Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
bashing Columbia (or ANY place for that matter)for silly and factually incorrect items it gets old.
Agreed there (emphasis mine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
This has become more obvious to me after living in Charlotte for a while.
Really? Is that an apples to apples comparison?? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM

257 posts, read 327,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Just an opinion..... SHEESH! Chill!
That statement of yours was very telling and seems to be part of some unwarranted superiority complex in the Upstate. Everything doesn't need to be up there and Amazon had very specific reasons for choosing the site they did in Lexington County, which you can read here: Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC Like any area, we're not perfect, but the Midlands has its advantages for doing business as well believe it or not.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
That statement of yours was very telling and seems to be part of some unwarranted superiority complex in the Upstate. Everything doesn't need to be up there and Amazon had very specific reasons for choosing the site they did in Lexington County, which you can read here: Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC Like any area, we're not perfect, but the Midlands has its advantages for doing business as well believe it or not.
I stand duely chastened.... But I won't apologize for cheering for the area/metro that I live in!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 PM

I have no problem with you being a cheerleader for where you live, but it shouldn't be at the expense of other areas in the state. We can have a win-win situation here if Amazon ultimately decides to come back and build both in Lexington and Spartanburg.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Amazon doesn't build just one facility in a state.

Source says Amazon could bring 1,000 jobs to Spartanburg County | GoUpstate.com

Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Lets not let this cause us to forget all of the great things happening in the upstate as of recent.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM

One of the state representatives says in the article, “If they don’t come to Lexington County, they’re not coming anywhere else in the state.” It seems like a no-brainer that this time around, lawmakers from both regions need to work together to bring Amazon to the state. We need these jobs here in South Carolina.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Jeez...this thread took a nose dive. I've started to get away from the whole bashing Columbia thing. No point in doing it anymore. I have always supported the tax break or whatever you want to call it to bring Amazon to Lexington County and create over 1,000 jobs there. This is true even before I knew they had plans for Spartanburg. Look at the first post of this thread or posts #35 and #43 in this one if you don't believe me: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...-amazon-5.html

Last edited by g-man430; 05-13-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I've started to get away from the whole bashing Columbia thing. No point in doing it anymore.
Was there ever a point in doing it? If not, why did you even engage in it in the first place?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
Was there ever a point in doing it? If not, why did you even engage in it in the first place?
Probably not now that I look back on it. Several different reasons for the bashing including midlands legislators trying to kill any chance of GSP getting Southwest Airlines, USC vs. Clemson rivalry, jealously over their highrises getting built while ours got cancelled, being envious of their large zoo and major university located in the downtown setting, getting pissed off that Census gave Columbia more counties in their MSA which made it the largest in the state while we got the screw job (Greenville's MSA got smaller), etc.

And yes, I realize most of that isn't Columbia's fault and it was wrong to take out my anger/frustration/jealously on that city.

Last edited by g-man430; 05-13-2011 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area