Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 PM

161 posts, read 416,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The MSA consists of Greenville, Pickens, and Laurens Counties. Nothing about the MSA population that motoenterprises stated is wrong seeing how it's the amount done by US Census. Greenville County also has a population of over 428,000 now according to the US Census.
That's interesting because I got my stats from the Census as well. Plus, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (which is where all those unemployment stats a lot of people quote come from) defines Greenville "metro" as Greenville, Easley, and Mauldin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
That's interesting because I got my stats from the Census as well. Plus, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (which is where all those unemployment stats a lot of people quote come from) defines Greenville "metro" as Greenville, Easley, and Mauldin.
You do understand "Greenville-Easley-Mauldin" is simply the name of the metro......the name does not limit the metro to these three cities.....it is just for the purpose of naming.

Please see the current 2008 list of metros in the link below. Greenville is #82 in the nation, with a population of 613,828.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Are you sure you got your stats from the US Census because here it says 428,243 population for Greenville County: Greenville County, South Carolina - Population Finder - American FactFinder Click on this link and look at #152 down the list for the MSA population: http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2007/CBSA-EST2007-01.csv (broken link) It used to be Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA but now it's Greenville-Pickens-Laurens MSA. Spartanburg and Anderson have their own MSA.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 AM

161 posts, read 416,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Are you sure you got your stats from the US Census because here it says 428,243 population for Greenville County: Greenville County, South Carolina - Population Finder - American FactFinder Click on this link and look at #152 down the list for the MSA population: http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2007/CBSA-EST2007-01.csv (broken link) It used to be Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA but now it's Greenville-Pickens-Laurens MSA. Spartanburg and Anderson have their own MSA.
The number given on that site is a population estimate though. The Census Bureau site I got my information from was an estimate as well.

It's apples to oranges though if one agency defines it one way and another agency defines it another. It doesn't sound like there is a real definitive answer out there.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The number given on that site is a population estimate though. The Census Bureau site I got my information from was an estimate as well.

It's apples to oranges though if one agency defines it one way and another agency defines it another. It doesn't sound like there is a real definitive answer out there.
There are definite answers:
Greenville County population: 428,000
Greenville Metropolitan Area: 613,000
Greenville Spartanburg Anderson CSA: 1,268,000

Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,247 times
Default Greenville over Spartanburg for us

Being a Greenvillian all my life, I am of course partial to Greenville. Years ago, I remember the stout competition of the 2 cities to attract restaurants and industries (not that the competition is gone now :-). Spartanburg, it seems, made a choice to slow down their growth and when I am there now it feels like Greenville did when I was young, which is good because those memories are great! No doubt Spartanburg is growing and has many wonderful friendly people. Both cities have their "internal" core group of people that have lived there all their lives and are "passionate" about their home city. Living in downtown Greenville there is no comparison to downtown Spartanburg, however ... it has a feel that is unlike any other city in the surrounding areas. We love Greenville and even more importantly, our grown children love it. Much to our surprise, they all chose to move back here after college. I think that says a lot![/i][/i]

Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnw25 View Post
A few facts,
Spartanburg is considered to be the most Cosmo. Small to midsize metro area in the U.S. Sptbg has more out of country investment than anywhere in the U.S. We have by far the best public schools in the region. We have 6 of the best collages and Uni. in the country. We have the best med. care within 300 miles. Rated #1 for Heart, Cancer, (Orthopedics, The Steadmen Hawkins Clinic is the best in the world.)
We are ranked the 46 best city in North America by Cities and places rated. Greenville in 94. A few years ago we had a problem witha drug gang from Boston and the Murder rate went crazy for a few years.athat is now back to normal. This year we have had about 7 or 8 murders for a metro area of 300,000 people. Greenville is headed toword 20 with only about 25% more people. I can live anywhere I want and would choose Spartanburg everyday and everyway. Futhermore this is not about putting Greenville down. I could not care less what happens in Greenville. Greenville has done a good job changing thier image from what it used to be. So enjoy yourself. Just know that most of the people here are not interested in Greenville.
Having lived in Greenville all my life, I'm not sure about all your statistics, but agree that Spartanburg has many great qualities and most importantly many wonderful, friendly people. You were doing it well until you said, "I could not care less what happens in Greenville" and "most of the people here are not interested in Greenville". For clarity and fairness to those reading your post, were you talking about most of the people you know in Spartanburg or most of the people on this post? I am new to this post, but have not seen any negatives on Greenville yet. Also, I am wondering if you have actually been to Greenville, especially the downtown area? I appreciate your love for your hometown as I feel the same for mine, but I can also appreciate and care for yours. For those that have read my very first post, this is the "competition" that I briefly mentioned. Obviously, still alive ... and I say that with good humor.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:08 PM

513 posts, read 576,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You do understand "Greenville-Easley-Mauldin" is simply the name of the metro......the name does not limit the metro to these three cities.....it is just for the purpose of naming.

Please see the current 2008 list of metros in the link below. Greenville is #82 in the nation, with a population of 613,828.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was actaully pretty surprised by a couple of things on this list. I did not know that Gville MSA started the decade with more than Chas' MSA. ANd in looking at the numbers, I am very suprised by how much the MSA growths of both Cola and Chas has outpaced that of the Gville MSA. I would not have guessed anywhere near those numbers.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
I was actaully pretty surprised by a couple of things on this list. I did not know that Gville MSA started the decade with more than Chas' MSA. ANd in looking at the numbers, I am very suprised by how much the MSA growths of both Cola and Chas has outpaced that of the Gville MSA. I would not have guessed anywhere near those numbers.

Not sure about Charleston, but Columbia did not outpace in "growth". Columbia had a county or counties added that inflated the number.....it wasn't because of growth.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 PM

73 posts, read 236,308 times
Default wow

I visited downtown spartanburg this weekend and all I have to say is WOW! It is really nice! I like it better than downtown greenville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area