Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFGSP View Post
Awesome, more chain stores! I cant wait, hopefully, one day, we wont have to see one single locally owned anything within 20 miles of Main St!
Why would you say that anyway? Local merchants give an area like our downtown character! They're hardly bargain-basement affairs to begin with.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM

28 posts, read 49,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Why would you say that anyway? Local merchants give an area like our downtown character! They're hardly bargain-basement affairs to begin with.
Dude, really? I was being sarcastic. I hate that everytime something opens in Greenville, it is a Staples or a CVS or Carolina Ale House or Trader Joes or whatever other national chain, and everyone gets sooooooo excited. So excited why? Because Greenville now looks just like everywhere else?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Dude, really? I was being sarcastic. I hate that everytime something opens in Greenville, it is a Staples or a CVS or Carolina Ale House or Trader Joes or whatever other national chain, and everyone gets sooooooo excited. So excited why? Because Greenville now looks just like everywhere else?
That totally depends on the "chain" involved and where in the metro area it locates. CVS downtown will fill a documented need. I see nothing wrong with Carolina Ale house - it's an interesting addition downtown. Trader Joe's is a fantastic addition to this metro area; something like that would also do well in or on the periphery of downtown.

Now, I do see your point on things like Dollar General, etc being on nearly every corner.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
The Carolina Ale House in Greenville is the only one in the chain with a retractable roof. That's character and I'm glad it's here.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM

28 posts, read 49,605 times
Taken on a case by case basis, it is easy to gloss over the cumulative effect of chains. Then one day you wake up and Greenville looks just like Columbia which looks just like Charlotte, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Taken on a case by case basis, it is easy to gloss over the cumulative effect of chains. Then one day you wake up and Greenville looks just like Columbia which looks just like Charlotte, etc.
Again, it depends on the chain. I don't care if there is another one in another city; if it provides a good service or product, esp. in an asthetically pleasing way, I'm all for it.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Taken on a case by case basis, it is easy to gloss over the cumulative effect of chains. Then one day you wake up and Greenville looks just like Columbia
Doubtful. Columbia hasn't been able to land much quality retail like Greenville. No Apple, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc, etc, etc in Columbia.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM

182 posts, read 492,603 times
Quote:

In a perfect world there is a balance of local/national retailers. Unfortunately, the almighty dollar wins the game everytime. I moved to Charleston, SC 6+ years ago and King Street was alive and bustling with local, eclectic clothing stores, restaurants, and art galleries.

*Fast Forward* we now have Bruegger's Bagels instead of Papa Zuzu's, Rack Room instead of Nula, Apple Store instead of Cumberland's, and a myriad of cheap touristy candy stores and junk stores, GAP, Abercrombie, Forever 21, Subway, etc. What used to be a "Southern SoHo" is now an overpriced, tourist trap mall. All we're missing is a Gay Dolphin from Myrtle Beach and we're set!

I hope Greenville will protect the local retailers who located downtown when Main Street "wasn't the happening place to be"...while bringing in other retailers and restaurants who will add to the mix in a positive way. It's a precarious balancing act at best...but hopefully it can be done. I would hate to see downtown Greenville become "just any old place in the US".

Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Back on topic. I'll give you one guess what this $18 million will be used for:

Buchanan said GNMO will close “in a couple of months” on $18 million in tax credits for a major project in Greenville, using the last of GNMO’s allocation.

Link: Where (tax) credit is due | The Journal Watchdog by Community Journals, a media company based in Greenville, S.C

Last edited by g-man430; 03-25-2011 at 02:04 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 02:25 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Back on topic. I'll give you one guess what this $18 million will be used for:

Buchanan said GNMO will close “in a couple of months” on $18 million in tax credits for a major project in Greenville, using the last of GNMO’s allocation.

Link: Where (tax) credit is due | The Journal Watchdog by Community Journals, a media company based in Greenville, S.C
Based on this information, we are looking at a new project potentially worth anywhere from $78 million to $90 million.

Quote:
Under the program, a borrower typically saves $2 million to $2.3 million for every $10 million in project costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area