U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM

210 posts, read 259,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrarvoz View Post
I can address a few of these issues.

Mau's current pay rates are $15/hr for A-shift and $16/hr for B-shift.

If the line is stopped to the point that they send you home, you DO NOT get paid for the time.

Yes, the X4 is coming, and there are plenty of rumors of another model (possibly a 3 or 5 series) coming in a few years.

Edit: I forgot the main reason for posting. I never had a problem while I worked for MAU, I always clocked in and out on time and did my job and in 1 1/2 years, I would never say they were unorganized.

He's right on all points. You do get exactly what is advertised as far as pay (and don't forget 10% shift differential on B shift).

You don't get paid if they send you home. That RARELY happens. BMW peeps don't get paid if they get sent home either...it's not a MAU stigma. What world do you live in that you'd expect to get paid when you aren't working??? I think it's only happened to my DH twice in the 2 years he's worked there..and both times it was only a few hours at the end of his shift...and both weeks, he was able to work another shift later in the week, and ended up with OT on his check in the end.

As far as insurance....yes, MAU insurance is about $125 a week for a family plan.....so, yes, pricey...on other hand, some would be thankful that you are getting the option for health insurance, especially if you have a family...not many temp gigs offer that option...and it was pretty decent insurance too...not alot of out of pocket fees...for those that don't qualify for government insurance...having some insurance is better than nothing especially if you have children in the house. You also accrue vacation hours and paid sick time as MAU...not alot of temp gigs offer that.

My DH did exactly what the other person said...came to work when he was supposed to. Clock in on time, clock out on time. Did his job right. Never had an issue with MAU. Got permanent BMW status after 9 months of working as a MAU person. There are MAU people who have been there longer and still MAU. One guy comes to mind for me..has horrible attendance issues, always late, etc. Still MAU after 2 years. There's a reason for that.

Every job has it's pros and cons...but let's be realistic....be happy you have a job, not everyone does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 20,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrarvoz View Post
Good to hear. Anyone starting in the body shop? If so I'll be seeing you soon.
I start in the body shop on monday. My question is im not going to the tdc like others on tuesday. They said all of our training is in our department. Does that elminate me from being hired on to BMW status since im not going to the same training? Thanks

Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM

9 posts, read 32,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgetsinger View Post
I start in the body shop on monday. My question is im not going to the tdc like others on tuesday. They said all of our training is in our department. Does that elminate me from being hired on to BMW status since im not going to the same training? Thanks
More than likely it just means they need you on line ASAP. From what I remember, most of the stuff at the TDC is geared toward those who will be working in Assembly.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Ok, i was just nervous cause i ws not getting the same training. Thanks

Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,061,416 times
Quote:
The body shop is a pretty cool place. Watching the robots build the cars is amazing.

As for getting hired on as a BMW associate that could take a while. A lot of things are considered before moving someone into the spots they have available. There does not seem to be a "formula" or anything to really go by. Each department has a restricted number of available spots (or "job cards" as HR calls them) available. HR releases those cards when they are ready.

When you start tomorrow, just give your job 110% every day. Get noticed for your hard work and hopefully you will eventually get that coveted job card. Good luck and welcome aboard!!

Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM

I plan to give it my al, as i gave up a 17 year career to start another one for my family. I talked to someone yesterday that said they just hired like 50 something from assembly and like 40 from the body shop. He said i was coming in at a good time with the new building being built. I hope this is a good move and not a waste of time and have to change over to the assembly line to possibly become a BMW worker. Thanks

Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 PM

33 posts, read 68,991 times
Congrats to all the recent hires! Would anyone mind to tell me when they applied? I was hoping I was inline for this latest block that just got hired. Guess not (:

Either way hope all is good for you guys/gals at the plant.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 AM

24 posts, read 122,705 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't eliminate you from being hired permanently. The body shop's training is on the job, whereas assembly's is at the tdc.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:37 PM

3,867 posts, read 3,061,416 times
Currently BMW is 60% contractor, 40% BMW associates.

BMW is a great job. Forbes named BMW the #1 most admirable company in the world. BMW Spartanburg (Team 10) is growing and this year will hit a sales record. Spartanburg is the largest auto plant in the US and the largest car exporter in the US.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM

648 posts, read 791,590 times
Rumor: I'm hearing BMW may be adding a plant near Charleston:

Carolina Sports Thoughts: Rumor: BMW looking at the Charleston area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area