necessity to ever venture out in a day like today

PS anyone have a cheap snow shovel for sale

Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM

199 posts, read 492,963 times
I'm sure there are plenty of people that are out driving that would thank you for staying home

I didn't go out, so I don't know if any normally open stores were closed or not. Hopefully those out and about today will be able to respond.

Stay safe out there when you do venture out, I suspect it will be slippery for quite a few days.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I walked around in the neighborhood that was enough to convince me

Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

The only signs of life I saw today were an Asplundh tree truck driving around.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
There were a few intrepid or idiotic souls slowly traveling Ashmore Bridge Rd today. I honestly don't know how/if any of them made it down one side and up the other of the fairly steep hills leading down to short the bridge over the Reedy River.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
ventured out around 5 am when the snow was still fresh and some tire marks were on the road i was on. visibility was not that terrible to be honest with ya but still had to go slow because even though you knew were the road was in some spots it did hide haha.

went out on the road around 4 pm on the interstate and it was fine IMO. some slick spots here and there but if drove at a rational speed and didnt go nuts you were fine. the slush when it re-freezes will be interesting to deal with.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times
23 accidents reported on Greenville News site before I flipped over here.
Nope, I stayed in the house most of the day. Truck is still covered with snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area