Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,299 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Sorry to add yet another one of these types of posts to the forum, but I've been doing searches for months of all of the posts and have the information recorded. I'm trying to decide between renting in Inman and Mauldin (eventually purchasing a home. Trying to decide now, though, to avoid another school change for the kids). I'll be working in Spartanburg. I did drive around the area but not to these divisions.

My take: Inman is smaller, good schools, closer to Spartanburg;
Mauldin is bigger, closer to Greenville, obviously longer drive to work but good schools (although bigger) also. Closer to major shopping and activities. Both (I think) would give us the ability to purchase a home with a 1/2 to 1 acre, with still being close to major cities for shopping, etc.

Is there any obvious consideration I am missing?

Thanks very much!

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,991 times
I would say that Boiling Springs and Mauldin are more comparable than Inman and Mauldin. But Boiling Springs is right next to Inman, and some people who say they live in BS really have an Inman address, etc. Not sure which schools you are talking about since parts of Inman are in District 1 and others in District 2. Generally District 2 is better regarded because Boiling Springs is a growing area. Driving from Mauldin to Spartanburg proper is going to take you considerably more time than driving from most areas of Inman/Boiling Springs to Spartanburg.

Have you also looked at areas like Duncan or Greer? I think both would be more common suburban type areas that people who work in Spartanburg choose before Mauldin, just given location. Also the District 5 schools that cover Duncan and the Spartanburg County portion of Greer is a great district with lots of new schools and good rankings.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry to add yet another one of these types of posts to the forum, but I've been doing searches for months of all of the posts and have the information recorded. I'm trying to decide between renting in Inman and Mauldin (eventually purchasing a home. Trying to decide now, though, to avoid another school change for the kids). I'll be working in Spartanburg. I did drive around the area but not to these divisions.

My take: Inman is smaller, good schools, closer to Spartanburg;
Mauldin is bigger, closer to Greenville, obviously longer drive to work but good schools (although bigger) also. Closer to major shopping and activities. Both (I think) would give us the ability to purchase a home with a 1/2 to 1 acre, with still being close to major cities for shopping, etc.

Is there any obvious consideration I am missing?

Thanks very much!

Kim
Why not Boiling Springs? And, did you not consider Columbus NC ? Neither one is as crowded as Mauldin, nor as isolated as Inman.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM

344 posts, read 816,319 times
I would also suggest Greer if you are looking at commuting to Spartanburg. You have very easy access to from either Pelham Rd or 14, and the schools in that area are great. We prefer Greenville County, but if you don't mind Spartanburg County, Duncan and Moore are also nice. They are both in Spartanburg County, but you'd have easy access to both Greenville and Spartanburg. If you really like Mauldin though, it is a great area, and it's about 10 minutes further on the highway than Greer.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,299 times
Thanks, everyone! Appreciate the great suggestions. I should have told you that I'm not sure where my husband will end up finding a job so I'm trying to pick a central location - but you've given wonderful insight. Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area