Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM

10 posts, read 9,377 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I just have a few questions I am moving to the Greenville-spartanburg area from Maine. So yes im a damn yankee by birth Cant help where I was born but I was just wondering a little bit about jons in the area. I have advanced management training and food safety certifications. I have also worked as an inbound call center rep. as well as receptionist. If anyone has any job ideas in the area for me that would be great. Also I am looking for houses (no apartments) for rent just a 2 bedroom with a yard would be great. I have 2 young children so a yard is a must. If anyone can just throw some ideas out there for me that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
You don't mention but if you are sole support of those children I don't advise you coming down here without a job or other means of support. Those types of jobs can be hard to come by here; they do exist and you might luck out and get something immediately but what if you don't? It's very easy to run a search for jobs in this area just go to the national sites and see what comes up. For the most part this is how those of us that live here look for jobs.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:46 PM

10 posts, read 9,377 times
thank you. Me and their father are their support and this will be a family move and we have support as in plenty of money to get us started.. Im thinking if I cant get a job in 4 months I may wanna look into somewhere else.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
It sounds like you have a fairly wide area of experience, so that might make the job search somewhat easier, but I echo what myrc60 said - I'd at least get some solid job leads before moving down here (or anywhere, for that matter).

I'm sure those with pertinent knowledge will chime in with info on housing, etc. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
I know the "get a job" first is the standard sensible answer but one that doesn't always apply to all. Personally, I made my move by faith, which I know is something many here may not understand. I brought money to last for 6-7 mo. and made a plan that allowed me to live frugally, and just when the funds began to run out a job opportunity to suit my needs has appeared and even extra $$ to tide me over. I need to add that I had several big limitations, i.e., not "young" anymore, had not worked in over 10 years & I sleep during the day, thus missing out on a lot of possible employment opportunities, but as Jesus said "all things are possible to those who believe"...

I don't know what are your reasons to want to move here and/or if you're considering any other places, but if you think this place makes a good fit and you've come to check it out as I did (and got a good feeling about it) it's really up to you to decide what chances you want to or can take. Meanwhile, I advise that you check
craigslist: greenville / upstate classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events for local jobs, etc.

P.S. Just be aware that jobs here pay a lot less than up north...

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM

140 posts, read 358,968 times
We moved from South Florida almost 2 years ago and are very happy with the move. From what I've seen customer service jobs pay similar wages to those in FL but the cost of living is MUCH lower. I don't know what customer service jobs pay in Maine but you're looking at about $10-12 an hour here. As for homes to rent, you can likely find a decent 3 bedroom home to rent for as little as $500-800 monthly. Rents are a bit less in Spartanburg County. I hope everything works out for you as well as they have for me.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubb88 View Post
Cant help where I was born but I was just wondering a little bit about jons in the area.
Thanks for the chuckle, I knew what you meant, but my mind went elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
We moved from South Florida almost 2 years ago and are very happy with the move. From what I've seen customer service jobs pay similar wages to those in FL but the cost of living is MUCH lower. I don't know what customer service jobs pay in Maine but you're looking at about $10-12 an hour here. As for homes to rent, you can likely find a decent 3 bedroom home to rent for as little as $500-800 monthly. Rents are a bit less in Spartanburg County. I hope everything works out for you as well as they have for me.
Moving from SOFLA as well - it's like night and day!!!!!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,321 times
With your background, you should check out Buffets, Inc. They are headquartered in Greer, SC. A very nice company to work for it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area