Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:11 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times

Advertisements

Pawleys Dude is absolutely correct. The Beacon is a Spartanburg institution that people grew up with. We used to joke in school about how greasy it is but that is part of the experience. There have been some changes over the years - some good and some not so good - but it still remains the same go-to place for school outings, community groups, and political rallies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM

301 posts, read 804,354 times
The people who have only been once or twice must be transplants.

Everyone in Spartanburg who's from here has eaten there multiple times.

Honestly, I can't think of the last time that I went there... I'm not a huge fan, but I do like to go there every once in a while.

...I just don't eat their ice cream anymore. My friend found a bug in her ice cream. It wasn't the Beacon's fault, because the bug was in the middle of the ice cream so it had to have gotten there during packaging from whatever ice cream company they buy from... but still... it was a disgusting sight. Ew.

I was wondering when the Beacon would end up on one of those shows. I always said they should put it on there. XD

Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri was in the area a few years ago to feature The Beacon as well as Harold's Restaurant in downtown Gaffney. "Triple D" was in Columbia more recently fimling at Pawley's Front Porch in Five Points.

That show is awesome. I bet a lot of City-Data peeps who love discussing this kind-of stuff also watch it.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri was in the area a few years ago to feature The Beacon as well as Harold's Restaurant in downtown Gaffney. "Triple D" was in Columbia more recently fimling at Pawley's Front Porch in Five Points.

That show is awesome. I bet a lot of City-Data peeps who love discussing this kind-of stuff also watch it.
We do - it's already been discussed on page 1 of this thread as a matter of fact

Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
We do - it's already been discussed on page 1 of this thread as a matter of fact
I know - I read it. I was glad someone posted the Youtube of it so I could watch it again!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
You're right, in the vast wasteland named TVWorld, Triple D is a refreshing change. Overall, I enjoy Food Network, but I am seriously OD'ed on all the reality style elimination contests they have begun running ad nauseum. I miss all the BBQ shows they did a few years ago.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You're right, in the vast wasteland named TVWorld, Triple D is a refreshing change. Overall, I enjoy Food Network, but I am seriously OD'ed on all the reality style elimination contests they have begun running ad nauseum. I miss all the BBQ shows they did a few years ago.
I hear you. I usually wind up watching some of the reality shows on Food TV though like Worst Cooks and this new Chopped All Stars. The only one I watch religiously when it's on is The Next Food Network Star though.

What were the BBQ shows - you mean when they go and do a special covering a BBQ Cookoff? Those are pretty cool too. I like the ones that I think are on the Travel Channel where they compare BBQ styles of different cities.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM

177 posts, read 470,681 times
Bobby Flay used to have grilling and chillin. Then there was an old cajun guy who drank red wine while he was cooking. There were a few others but my mind is drawing a blank right now. As for the Beacon, it used to be any trip involving going to or thru Spart. required a visit to the Beacon. I want to get the triple D book and take a road trip hitting those spots!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM

179 posts, read 462,523 times
My favorite is Man Vs. Food on the Travel Channel.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
In addition to shows about BBQ, I really enjoy The Wild Within on Travel Channel.

In reply to the topic, I visited The Beacon in the '90s after several years of hearing "that place is amazing" and "everyone should eat there." My first and second impressions (yes, I gave it a second chance out of courtesy for a business colleague, not by preference) were virtually identical to a few earlier replies in this thread. The Beacon "experience" was nothing better than disgusting, in my opinion. The only elements I found amazing were the amount of uncleanness and grease, but primarily the fact that so many local residents would proudly and frequently patronize such a restaurant. If the food taseted great, then I would be more forgiving, but it didn't even match the flavor at most of the greasy food places I've tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area