Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,170 times

Advertisements

Half of the people I know who live in Spartanburg County are originally from the Northeast or Midwest. I dont know where you were living in Spartanburg County - if you were in an area like Pauline or Startex and never ventured out of those small areas, then I could see how you would get the impression that you did. But seriously, I know tons of northerners living all over Spartanburg, Duncan, Moore, Boiling Springs, Greer, etc. etc.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that it will often take someone a little more than three months to completely "assimilate" into their new community - regardless of where you are from. Greenville has more of a transplant feel in many ways but that's also because it's a larger area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
I see you live nearby; we are in Seminole, FL. We bought property in the upstate about 4 years ago, and will be building our future home this year. Everyone we have met has been very welcoming. I agree; in downtown Greenville, you will probably meet more transplants than natives.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I don't tell people where I'm from unless asked. Once I get to know people, of course they find out, but by then we're friends. So many people are moving to SC from FL, they're probably not all that thrilled to hear, "Hi! We just moved here from Florida!"

Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
I see you live nearby; we are in Seminole, FL. We bought property in the upstate about 4 years ago, and will be building our future home this year. Everyone we have met has been very welcoming. I agree; in downtown Greenville, you will probably meet more transplants than natives.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I don't tell people where I'm from unless asked. Once I get to know people, of course they find out, but by then we're friends. So many people are moving to SC from FL, they're probably not all that thrilled to hear, "Hi! We just moved here from Florida!"

I agree. I hate saying I'm from Florida. Every time I meet another Floridian I cringe. One reason I left SOFLA was to get away from the crazy Floridians and their impatience, their terrible driving skills, their rudness, and so on. Then I realize those Floridians who've made a home here probably left for the same reasons and have (hopefully) left whatever "bad habits" back in FL. Those who don't adapt to the simpler and more easy going way of life here (compared to FL) seem to go back from where they came, and to those I say "good ridance!"

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,803 times
We moved to the Greenville area 13 months ago, and love it. Northerners and Floridians just need to go with the flow--and enjoy.
(Don't make waves).

Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,500 times
Default No matter where you go...

No matter where you go you will find people who resent outsiders from coming into their area or people who are not as friendly. I lived in Ct. all my life. My daughters friend moved there with her family from New York. The mom complained that everyone seemed so unfriendly there compared to where she was from. I also met another family from Alabama. Same feelings. When I moved to Florida there were friendly people and not so friendly. It is everywhere. You just have to find your own way. Now I will be moving to the Greenville area from fl. sometime within the next year. I am sure I will find the same thing going on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area