Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Not joking at all. Why wouldn't you want to shop local? Shopping at those other places, including Bi-lo, sends your dollars out of state. The newer stores are far from low end, buy SC produce and have good meat & seafood.

Also, The Pig in Birmingham is part of another group & is not affiliated with Piggly Wiggly Carolina, Inc.
Um, I haven't been to the Piggly Wiggly in Blacksburg, but I've heard about it. What I heard was not good. I tend to believe what I heard. My guess is that most of Blacksburg shops at the Kings Mountain Ingles. Some day I'll go down & look for the Pig. However, that won't happen till I get a problem with my car fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Not joking at all. Why wouldn't you want to shop local? Shopping at those other places, including Bi-lo, sends your dollars out of state. The newer stores are far from low end, buy SC produce and have good meat & seafood.

Also, The Pig in Birmingham is part of another group & is not affiliated with Piggly Wiggly Carolina, Inc.
Bi-Lo is headquartered in Mauldin, SC which is in Greenville County.

Last edited by g-man430; 03-17-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Bi-Lo is owned by Lone Star funds, an investment firm based in Dallas, TX & has been for a few years now.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
I enjoy shopping at the Food Lion in Lyman. I don't understand how changing the sign in front of the building automatically makes the interior dirty, as some people seem to be implying.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
According to thepig.net, the Blacksburg store is still open.

What a shame Piggly Wiggly can't fully penetrate the Upstate. An iconic SC grocer indeed!
Piggly Wiggly did not invest more into its two Spartanburg stores and the rest of the upstate. It closed both stores in the mid-1990s.

It attempted a comeback after locating in previous Community Cash stores in Cowpens, Pacolet, and Whitmire. Those locations closed late last year.

Speaking of Community Cash, that was an iconic Spartanburg chain that faded quickly from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
You know you can also support local farms and local organic farms when you shop at Whole Foods. While Whole Foods is a chain, they buy a great deal of produce, dairy, etc from local farms.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You know you can also support local farms and local organic farms when you shop at Whole Foods. While Whole Foods is a chain, they buy a great deal of produce, dairy, etc from local farms.
But the money you spend flows back to Austin, TX.....

Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Meh...i'd still rather shop at Whole Foods Market over Piggly Wiggly anyday of the week. Let me know when Piggly Wiggly starts buying local fruits and vegetables to sell in their stores also.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
That's not true. Where do you think the office employee's spend the money they make? I know for a fact that many of them live right here in Greenville county.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM

470 posts, read 595,364 times
I don't quite understand the whole shop locally thing. If I shop at Publix in Five Forks isn't that local. Don't all the people who work at that store live here? Or do they get shipped in from the Florida offices daily then take their paychecks back to Florida and spend them there? By shopping in any store you are supporting the local economy. Lowes, Publix, BiLo, Home Depot, Walmart, ect. all employ a huge number of people in this area. Should we not be supporting them by shopping at their stores. Or maybe they don't count, maybe it's just the corporate bigwigs that count??? I'm so confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area