Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
IMO,

Asheville, for the most part is very one dimensional. Before we go on, let me say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Asheville! Beautiful city with a hip vibe and fun place to hangout for the weekend or an evening.

As for my one dimensional comment, Asheville is very much a city geared toward, younger, alternative lifestyles (gay, straight, etc), artsy grunge, Subaru/Saab driving, Obama voting, organic eating, tree hugging, limited corporate business, etc, etc.

Nothing wrong with any of those things at all (as a Saab driving, gay man, organic eating, tree hugger myself), just that Asheville is very narrowly focused and follows that line pretty closely....people not following that line have less room to fit in.

Greenville on the other hand, seems more broadly focused. Gay, straight, arsty, conservative, pro business, anti business, younger, older, Obama or Palin, organic gardening or stuffing your face at a cheap unhealthy chain. Greenville is simply easier to love for a much broader group of people and doesn't follow the narrow line that Asheville tends to follow.

I'm on the liberal end in Greenville, except as regards are current POTUS who I see as a joke, and I lean toward the Asheville mode. But as an individual free thinker, I don't want to be daily immersed in such a narrowly focused liberal environment like Asheville.....as a gay man, I don't want to only have gay friends or live in an almost exclusively gay area of town either.
See, I see this the exact opposite. I never had problems in Asheville as a conservative but Greenville, it has been very clear that if you AREN'T conservative you'd better not say anything.

No, I think all the problems that you are seeing on the asheville board is due to the resentment that natives, like myself, have because we can't find good paying jobs and in a lot of cases cant afford to leave either and or don't want to leave but are forced to due to the job situation (my case). While daily, people come onto city data and think they can waltz right into Asheville and find a job no problem. So many of us just like to give them a crash course in the reality that there aren't a lot of jobs and cost of living is much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM

178 posts, read 583,365 times
Quote:
IMO,

Asheville, for the most part is very one dimensional. Before we go on, let me say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Asheville! Beautiful city with a hip vibe and fun place to hangout for the weekend or an evening.

As for my one dimensional comment, Asheville is very much a city geared toward, younger, alternative lifestyles (gay, straight, etc), artsy grunge, Subaru/Saab driving, Obama voting, organic eating, tree hugging, limited corporate business, etc, etc.

Nothing wrong with any of those things at all (as a Saab driving, gay man, organic eating, tree hugger myself), just that Asheville is very narrowly focused and follows that line pretty closely....people not following that line have less room to fit in.

Greenville on the other hand, seems more broadly focused. Gay, straight, arsty, conservative, pro business, anti business, younger, older, Obama or Palin, organic gardening or stuffing your face at a cheap unhealthy chain. Greenville is simply easier to love for a much broader group of people and doesn't follow the narrow line that Asheville tends to follow.

I'm on the liberal end in Greenville, except as regards are current POTUS who I see as a joke, and I lean toward the Asheville mode. But as an individual free thinker, I don't want to be daily immersed in such a narrowly focused liberal environment like Asheville.....as a gay man, I don't want to only have gay friends or live in an almost exclusively gay area of town either.

Thanks very helpful! It puts more of a perspective when I jump from this forum to the NC one. Politics are not a concern for me as to where I am, unless it's pushed in my face, and that has never happened anywhere I have lived.

But however organic I am I still make trash and DH works for a large company, so I am sort of in between, and it seems as though Greenville is more in between, or the outskirts of Asheville.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
See, I see this the exact opposite. I never had problems in Asheville as a conservative but Greenville, it has been very clear that if you AREN'T conservative you'd better not say anything.

No, I think all the problems that you are seeing on the asheville board is due to the resentment that natives, like myself, have because we can't find good paying jobs and in a lot of cases cant afford to leave either and or don't want to leave but are forced to due to the job situation (my case). While daily, people come onto city data and think they can waltz right into Asheville and find a job no problem.

Yep, driven out of my hometown for that very reason It's sad no matter where you go. I have the ocean back home and everyone wants a piece of it, then there in nothing left for the locals!!!

Since I am also from a tourist town, most people come vaca and then just decide to try and move there, clear huge plots of land and build a big house, with no regards to neighbors or anything. Blocking others views, etc. Any touristy town hates the tourists. They are all over though, and honestly, I have come to accept that however annoying, they are needed for all seasonal jobs and provide income for those who depend on them. So it works both ways, I guess.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
IMO,

Very well stated! Love this!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post

No, I think all the problems that you are seeing on the asheville board is due to the resentment that natives, like myself, have because we can't find good paying jobs and in a lot of cases cant afford to leave either and or don't want to leave but are forced to due to the job situation (my case). While daily, people come onto city data and think they can waltz right into Asheville and find a job no problem. So many of us just like to give them a crash course in the reality that there aren't a lot of jobs and cost of living is much higher.
I'm just confused where you are hearing all of this. It certainly isn't online on this forum since the majority of people in here are Liberals or at the very least, not conservative.

I work for a very large company in the area and can say most of my coworkers (the ones I talk to that is) are either liberals, or at least non-affiliated (I consider myself non affiliated). Aside from random groups of old people (and lets be honest, old people anywhere in the country tend to be conservative) I don't see hardly any "strict conservativism" in Greenville. In fact I knew far more conservatives in central florida than I've ever encountered here.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Is Greenville a smoke free city? And if so, how far does that extend into the burbs? I personally don't smoke, but I can only imagine how much cleaner the streets would be with out butts everywhere like most places!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
The city of Greenville (thankfully) has a smoking ban. Unfortunately, the state of SC does not (see this list of State Smoking Bans in the US). 33 local governments in SC have enacted smoking bans. Sadly, the only Upstate areas that have smoking bans include: Greenville, Clemson, Easley, Pickens, and Rock Hill. So, if you eat in Spartanburg, Greer, or Simpsonville, be prepared to be enveloped in lots of smoke. However, some mindful restaurant owners (in these locations) have banned smoking themselves.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Is Greenville a smoke free city? And if so, how far does that extend into the burbs? I personally don't smoke, but I can only imagine how much cleaner the streets would be with out butts everywhere like most places!
I'm not sure you can find cleaner streets than Greenville anywhere. Downtown Greenville sometimes gets jabs for being too clean.

Greenville city is smoke free inside buidings. On downtown sidewalks, smoking is permited only at certain distances from buildings, and there are specific cigarette ashtray/ashcans along the sidewalks. Rarely, if ever, do I see butts littering the streets.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
I've been visiting Greenville for the last 19 years, and we are finally moving there this summer. My biggest concern in choosing a house includes the school: I want to make sure that my kids attend a high school that has quality education, and also has a diverse population base- would you recommend Mauldin, Hillcrest, Wade Hampton, Greenville HS?

My second concern is the lack of sidewalks, as someone mentioned. My boys are 13 and 15, and they love to ride their bikes to go to the park, Subway, Wal-mart, etc. When I've been looking at homes, I'll leave the subdivision and start looking for bike paths and/or sidewalks. I've been on some roads where there's not even a shoulder- just ditches! Are there bike paths or trails available?

And Art 123... keep visiting the watercooler! I'm more conservative than you are, but we should all respect the facts.

That's our biggest gripe. Not only does it not encourage exercise, it's actually quite dangerous, I can't tell you how many times we've seen people walking on the side of the road, literally inches away from a speeding car. No sidewalks or shoulders; that being said there was an article in this weeks local Greer paper that more sidewalks will be built around Riverside High on Suber and Brushy Creek Rds; so kids can actually ride their bikes to school. On a side note, Riverside is probably the best high school in the county and that area of Greer is one of the best places to live.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 PM

57 posts, read 109,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
Too cold in the winter which is why after 10 years here, we are moving to Florida this summer.
Ugh. Moved here to get away from Florida. If you want heavy traffic, lots of crime, and just plain boring to look at move to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area