Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Downtown has no real attractions / entertainment value. So whoever would live there, in the center of a lot of bad areas crime wise, would more than likely only do so b/c they work there or have never lived here to know what they are doing.

That bridge is not going to keep people who live here coming back every day like "oh that was fun".................... it's a nice thing to take a date under but Greenville needs entertainment... period..............

Lol and you call this one of the fatest growing mid-sized Metros in the nation? Are you kidding Me?

Raleigh-Durham, NC probably had double that amount of population growth in 2004 alone..........................

Greenville needs a lot of notes taken and people who've been making decisions for a while, ousted.

Actually, Raleigh is taking notes from us, not the other way around. Read this if you don't believe me: newsobserver.com | Home Also, we have a Westin and Hyatt downtown. Does Raleigh have that? No. I love proving people wrong when they make false accusations about a place where they had a bad time.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Downtown has no real attractions / entertainment value. So whoever would live there, in the center of a lot of bad areas crime wise, would more than likely only do so b/c they work there or have never lived here to know what they are doing.

That bridge is not going to keep people who live here coming back every day like "oh that was fun".................... it's a nice thing to take a date under but Greenville needs entertainment... period..............
You clearly do not know what you are writing about. If you can sit there and say that Greenville has absolutely no entertainment and then say that downtown is a terrible place to live because it lacks attractions/entertainment and is loaded with crime then something is definitely wrong with your perspective on life. (It is sounding like a personal vendetta.) On the contrary, downtown Greenville today is easily the best location to live in the entire Upstate because it has all of those things (minus the high crime rate you lied about) and much more in one place. Instead of whining about perceived problems, you should consider using your spare time to be productive and really enjoy your life - here in Greenville or somewhere else where you and your emotions can relax and be at peace.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,380 times
Yeah, sorry sojones but you've got a lot of things wrong. Please, please do some research before posting stuff like this.

I don't really need to clear up anything, as everyone has covered a lot of it, but Greenville has plenty of entertainment, downtown is a great place to live without the crime you speak of.

Also, GSP has treated my family well. We have never payed double the price of what you can find in Atlanta or Charlotte. We usually get pretty decent deals...sounds to me like you just need to plan your travels a little better and scout out some prices before sealing the deal. Just the other week me and my mom bought round trip airfare to and from Chicago, cheaper than tickets leaving from Charlotte.

Once again, research. Much of what you said is NOT true.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Default Segregation

I have been seriously looking at Greenville as my future home. In response to the above post, I am happy to hear all points of view, but let me ask you this. Where isn't there bigotry and segregation?

New York and Calif have the 2 largest ghettos in the United States. An unarmed Black man was shot to death for no reason in NYC. In Miami police tasered a little Black child who was acting out at school. Gay bashing is everywhere. Anti-semitism is on the rise with an increase in personal attacks and vandalism. My Hispanic friends go crazy everytime someone looks at them and automatically assumes they're illegal or is surprised they speak English.

By the way, coincidentally I came across the site with pictures of the store in Laurens and their anti-Jew, anti-Black, anti-Gay, anti-Latino, pro-Hitler convention when googling for information months ago. I could not believe this shop was in America. It is revolting and an insult to everyone who believes in God, since it is pure evil. I wish the good people of SC would put pressure on the town to run them out, but unless they're in violation of the First Amendment, they unfortunately have a right to be there. I changed my mind about moving to SC until I began to realize there is probably a Nazi living around the corner from me now, but I just don't know it.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I have been seriously looking at Greenville as my future home. In response to the above post, I am happy to hear all points of view, but let me ask you this. Where isn't there bigotry and segregation?

New York and Calif have the 2 largest ghettos in the United States. An unarmed Black man was shot to death for no reason in NYC. In Miami police tasered a little Black child who was acting out at school. Gay bashing is everywhere. Anti-semitism is on the rise with an increase in personal attacks and vandalism. My Hispanic friends go crazy everytime someone looks at them and automatically assumes they're illegal or is surprised they speak English.

By the way, coincidentally I came across the site with pictures of the store in Laurens and their anti-Jew, anti-Black, anti-Gay, anti-Latino, pro-Hitler convention when googling for information months ago. I could not believe this shop was in America. It is revolting and an insult to everyone who believes in God, since it is pure evil. I wish the good people of SC would put pressure on the town to run them out, but unless they're in violation of the First Amendment, they unfortunately have a right to be there. I changed my mind about moving to SC until I began to realize there is probably a Nazi living around the corner from me now, but I just don't know it.
Very true, terrible people are everywhere. If you really like the area, that store should NOT keep you from moving here. I've actually never seen or heard of the store, so it hasn't had any affect on me. You were searching for info and found that...I guess that goes for any place. If you look hard enough you will find plenty of problems.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:28 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Thanks for all the info, sojones! Gville sounds like my kinda place!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:28 AM

14 posts, read 91,782 times
This thread really should be renamed to something more appropriate that matches the authors post. Something more like “My experiences in Greenville as an extremely biased person”
Greenville is great and I have lived in SC all my life. As per racial bias there does exist some in Greenville. But nowhere near what your trying to claim. Actually Greenville bends over backwards to try to accommodate the black population. It is ridiculous but true. I am white and never had a ticket dropped. I guess in Greenville your only guilty if your white. I guess using your terms I was DWW.
They are very forgiving of crimes committed by blacks. I guess that is their best attempts at racial harmony most likely they fear another LA riot would ensue if they didn't.
Hey don't get me wrong Greenville is not just biased in favor of blacks but the Spanish population as well. Greenville has become very overrun with illegals and the locals do very little to round them up and deport them. Worse the feds wont cooperate either to help send them home. From what I have heard they will not even pull over suspected illegals anymore.
They could raid the many businesses right now anyone from manufacturing plants to construction companies and round up loads of illegal immigrants but they wont.
Now before anyone says anything ridiculous like all Spanish people are not illegal. I am fully aware of the fact that there are many that are legal and decent citizens but they are getting a bad rap because of all the ones that are not decent law abiding citizens.
As per the whole flack about down town Greenville not being all that great for entertainment they routinely shut down Main st for the weekends to host huge parties as well as special events. And while they do have a small road servicing Main st they have built many parking garages around the area. So plenty of parking just not on main.
As for the comments about the educational system it does need to be fixed as it does not truly help to develop human potential and capitalize on peoples strong points. The whole point is supposed to be to help get the student ready for the work force or to run a business. But the truth is that they have loaded down the system with much more than need be. One such event is the fact that black history is forced upon the children of SC just to please the black population. Which is very discriminatory indeed. We don't have white only week or any other race that has their on special week dedicated just to them. Nor do we need it at all. Hey if you want to embrace other cultures do so on your own free time and your own dime at home.
Now as for the drop out rates and test scoring rates give credit where credit is due. It is a societal failure not a school problem. If you check into it you will find those that are having school problems or societal problems as well for that matter all trace back to their home environment. They get home and parents do little to nothing to help them with their schooling or make attempts at home after school to educate their children to make up for whatever short comings they feel are going on at school. Most of the problems I am sure you will find trace back to divorced parents or drugs and alcohol. And I am positive you would find this at any town USA not just Greenville.
Point of the whole post really boils down to this Greenville is Greenville not NYC or any other city for that matter. You either like it or you don't that is why everyone is free to move where ever they like. We actually have a growing population that agrees that Greenville is great.

Last edited by supernix; 09-03-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: More of those formatting errors

Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 AM

83 posts, read 484,099 times
This thread is a great example of why I say that Greenville is not a homogeneous place. There is a lot of diversity of thought. In this thread, exhibit A is Sojones. Exhibit B is Supernix. They are clearly on opposite ends of the spectrum in their views. Most other posters on this forum are somewhere in between. As much as I disagree with both Sojones and Supernix on various points, I'm glad to see that all perspectives are being heard. It makes Greenville more and more of a healthy marketplace of ideas, rather than a monolithic bastion of conservatism.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfromGreenville View Post
This thread is a great example of why I say that Greenville is not a homogeneous place. There is a lot of diversity of thought. In this thread, exhibit A is Sojones. Exhibit B is Supernix. They are clearly on opposite ends of the spectrum in their views. Most other posters on this forum are somewhere in between. As much as I disagree with both Sojones and Supernix on various points, I'm glad to see that all perspectives are being heard. It makes Greenville more and more of a healthy marketplace of ideas, rather than a monolithic bastion of conservatism.
Very well said! I agree 100%!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,471 times
Default I just dont get it

Referring to the original post, It just amazes me that someone would judge a city based on how "down & dirty" the bar type entertainment should be. How "hot the chicks" are for dating.
No matter what race I am, who in the world would want to raise a family to wonder if some "hip-hop-urban" predator is scouting out my son/dgtr to "hit-on". Be as stylish as you want, I'm just fine with diversity that doesn’t suit me but that just sounds like a "predator" mentality. There is SOOOOO much more to life than a "hot-rockin-entertainment" scene and roaming to&fro looking for "chicks".
I am so glad the VAST majority of folks in Greenville want decency and order amidst decent & orderly diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area