Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,040 times

Advertisements

I don't know what all of the fuss is about. In looking at the drawings attached to the fenced area, it is clear the public space will remain. In fact, it looks to me like there will be more public space than ever, especially more than is there now. I hope they get rid of the concrete in that are now and replace it with green space. I have all confidence the developers will make this a space for all the people. You guys just need to be patient and see what happens. It has to be better that what is out there right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You're wrong about the plaza's current/recent usage. I agree that it has rarely seen maximum utilization and that will undoubtedly improve with renovation alongside the One project, but you are taking Mr. Conway's concerns out of context by comparing him to Billy Mitchell or those who opposed Falls Park. He is excited about the new development, but wants reassurance that the public plaza will indeed live up to its full potential. He is justified because the City has not denied the accuracy of his claim, nor have they (as of this morning) produced an adequate response to clear up the controversy. If other space will be added as compensation for the encroachment, then it should be easy to convince those who doubt the anticipated effectiveness of the proposed changes. Such significant changes should be scrutinized by residents in the immediate neighborhood, just as they are in most neighborhoods around town. I am confident that everything will ultimately turn out for the better in this particular case, unlike the Mitchell/RiverPlace incident.
In my opinion I would say I am pretty much dead on accurate about the plaza's current usage. The only time I ever see it having good foot traffic minus a few exceptions is on Saturday nights in the Summer from the drunks hanging out in front of the bar there. If you want to disagree with that assessment though then I am perfectly fine with it. Mr. Conway called the development ugly and massive. He also stated that Max Heller is rolling over in his grave thanks to it. Not sure about you but those are not the words I would use to describe a development I am excited about. The site plan below clearly shows that some public space in the middle of Piazza Bergamo will be taken away while more will be added in the front and back of the site that's currently not used for public space. I highly doubt the city would spend $4 million to completely get rid of it:

Last edited by g-man430; 06-19-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 PM

OH MY...Challenge To Major Greenville Project Could Reach Court - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/28299692/detail.html - broken link) He doesn't seem to understand that the design standards are guidelines and not requirements for downtown development. I highly doubt this case will hold up in court.

Last edited by g-man430; 06-20-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Quote:
I am confident that everything will ultimately turn out for the better in this particular case, unlike the Mitchell/RiverPlace incident.
"Unlike" the Mitchell/Riverplace incident? Not sure what that means, but the steps and walkway along the river are incredibly popular, and important. Eminent domain took the land for PUBLIC use and that use has been incredibly significant. What exactly do you consider bad about the riverwalk and the access to Main St?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
OH MY...Challenge To Major Greenville Project Could Reach Court - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/28299692/detail.html - broken link) He doesn't seem to understand that the design standards are guidelines and not requirements for downtown development. I highly doubt this case will hold up in court.
That's my understanding as well. I sure hope that's the case!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM

30 posts, read 43,839 times
The problem with the proposed project is it's ugly as sin. I never thought it took up public space, but it's so freakin' ugly!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantornikolaos View Post
The problem with the proposed project is it's ugly as sin. I never thought it took up public space, but it's so freakin' ugly!
In your opinion.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantornikolaos View Post
I don't think it's ugly at all. Find it great looking myself actually. What's a cantornikolaos anyways? Oh and:

Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
As I said earlier somewhere in this forum, the controversy isn't centered around the project's functionality, but rather its design. Name one person who is opposed to the project's size, footprint, architectural design, and the list of tenants, including the new jobs. I am primarily disappointed in its design because that property reserves maximum potential for a visually stunning and artistically inspirational focal point that embodies refined versions of the most endearing characteristics found in downtown. The latest proposal will undoubtedly fulfill some of that potential, but will ultimately suffer from shortsighted architectural design, in my opinion (based solely on three computer-generated renderings). If I am a "hater" for expressing anything less than love for every part of this development, then so be it.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Name one person who is opposed to the project's size, footprint, architectural design, and the list of tenants, including the new jobs. I am primarily disappointed in its design because that property reserves maximum potential for a visually stunning and artistically inspirational focal point that embodies refined versions of the most endearing characteristics found in downtown. The latest proposal will undoubtedly fulfill some of that potential, but will ultimately suffer from shortsighted architectural design, in my opinion (based solely on three computer-generated renderings). If I am a "hater" for expressing anything less than love for every part of this development, then so be it.
Like i've said before, Mr. Conway stated that the development is ugly and massive. There's your one person. I agree that the buildings could have been better placed, taller, more architecturally pleasing, etc. but beggars can't be choosers and this new design is much more improved in my opinion than the Cousins Properties one released in late 2008. I am very happy with this development and thankful Bob Hughes is taking action along with building something in our downtown most cities would dream of right now with this recession. He's not sitting on his hands like other downtown Greenville developers you see.

Last edited by g-man430; 06-21-2011 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area