Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times

Advertisements

Realize that South Carolina will be one of the last states in the US to pass a state-wide smoking ban - it will take several more years of legislative wrangling. I expect a watered-down version (like NC's) with a minimal fine.

I moved from TN to Simpsonville almost 4 years ago. Of course, TN has a statewide smoking ban. After moving here, we discovered that several of our favorite restaurants in Simpsonville had an awful, smoky haze. Tequila's Mexican Restaurant (in Simpsonville) is fantastic but only offers a smoke free environment on Sunday's. I recall going one Friday night for dinner there and the smoke was so thick (in the "non-smoking" section) we left. The owners were really indifferent. We haven't been back.

About 2 years ago, we moved from Simpsonville to Greenville. Greenville has a smoking ban in all restaurants. What a refreshing experience it is not to inhale nasty smoke with your meal.

I'm surprised that Simpsonville, Mauldin, and Greer have not passed similar smoking ban legislature. Finally, congratulations to Spartanburg for passing a recent ban and consideration of the lives of its patrons and restaurant workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 02:22 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
And where is it written that smoking is a right? Show me. I do not care if you smoke every living breath but when it enfinges on my health it becomes my business.
BTW The steak house is for sale. Owners can not figure out why their business is hurting.
I didn't say smoking was a right. I said it should be the right of the business owner to make descisions for his or her business, right or wrong, profitable or not.

it doesn't infringe on your health if you don't go there.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I didn't say smoking was a right. I said it should be the right of the business owner to make descisions for his or her business, right or wrong, profitable or not.

it doesn't infringe on your health if you don't go there.
So it should be the business owners right not to have health inspections nor to put clean food on your plate. No difference.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:04 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
So it should be the business owners right not to have health inspections nor to put clean food on your plate. No difference.
i'm not a big believer that 2nd hand smoke is any worse that a lot of things we breathe in everyday anyway(unless someone was holding you down and exhaling into your mouth), so that analogy really doesn't fly with me.

This describes my opinion to a T

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 12-21-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
States believe less people will show up in ER with lung issues if it is a no-smoking state. I personally think it is a campaign to put the tobacco companies out of business and this is why.

I am in a state that bans smoking within 15 feet of any entrance to any public building. The fact is the #2 killer behind heart issues is not second hand smoke or even cigarettes. It is Mold Spores. It is impossible to avoid it but it is not impossible to protect the invironment where you live. I did if for six years and during that time there was no colds, flu, lung infections, allergy flares or any other type of sickness or infections. What I learned is people who never smoked and did not live in smoking family died from non-cancer lung diseases, just like smokers do. After that self-imposed experiment I'm inclined to believe the experts like my Envilonmentalist friend who tests houses for mold spores and radon.. It is surprising at the vast number of empty houses across the US that are filled with hidden mold and actually sold. I paid to test four houses before I bought my current house. It was the only one that was not loaded with mold.

States have a right to set publiic health law. People who do not agree have the right to appeal the law. If all the bar and restaurant owners across the state joineded forces and filed a Class Action suit, it would make a bigger impact than if a handful of disgruntled bar downers do it. I do not see where the laws have impacted restaurants nearly as much as bad service and lousy food does. If you like the food you don't smoke for an hour or go outside for a quick smoke. It is an inconvenience but so what? Exercise is a good thing for most people.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
States believe less people will show up in ER with lung issues if it is a no-smoking state. I personally think it is a campaign to put the tobacco companies out of business and this is why.

I am in a state that bans smoking within 15 feet of any entrance to any public building. The fact is the #2 killer behind heart issues is not second hand smoke or even cigarettes. It is Mold Spores. It is impossible to avoid it but it is not impossible to protect the invironment where you live. I did if for six years and during that time there was no colds, flu, lung infections, allergy flares or any other type of sickness or infections. What I learned is people who never smoked and did not live in smoking family died from non-cancer lung diseases, just like smokers do. After that self-imposed experiment I'm inclined to believe the experts like my Envilonmentalist friend who tests houses for mold spores and radon.. It is surprising at the vast number of empty houses across the US that are filled with hidden mold and actually sold. I paid to test four houses before I bought my current house. It was the only one that was not loaded with mold.

States have a right to set publiic health law. People who do not agree have the right to appeal the law. If all the bar and restaurant owners across the state joineded forces and filed a Class Action suit, it would make a bigger impact than if a handful of disgruntled bar downers do it. I do not see where the laws have impacted restaurants nearly as much as bad service and lousy food does. If you like the food you don't smoke for an hour or go outside for a quick smoke. It is an inconvenience but so what? Exercise is a good thing for most people.

What the heck does mold in houses have to do with smoking in public places. Fact 1 - Smoking is harmful to the smoker and those around them. Fact 2 - Smokers Stink.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Simpsonville just passed a smoking ban...

Simpsonville smoking ban passed | Greenville News - WYFF Home

Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Simpsonville just passed a smoking ban...
So, I might be able to enter the restaurants in Simpsonville again. Now Mauldin needs to do this also.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:33 AM

672 posts, read 1,417,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
So, I might be able to enter the restaurants in Simpsonville again. Now Mauldin needs to do this also.
This. The last time I had dinner at Milano (which I love!) I had to stand in the cash register line, next to the smoking section. I had to shower and wash my clothes, needless to say. This is a great development for my family!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Boo to the tree idiots on council who voted against this ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area