U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 AM

79 posts, read 259,426 times

Advertisements

Hello again!

First, I want to apologize if my question is redundant.

I will be commuting to Northern Greenville (Sevier Middle School) from downtown Easley. I already know about the traffic situation and such, as my husband and I made sure to do a "dry run commute" from my school to our new house prior to making a decision on the house. It was no where as horrendous as commuting in Spring Hill, Florida (Where we lived prior to moving to Kingsport, TN.)

At any rate, I am curious about the snow and ice during the winter. I lived in Pennsylvania (Pocono Mountains) during college and had a few bad experiences driving in snow and ice. Those experiences have left me extremely anxious about driving in inclement weather.

I was told by my boss that commuting will not be an issue for me because the winters are not bad at all, and if there is a hint of anything bad, the schools will close.

So, with that said, is that correct information, or will I have to stay glued to the weather channel during the winter months like I did when I lived up north?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 AM

624 posts, read 1,825,739 times
Your boss is right, winters here are nothing compared to even North Carolina. Here in Greenville we get maybe a couple inches of snow a year, maybe, though it usually ends up being ice. The worst we've had in quite some time was two years ago when ice covered everything and power was out for 5 or more days in some places (my house).

And as he said, if there's the slightest bit of snow or ice the schools will almost always close.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM

79 posts, read 259,426 times
Default thanks!

I appreciate your answer. I figured that would be the case. I just wanted to make sure.

Ice Storms shouldn't be taken lightly either, but as you said, if it's about to happen, schools are closed.

My main concern is having to drive in icy or snowy weather. Though power loss would be a supreme hassle, I would much rather be home without power than trying to navigate through town on the roadways!

When I was living in Manchester, England, I visited my parents over Christmas in the Poconos. Two days before my flight was scheduled to take me back to Manchester via Newark International Airport in NJ, a major snow storm happened. Since the bulk of the snow fell over night, in the wee hours, no one had shoveled out. When my stepmother and I awoke, we could not OPEN THE DOOR to get out of the house. The end result was that I had to crawl out the kitchen window and shovel my parents out.

The good thing was that my flight wasn't delayed. Needless to say, I was elated to return to the gloom and rain of Manchester.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 AM

624 posts, read 1,825,739 times
Ooooh, that sounds like fun!

Yeah, driving on actual snow is much easier than ice. The snow and ice we do get melts after a day, usually.

I had a fun experience with snow a few years ago, when I was around 15. I was going to Hawaii with family and we had to fly through Minnesota (why?). We got caught up in a snow storm there, two feet of snow, and our flight was delayed. The only clothes we had were shorts and short sleeved shirts!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:50 PM

37 posts, read 130,075 times
Wondering how they do treat the roads when covered with ice?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 AM

83 posts, read 340,614 times
Greenville is not equipped to handle snow and ice very well. It is really not economically feasible to keep a lot of equipment ready when the need only arises maybe once a year. So people tend to stay off the roads until the ice melts - which is usually very quickly. Schools close at the drop of a hat, and many businesses do as well.

The limited equipment that is owned by the city/county first addresses main roads, especially bridges and overpasses. Not much salt used - mostly sand.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:26 PM

69 posts, read 217,712 times
We used to get an inch or 2 every 2 or 3 years, but in the last few we've had almost nothing. I have a 3 yo and he's seen snow once, my 5 yo has seen 2 major ice storms, 1 snow and 1 frosty light snow flurrish deal.

I am 29 and we have had 2 major snows in my life, once in 3rd grade and once in 10th grade. Nothing but flurries and ice since.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,439,857 times
Greenville County uses sand trucks NOT SALT, thank goodness, better for your vehicles. Just ask anyone who has lived up north and has rust underneath.

And because SC doesn't get much snow/ice in any given year, they don't have the equipment to deal with it. It's not cost effective to buy it.

The last BIG snowfall was the Blizzard of 1993 when over 12 inches was dumped in the Upstate and closed the area for almost a week. There have been other ones but in my lifetime, only two that were BIG. (I lived in the Greenville area and have had family there for the last 50+ years). One when I was 14, and the one in 1993. Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 AM

5,561 posts, read 10,603,368 times
I moved to Greenville from Chicago 4 years ago. Down here when the closing list flashes on the TV businesses are included as well as schools. We found that to be amusing.

I hear they actually use a mix of sand and salt here but very little salt goes into it and thus most roads are impassable in icy conditions. Many times a school will post a 2-hour delay so that the ice can melt before the buses need to get out. When they don't think that will happen school is closed for the day. My children have had more "snow" days in 4 years in Greenville than in 8 years in Chicago.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 AM

331 posts, read 818,800 times
Everyone is right. Everyone goes crazy here with even the talk of snow. Don't worry about driving in it, when we actually get something, everything closes, including restaurants and the malls, and the news advises people to stay home. Kind of funny since I grew up in the North, but they have to do this because we are not equipped here for bad weather , it is not cost efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area