U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking on city-data for some time and have read a bunch of your threads and comments. I am looking to see if this is an area that my wife, dog and I would like to relocate to. I would obviously have to find a job in the Greenille / Spartanburg area before making the jump but I am begining to look a little more seriously in this area now. We stopped there on our way home from vacation on easter weekend and really enjoyed the downtown area, we camped in the Sumter national forest on saturday night. We are rather active people, really enjoy the outdoors such as hiking, backpacking, kayaking (not whitewater) and biking and do not mind a 45 minutes commute to greenville for work.

Couple of questions:
1. I would look to either build or buy a house of $250-$325k, schools are not really a concern b/c we have no kids, the exception to this would be resale value many years from now. Would like to have a house either in a subdivison or by itself does not really matter. Based on what we like what areas would be a good start to begin looking for a house. I have read several comments about the east and southeast side of greenville but that might put us aways from the good hiking and kayaking spots.
2. Do houses in this area have basements and 3 car garages? I see very few on the real estate web pages that do?
3. What are some of the better homebuilders down there so that I can get on their web sites and check them out?

Thanks
Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,967,246 times
Welcome! As your price range is a bit rich for me personally, I don't have experience with builders in that category. But, if you need/want to be near hiking/mountain sports & activities, I'd suggest looking at the Paris Mountain area and the area near Furman University. The Green Valley area has lovely homes & condos in a couple different developments. Otherwise, what you've heard is pretty much correct.

Again, I can only say based on personal experience, but most homes on sloped lots in my neighborhood do have basements. On flat lots, it's pretty much hit or miss. I'd say chances are pretty good of finding 3-car garages in most homes in the price range you mentioned, just based on riding around the area. Others will no doubt chime in with more specific info.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,576,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taherrmann4 View Post
I have been lurking on city-data for some time and have read a bunch of your threads and comments. I am looking to see if this is an area that my wife, dog and I would like to relocate to. I would obviously have to find a job in the Greenille / Spartanburg area before making the jump but I am begining to look a little more seriously in this area now. We stopped there on our way home from vacation on easter weekend and really enjoyed the downtown area, we camped in the Sumter national forest on saturday night. We are rather active people, really enjoy the outdoors such as hiking, backpacking, kayaking (not whitewater) and biking and do not mind a 45 minutes commute to greenville for work.

Couple of questions:
1. I would look to either build or buy a house of $250-$325k, schools are not really a concern b/c we have no kids, the exception to this would be resale value many years from now. Would like to have a house either in a subdivison or by itself does not really matter. Based on what we like what areas would be a good start to begin looking for a house. I have read several comments about the east and southeast side of greenville but that might put us aways from the good hiking and kayaking spots.
2. Do houses in this area have basements and 3 car garages? I see very few on the real estate web pages that do?
3. What are some of the better homebuilders down there so that I can get on their web sites and check them out?

Thanks
Todd
I can't really speak for builders, but if you really want to be closer to the mountains and lakes, and don't mind the drive, there's a lot of rural areas to the north of town that are nice as well. We really like it up along HWY 11. There are even several developments out that way.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM

23 posts, read 34,690 times
Check out Castle Rock subdivision, north of Greer. The mountain views, the neighborhood, and the neighbors are great. Simons Homes is an excellent, hands on builder. Castle Rock is approx 30 min from Greenville, 30 min from Spartenburg, and 25 min from Landrum.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM

10,815 posts, read 15,118,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I can't really speak for builders, but if you really want to be closer to the mountains and lakes, and don't mind the drive, there's a lot of rural areas to the north of town that are nice as well. We really like it up along HWY 11. There are even several developments out that way.

Very nice subdivision that you might like, actually in Campobello off Rt. 11, but 5 mins. from downtown Tryon.

Links'O'Tryon is the name of the development, should have what you are looking for; you will need to contact a good Realtor in the upstate area that handles the foothill communities.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,407 times
Thank you everyone.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,554 times
Hi Taherrmann,

As a life long Greenville native I'll say an early welcome to the area! I think you'll love it here. I've lived all over the SE and there was no question where my wife and I would settle when we got out of school. Greenville is just big enough to have great entertainment, schools, and restaurants but small enough to avoid the horrible traffic and congestion. I think it's the best of both worlds.

If you're interested in outdoor activities I'd definitely recommend the northern part of the county. I live in Simpsonville but the good trails, rivers, and bike paths are in Travelers Rest. 20 years ago living there might have been too rural for most people but since the Cliffs communities have moved in it has gotten more "civilized".

As for builders I used a company called Carson Construction. I knew the owner previously and picked him because he was a friend. Lucky for me he turned out to be really good at what he does. He gave us just what we wanted and always went the extra step to make sure things were just right. His spreadsheet he used to quote the job dropped a zero on one of the subcontractors and he actually lost money on that part because he refused to make us pay for his mistake. The whole job came in under budget and early which from what I understand is pretty weird. His email is steve@carsonconstructionllc.com.

Springtime is great here! We're going tonight to have pizza outside at a local restaurant where a friend plays guitar and then a drive in movie.

Rob

Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 PM

177 posts, read 418,533 times
Try any for the Cliff's properties.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM

62 posts, read 159,616 times
Default The Cliffs

If you end up contacting the Cliffs...ask for Wes. I have spoken with him twice and he is very nice & full of information. The Cliffs was also running a special on actually staying in one of their homes when you visit. This may have expired.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area