Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM

153 posts, read 715,692 times

Advertisements

Just remember that when there is any chance of ice or snow, its a law that you go to the store and buy up all the bread and milk you can. Nobody knows why, you just do it!

Seriously though, the ice storms in the Upstate suck, but they are the only serious natural disaster we have. You might bet one or two a year, so jst make sure you have some flashlights and a heater "just in case."

SCDOT used a sand/salt mix from what I hear (for bad storms). But usually they use a brine solution, which basicly lowers the freezing point of water on the roads, thus preventing black ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
I spent my first winter here last year having moved from Chicago were winters are REAL winters (Those from the north will know what I'm saying).

We only had one snowstorm last winter, and I had to drive back to Greer from downtown Greenville at night. It's bad enough that they don't salt the roads, but what's really scary is that there are so many hills and curves. I'm really getting out and enjoying our beautiful fall now, as I just know I'll be wanting to stay home a lot more come winter.

Another thing. . . .Even though it doesn't get nearly as cold here as in Chicago, I felt colder. I think it's more of a "damp cold" or something. Hoping I've adjusted now and this winter will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area