Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 35,377 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Been living in or near Boulder, CO for the last 25 years But I grew up in the Appalachian coal belt of KY. I am exploring job opportunities in Greenville area. Not to concerned about fitting in as both my wife and I are from near by. But I am a cyclist, mountain and road, as well as a kayaker. I am on my bike or in my boat whenever I get any free time. Boulder has one of the most extensive bike path systems in the nation and the city and county has over 50,000 acres of parks and open space that I make use of. Bicyclist are everywhere in Boulder. I saw a note in another thread about cyclist coming to Greenville. What is it like getting around in Greenville on a bike? Are motorist adversarial? What is the closest whitewater? I don't think I could live in a town that puts vehicles above pedestrians and bikes. Should I stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 PM

83 posts, read 483,326 times
Greenville is where George Hincapie of the Discovery Channel team has chosen to live. He is also developing a property named for his 2005 Tour de France stage win at Pla d'Adet. George also won last year's road race at the US Professional Road Racing Championship, which relocated from Philadelphia to Greenville last year. George's brother Rich owns Hincapie Sportswear, which is doing very well in Greenville.

I am not a cyclist, but I understand that northern Greenville County is excellent biking country, with some great rides into the mountains. That being said, I don't think you will find the area as bicycle friendly as a place like Boulder. There are few bicycle lanes in the urban areas, for example. Still, Greenville is becoming a real hotbed of cycling activity.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:08 PM

5,545 posts, read 15,318,523 times
Hi jbuhl!

Greenville would be a great place to live if you love cycling. There are tremendous routes all over the region to build your strength and stamina, not to mention the beauty you are able to enjoy as well.

Here are a few links for you to check out:

Greenville Spinners Bicycle Club

USA Cycling Professional Championships 2007 (http://www.usacyclingchampionships.com/index.php - broken link)

Greenville County Long Range Plan Bike Routes (broken link) (PDF)

Carolina Triathlon

Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 PM

I forgot to include Go Magazine, a great resource for news and stories related to several outdoor activities in the Upstate.

For kyaking whitewater, you need to check out the wild and beautiful Chattooga River.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Greenville

Encouraging. If you lived on the northeast side of town, how far is it before you get into the foothills?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,766,494 times
Default Liberals rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuhl View Post
Hello,

Been living in or near Boulder, CO for the last 25 years But I grew up in the Appalachian coal belt of KY. I am exploring job opportunities in Greenville area. Not to concerned about fitting in as both my wife and I are from near by. But I am a cyclist, mountain and road, as well as a kayaker. I am on my bike or in my boat whenever I get any free time. Boulder has one of the most extensive bike path systems in the nation and the city and county has over 50,000 acres of parks and open space that I make use of. Bicyclist are everywhere in Boulder. I saw a note in another thread about cyclist coming to Greenville. What is it like getting around in Greenville on a bike? Are motorist adversarial? What is the closest whitewater? I don't think I could live in a town that puts vehicles above pedestrians and bikes. Should I stay put.
I, too, am interested in how easy it is to get around town on a bike. I did not see a lot of people using their bikes for transportation on my visit ( we did see a lot of people on serious road bikes, wearing all their gear, cycling as a sport/hobby/workout, but not just for transportation). I used to live in Fort Collins, Colorado where there were bike paths and bike lanes everywhere, making it easy to get to work, go out, etc. on your bike. Do people in Greenville do this? Do you get run off the road? Are their bike lanes anywhere, or plans to include them on new roads, or improved roads? Thanks ahead for any input...

Old 08-01-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I, too, am interested in how easy it is to get around town on a bike.
This link looks encouraging:

http://www.greenvilleplanning.com/transportation_planning/Bike%20Routes.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by jbuhl; 08-01-2007 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuhl View Post
This link looks encouraging:
[url=http://preview.tinyurl.com/26t55n[/url]
Yes, it is one of the changes Greenville is experiencing right now, and many more people have become aware of the numerous benefits cycling offers beyond just recreation. The City has really helped lead the way in raising support for building the infrustructure necessary to become a successful urban place to live and there are many plans in the works to continue this development. There are plans in place to sieze Greenville's opportunity to become an outdoor-lover's destination, highlighting the many natural attractions nearby plus creating and enhancing the options in town. We should be hearing more about this in the coming months, if not sooner.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Y There are plans in place to sieze Greenville's opportunity......

Opportunity, thats exactly what Greenville has before it. From what I have been able to uncover in the last 24 hours it looks like Greenville could become a premiere city if they invest the infrastructure and civic policies to put people outside and reduce the dependency on the automobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: