Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,351 times

Advertisements

You couldn't pay me enough money to move back to FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
I second that! It's definitely NOT all about money - as "they" say, money can't buy you happiness!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
That's the way we feel, and we haven't even gotten out of here yet.

We feel like we've done our research very well, and put a lot of thought and time into our decision. If for some unforeseen reason we have made a mistake, we'll look somewhere else before coming back here.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,242 times
Thumbs up Halfback who is staying!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Since I didn't get much response in the SC forum:

How many of you have stayed? How many of you have gone back to FL? What is your reasoning for your choice? Where are/did you live in the Greenville area?

I see a lot of Floridians have moved there and I was curious as to why and if you stayed or not.
I was born and raised in N.Y. Moved to Italy and stayed 10 years, then moved to south Florida and now I live in Greenville. The one thing you can be sure of is people all want the same things in life. There are nice people, mean people good drivers and bad everywhere. I have known people who are materialistic in all of these places. Here included. The state you live in does not dictate your choices in life. There are rich and poor everywhere, and there are phoneys too. There are also a lot of very good honest people in every corner of the world .

Old 05-24-2011, 02:37 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri88 View Post
I was born and raised in N.Y. Moved to Italy and stayed 10 years, then moved to south Florida and now I live in Greenville. The one thing you can be sure of is people all want the same things in life. There are nice people, mean people good drivers and bad everywhere. I have known people who are materialistic in all of these places. Here included. The state you live in does not dictate your choices in life. There are rich and poor everywhere, and there are phoneys too. There are also a lot of very good honest people in every corner of the world .
Very true, but I think valid, general comparisons & contrasts can certainly be made between regions.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:27 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Healthcare was a priority for us and personally for what we felt we needed Greenville did not offer it. Believe me we looked. Different strokes for different folks. When you are ill and you find type of heathcare that works for you..believe me you search it out. All of the healthcare professionals we dealt with in Greenville shunned what we were looking for. Not very open minded at all!!
Could you expand on this? We are in Miami and have been considering somewhere in the Carolinas or further up the state of FL. We visited Greenville a month ago and loved it but I have not researched healthcare in the area. Could you tell about your experiences if you feel you can? Thank you.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:48 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Could you expand on this? We are in Miami and have been considering somewhere in the Carolinas or further up the state of FL. We visited Greenville a month ago and loved it but I have not researched healthcare in the area. Could you tell about your experiences if you feel you can? Thank you.

Will try to explain without getting feedback from others. OK. Everyone has their own health issues. Regarding care we prefer I will say we found that some docs went so far as to say "that is illegal i here" (in SC). We needed to travel just over into NC border to find care we wanted. This also was expensive as they likely knew that the business was good as not much competition in area for them.

We had no problems at all getting care we preferred in SOFLA area. Were much healthier there so we knew it helped. Most main-stream docs so to speak will treat what they can see ON PAPER. None will treat based on HOW WE FELL. When we started doing more alternative/complemetary treatments we both had more energy and felt better. To explain one major problem was Thyroid treatment. Now most doctors will only treat if they see problem like I said on paper frm test results. In Florida the doctor there agreed to treat based on HOW WE FEEL. With thyroid treatment we felt fantastic!! Basically every health problem we had disappeared. When we moved to NY we were able to continue Thyroid hormones, but hard and pricey do do other treatments and main-stream docs shrugged us off so makes it hard and dangerous to share that we are doing them with alternative docs. We prefer DO's (osteopathic). They are more open-minded.
In SOLFA we did vitamin-infususions 1x week. The doc we used was the best one we ever saw in our lives and we regret leaving and that is main reason we are movign back to area.

Basically depending on the medical problems you have and the type of care you are looking for you will run into a problem. Heathcare in Miami is great U of Miami is where my main-stream doc was and she in research and fantastic, but my DO was in Broward where we lived and short drive so easy to see weekly.

In our opinion..I do not care what others have to say as this was our experience and we saw many docs in Greenville. It sucks. I did manage to even tell a few that they are.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 13,106 times
Thumbs up We are Loving it here!

I guess we are what is termed "halfbackers" in that we were raised in PA, lived in FT Lauderdale area for 22 years and Tampa area for 7 yrs before moving to the Spartanburg area in '06. We are very happy with our decision to leave FL behind and relocate to the upstate and have no plans whatsoever to move back to any part of FL or back to the northeast ! We came for many reasons-tired of hurricane evacuations ('04 way too many), retired living was going to be more difficult financially-FL was no longer the inexpensive place for retirees to live, believe or not, and we were ready for some seasonal changes that we hadn't experienced for 29 yrs. We live in a somewhat "rural" area of Spartanburg county and enjoy the country-like surroundings yet we can be at mall or shopping plazas within 10 minutes with little or no traffic unlike in FL where we had lived! We also love,love the fact that we can hop on I-26 and be up in the NC mountains in no time or head on down to the SC coast within 3 or so hours- we have the best of both worlds!! We are not the kind of folks who want to keep up with the Jones, or want to try to change the wonderful folks who have lived here all their lives- we are just enjoying the warm southern friendliness and culture of this upstate area!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Valicky - I'm born and raised in Miami and lived there all my life until this past February when we moved to the Greenville area. I'm back in Miami FOR A VISIT ONLY and would be happy to talk to you about what I know about Greenville and having looked for a home for over a year, buying one almost a year and a half ago, going back and forth over this time, and then finally making the move there.

My DH had to find a Dr there and our friends recommended a GP which my DH thought highly off - nothing like Miami where you are like a herd of cattle rushed in and out of an office. Also, living close to a good hospital was important for us as well and Greenville is suppose to have a great hospital, and we're close to it!

If you want to talk P/M me your number and a good time to call - I'm in W. Kendall out by Tamiami Airport area if you want to meet for coffee one morning.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
Aha! Well, that's sortof a cute term then.

What about folks who move from the northeast directly to SC -- are they simply Yankees?!
When I moved to SC from ME I was told I was a dam yankee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area