U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:46 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,645,246 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering Greenville. This is a recent decision due to my son's half brother and his family moving to Marion, NC, which is less than 2 hours from Greenville. I know Greenville seems generally like a good place on the surface, but since I have a 10 yr old special needs child I would like some input as to where the safer areas are with the better schools, that are still relatively close to the downtown area. We would love to be able to rent a house in a community with other families so he can have friends and be able to go outside and ride his bike, etc., but we need to try to keep it to around 1000 per month or so. I know there are decent homes for rent there, but am not sure about safety and schools. As I said, my son has special needs but is fully integrated with the other students and generally has no real problem getting along with others, he just needs a good special ed. program with options like music, art, etc., and a reputation for graduating a good amount of students. It would also be nice to not be really rural to where we would be isolated from shopping, events, etc. Any input is appeciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

609 posts, read 1,406,502 times
Mauldin / Simpsonville = Better for schools and Quality of LIving is great. Costs of living are slightly less & everything is better.

Personally I'd say stay near woodruff road because it will give you great access to cit with i385 close by and all things you need for basic shopping.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM

10,062 posts, read 19,932,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Mauldin / Simpsonville = Better for schools and Quality of LIving is great. Costs of living are slightly less & everything is better.

Personally I'd say stay near woodruff road because it will give you great access to cit with i385 close by and all things you need for basic shopping.
Sojones? Woah...talk about a resurrection. Haven't seen you on this forum in years.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,645,246 times
Quote:

Thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it! Are Simpsonville and Mauldin considered suburbs of Greenville, or are they completely separate cities? How far away are they, and when yo say school and quality of life being better, could you please specify? Also, is it considered to be more rural or have less conveniences than Greenville? Thanks.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Sojones? Woah...talk about a resurrection. Haven't seen you on this forum in years.
G-Man, Yes, I try to browse here and there.

Honestly, I'm usually traveling somewhere or something these days. I work in entertainment. Right now when i'm at home I barely go out.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 AM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Are Simpsonville and Mauldin considered suburbs of Greenville, or are they completely separate cities? How far away are they? Also, is it considered to be more rural or have less conveniences than Greenville?
Mauldin and Simpsonville are incorporated cities in Greenville County. They feed off of Greenville.

Mauldin's center is approximately eight miles from Greenville. Simpsonville would be another five miles.

Mauldin is mostly residential with light industry. Simpsonville is also residential with rural areas on its western and eastern extremities.

An area in Greenville County I would advise to stay away from because of crime would be Cedar Lane Road. That area has been notorious in recent months for nightclub shootings and a drive by fatality.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Mauldin is directly connected to Greenville. It's not the suburbs but actually a city itself and part of the Metropolitan of Greenville as stated.

8 Miles .... I'm not sure what direction you are going in but I think that's if you live in Suburbs of Mauldin. I live in mauldin and am actually 10 minute WALKING distance to Greenville's most popular road Woodruff Road.

I jump in 385 and am in Downtown Greenville within 15 minutes, no traffic. Within 30 minutes light/medium traffic.

It is mostly residential though. We have around 1/3rd the population size of Greenville in a smaller more densley populated area.

The cool part about Mauldin, we have the choice of going shopping in Greenville and Simpsonville which has a bustling economy on Fairview Road. CHange of scenery is great & sometimes you dont want to deal with Greenville's 385 traffic at 6pm.

^ a map.

-North Greenville is pretty country & bland

-West Greenville, could be wrong but from the 20+ years I've lived here, usually had the city's higher crime areas & poorer schooling / that's all around the downtown. The landscape is changing though.

-Greenville area where Pelham Rd & i85 intersect is nice. Upper Class. I forget the name of this area.

-Everything Along Woodruff Road / Five Forks is Great.. Upper Middle Class typically... which is where i live near is Mauldin.

Mauldin / Simpsonville have better schools IMO. I do not know the statistics however, someone else would have to research and post that. I'm speaking from a once-student persepctive.

He says Mauldin/Simp feed off of Greenville but I think it all works harmoniously.

I lived in Mauldin 16 years, moved to Georgia, then came back to an apartment in Greenville (across from Hayward Mall) for 6 months before i moved to New York City.... When I came back I purchased my house in Mauldin. All depends on what you want but i know for 'comfort of living', I'm in Mauldin.

Last edited by sojones; 06-14-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Quote:
8 Miles .... I'm not sure what direction you are going in but I think that's if you live in Suburbs of Mauldin. I live in mauldin and am actually 10 minute WALKING distance to Greenville's most popular road Woodruff Road.
I am going north from Main Street at Butler Road up US-276 to Interstate 85.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Yeah, that's why.

385 is a lot shorter. Who would take 85 out of Mauldin? That's a LONG WAY out of the way. No wonder, now i see.

That part of Greenville you are headed to isn't even a popular destination. In short, that's 'the hood' . I grew up going out there but giving the layman's of the situation, nobody moving here is going to be making a daily trip towards district 25... nothing is there

Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM

344 posts, read 690,145 times
My favorite area is Pelham Rd around I85- the Parkway, Batesville Rd, Devenger Rd, Gibb Shoals Rd- good schools, good neighborhoods, lots of families, close to shopping, easy access to everywhere, very low crime. Welcome to Greenville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area