Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd819 View Post
Thanks so much for the quick responses. Every one I read gets me more excited about moving out of Pennsylvania. I will be retiring in June after teaching for thirty-six years and look forward to the time when I'll have less responsibilities and more time to hike, camp, fish, golf, hunt, and relax more. If anyone has any thing else to add about this part of the state, please feel free to share. I wish it was June! Thanks again...

Like you, my husband and I plan to retire from PA to a lake in SC.
I have been doing a lot of research on the lakes and towns.
I am curious which lake you chose and how you feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
I live here and I think Hartwell is the best all around lake experience for us working joe's.Keowee is beautiful,fishing not as good and over the top expensive.Jocasee is a day trip spot or for weekend camping with no place to leave a boat in the water overnight.I think living on Hartwell in Clemson might be just what you are looking for.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 PM

387 posts, read 330,725 times
But... The lake levels of Jocasee and Keowee are often kept more consistent at the expense of Hartwell. Just a couple of weeks ago I made the drive over Hartwell on 85 and entire arms of the lake were mud. Many floating docks were just sitting on the ground without any water nearby. The same situation happened a few years ago when we had an extended drought.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
But... The lake levels of Jocasee and Keowee are often kept more consistent at the expense of Hartwell. Just a couple of weeks ago I made the drive over Hartwell on 85 and entire arms of the lake were mud. Many floating docks were just sitting on the ground without any water nearby. The same situation happened a few years ago when we had an extended drought.
The level in Jocassee varies about as much as Hartwell. Hartwell had 15 feet of variation in 2016 while Jocassee has 16 feet of variation in level. Keowee does, in general, have less variation in level (4 feet in 2016). The biggest difference is variation over short periods of time. When Hartwell gets low, it tends to do so gradually. The level in Jocassee can change drastically over a period of just a couple of days as they use the water to maintain a constant level in Keowee.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 970 times
The research that I have done to this point definitely convinced us to search properties listed as having "deep water docks"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area