Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yuck: Charlotte relocation means 170 new jobs : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/03/30/article/charlotte_relocation_means_170_new_jobs - broken link)

Once again, Charlotte wins and we lose. Just once i'd like to steal something from that city or have Atlanta do it just to be fair.
As much as I like getting more jobs for Charlotte, I hate to pull them from the upstate. ESA had a great building on Morgan Square....where will they be in Charlotte? And...ATL has pulled a couple of companies from Charlotte, that should make you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM

257 posts, read 327,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yuck: Charlotte relocation means 170 new jobs : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/03/30/article/charlotte_relocation_means_170_new_jobs - broken link)

Once again, Charlotte wins and we lose. Just once i'd like to steal something from that city or have Atlanta do it just to be fair.
Proterra picks Greenville, S.C. | Charlotte Business Journal

Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
As the article suggests, Charlotte and NC did not have a lot of faith in this project/company, I am not sure if incentives were ever offered. Only time will tell if the skepticism was right.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
I think a lot of folks in the Spartanburg business community saw the writing on the wall with Extended Stay long ago - that they would either go out of business, leave Spartanburg, or both. George Dean Johnson sold ESA in 2004 so that Spartanburg connection has been long gone as he has moved on to other interests. ESA filed for Chapter 11 in 2009 and went through yet another ownership change in 2010. A lot of people that worked at one point at the ESA corporate office over the last seven years have lost their jobs as they have significantly donwsized the size of their corporate staff. Not sure what the move to Charlotte will bring to them, but I'll be more interested in seeing what new tenant moves into their beautiful building in downtown Spartanburg.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
As the article suggests, Charlotte and NC did not have a lot of faith in this project/company, I am not sure if incentives were ever offered. Only time will tell if the skepticism was right.
So since Proterra chose Greenville, and not Charlotte, the reasoning is "Well, Charlotte didn't want them anyway." LOL!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
News story: http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...-for-Charlotte

But "Southwest Airlines is a game changer" according to our local Chamber of Commerce. Hopefully this company files for bankruptcy again.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Do I recall Extended Stay privately being owned by an investment firm now?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 AM

257 posts, read 327,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
So since Proterra chose Greenville, and not Charlotte, the reasoning is "Well, Charlotte didn't want them anyway." LOL!
Well the article does say as much:
Proterra’s Dale Hill toured Charlotte last year, saying the plant would bring 1,300 jobs to the city and would represent a $68 million investment.

Here Hill met some skepticism about the project.
I also read where NC wasn't picked because the Charlotte area didn't offer a large enough building for the company's needs, so who knows. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with economic development projects like this that the general public is unaware of.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
Well the article does say as much:
Proterra’s Dale Hill toured Charlotte last year, saying the plant would bring 1,300 jobs to the city and would represent a $68 million investment.

Here Hill met some skepticism about the project.
I also read where NC wasn't picked because the Charlotte area didn't offer a large enough building for the company's needs, so who knows. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with economic development projects like this that the general public is unaware of.
I am not sure why Greenville is laughing, as of today, NC was correct not to offer this company incentives. This company, while interesting, is still a highly speculative company.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Seems in this case, it is true, read the article, not sure why you see humor in that. Besides, Charlotte and Greenville do not often compete for the same projects. Don't take it personally, but, the cities tend to go after different types of development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area