U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,684,523 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,
While trying to save money, we are thinking about forgoing the cable and just using a converter box. Can anyone tell me what channels you are able to get in the greenville area? Is it at least the basics like ABC, NBC, and CBS?
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM

772 posts, read 1,516,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Hey Everyone,
While trying to save money, we are thinking about forgoing the cable and just using a converter box. Can anyone tell me what channels you are able to get in the greenville area? Is it at least the basics like ABC, NBC, and CBS?
Thanks for any help!
I have DirecTV, but I do mess around with an antenna setup from time to time. You may have some trouble picking up ABC, since it's from up in Asheville. I've been able to pick up 4, 7, and 21 pretty reliably, along with PBS. Even CBS from Charlotte on occasion. A lot of it depends on exactly where you live in the upstate.

A good place to check is AntennaWeb

It lets you input an address and will give you a decent fix on what you should be able to pick up where you live.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 PM

2,166 posts, read 2,524,088 times
I don't do cable but I do have an HDTV so I don't need the converter box, but I use an antenna. I get all the major channels along with PBS, the CW and many others I've not come to know since we just moved here recently. The other day I was watching the news in the morning and wondered why the local channel was talking about Charlotte - then realized my rabbit ears were picking up a Charlotte station. Once we get situated we'll get out large antenna and get it up in the attic or on a pole outside. For me, there's more than enough to watch on the regular boob tube, which I spend enough time watching.

One of the other BIG reasons I don't do cable - if my DH had even one more channel to flip through on that darn remote, it would end up where the sun don't shine!!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Haha eldemila. Don't be too harsh on him.
And thanks to you both for the input. Sounds like you get a reasonable number of channels. I lived in WNC and we hardly got anything due to being in a cove so it wasn't an option.

I think well at least try it out first and then if we have to go back to cable.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 PM

2,166 posts, read 2,524,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Haha eldemila. Don't be too harsh on him.
And thanks to you both for the input. Sounds like you get a reasonable number of channels. I lived in WNC and we hardly got anything due to being in a cove so it wasn't an option.

I think well at least try it out first and then if we have to go back to cable.
Why not just try it while you still have cable? Just get some rabbit ears and see how your tv fairs. Definitely check Antennaweb as suggested, this way you can see by your address which direction is best to try and place your antenna to get the most channels. It also tells you based on your location and it's surrounding what type of outside antenna would be best.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM

774 posts, read 809,186 times
Default converter box

We use one at the lake & get all of the local channels, 4, 7, 13, 21 & a few others. There is a booster you can get at Best Buy that is inexpensive that you add on to the coax wire.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM

5,536 posts, read 10,413,095 times
I used rabbit ears on our little spare tv with that digital converter box and was able to get clear reception on 13 here in Mauldin. Without the converter box it doesn't come in at all.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:45 PM

Thanks again for chiming in everyone. I've been treated poorly by both charter and directv and I am just done having to be charged a crap ton or sign their unfair contracts. So I'm trying to find an alternative.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 PM

5,536 posts, read 10,413,095 times
There is nothing on anyway!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,475,687 times
you only need a converter box if you have an older tv, most newer sets have the digital converter built in, you will need an antenna, I live on the clemson side of easley, important to mention because i'm sure it is different depending on where you live in town. I pick up 2 Fox channels(one is weather), 2 CBS, 2 NBC channels, the CW, 3 PBS channels, two religious type channels, two music video channels(one is country and the other seems like it can be anything) I do not pick up ABC at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area