U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 AM

772 posts, read 1,532,018 times

Advertisements

Not sure on your Dianne Derby rumor. She wasn't on the news last night, but I did see a new commercial for her with her "consumer reporter" role. Hopefully she's not gone, Amy Wood is overexposed as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM

5,409 posts, read 9,451,854 times
That came from a reliable source within the newsroom, but this source was not present when Dianne apparently "walked out." It is a very tough environment to live in and many people reach their breaking point earlier than expected. Many leave for "greener" pastures (better money), while others leave after exceeding their stress limit.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,075,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
WSPA has definitely been hit hard lately. Their parent company is really struggling financially because they own several hemorrhaging newspapers, but it goes beyond that. The station recently lost its Marketing Director, HR manager, General Manager, and a few familiar faces on air, including part time anchors Rich Klintworth and Dianne Derby (if my source is correct). Veteran reporter Jonathan Carlson also left very recently. I know of other significant losses within the company.
WSPA alumni:

Jonathan Carlson transferred to another Media General owned station, WNCN 17 (NBC), in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Carmen Coursey, wife of Chris Cato, left earlier in the year. She is still in the area, of course. The Cato family is likely growing.

Rich Klindworth transferred to another Media General owned station, WNCT 9 (CBS), in Greenville, North Carolina.

Connie LeGrand is the Director of Media Relations for Mary Black Health System.

Kristen Mosteller's status is unknown.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 08-31-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 AM

Kristen left about two months ago and now lives in San Diego. Carmen is too genuinely sweet to be a news reporter, so her departure was no surprise. It will be interesting to see how long Chris stays there. Like I said, WSPA is pretty battered right now.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Not sure on your Dianne Derby rumor. She wasn't on the news last night, but I did see a new commercial for her with her "consumer reporter" role. Hopefully she's not gone, Amy Wood is overexposed as it is.
Apparently she walked out over a controversy regarding one of her "problem solver" stories. I don't know if she will be back though.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 PM

Does anyone know if any of the four news stations will expand their newscast hours?

One or two stations have looked at adding a 4:00 PM newscast. I heard WYFF looked at the possibility, but decided to pick up Dr. Oz for the upcoming season to replace Oprah Winfrey.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 09-01-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM

I would be surprised if WSPA expanded their evening lineup. Judge Judy is solid at 4pm and they already produce 5, 5:30, 6, and 7pm newscasts. One of Media General's CBS stations (WJHL) recently expanded their morning coverage to 4:30am, but I haven't heard if WSPA is considering the same yet.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
...The Cato family is likely growing.
For anyone interested, Chris and Carmen are expecting a baby boy in January.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
The station recently lost...Dianne Derby (if my source is correct).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Not sure on your Dianne Derby rumor. She wasn't on the news last night, but I did see a new commercial for her with her "consumer reporter" role. Hopefully she's not gone...
Quote:
That came from a reliable source within the newsroom, but this source was not present when Dianne apparently "walked out."
Quote:
Apparently she walked out over a controversy regarding one of her "problem solver" stories. I don't know if she will be back though.
Dianne Derby is no longer listed on WSPA's news team page. She has likely left the station. Amy Wood is handling Derby's co-anchor duties for the 5:30pm newscast. Chris Cato anchors the 7:00pm newscast alone.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM

WLOS 13 has ceased its 9:00 hour-long morning newscast on WMYA 40 while adding half an hour to its 22:00 newscast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area