Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 AM

192 posts, read 429,313 times

Advertisements

Poison ivy isn't any fun at all. When you do get a rash on your hands or arms, running hot, hot water over the infected area will make it itch intensely for a while, but the itch will subside for a couple of hours within a few minutes, as the heat will release the histimines that cause the itch. The recommendation of antihistimines above (Claritin, et al) is great if you can tolerate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:52 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rygo View Post
In more recent times, Plantain has been acclaimed for its ability to relieve bee stings, insect and spider bites, and rashes from an unfortunate encounter with Poison Ivy or Stinging Nettles. Dr. Christopher referred to Plantain, along with Jewelweed, and Hound's Tongue as 'Nature's erasers.'
As a kid, I tried Jewelweed on Poison Ivy, the result was zero relief.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbarth View Post
Poison ivy isn't any fun at all. When you do get a rash on your hands or arms, running hot, hot water over the infected area will make it itch intensely for a while, but the itch will subside for a couple of hours within a few minutes, as the heat will release the histimines that cause the itch. The recommendation of antihistimines above (Claritin, et al) is great if you can tolerate them.
I use ice which gives almost immediate relief, and the relief lasts for about 1 hour. The antihistimines and anti-itch creams are also good.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:21 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Poison Ivy and Virginia Creeper (plus some herbaceous vine I don't know what it is) get the full Alpha Strike of Round-Up. The kids and Mrs. NBP are all super sensitve to PI. I'm not.

Benadryl will help. One thing we did when the kids were small was bathe the affected skin area in a weak salt water solution. It stings a bit but the PI goes away.

Since I'm not sensitive I can get away with hand pulling and cutting the vines (they don't live long enough, usually, to get into my trees, although I did find some tucked away in a corner the other day).

Now if I just didn't have reaction to other allergens I'd be happy.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rygo View Post
Here's a great bit of info to attack poison ivy rash and for some cure it completely...
It's excerpted from Bulkherbstore.com, I have great respect for them and found much great info on their site.
In more recent times, Plantain has been acclaimed for its ability to relieve bee stings, insect and spider bites, and rashes from an unfortunate encounter with Poison Ivy or Stinging Nettles. Dr. Christopher referred to Plantain, along with Jewelweed, and Hound's Tongue as 'Nature's erasers.' "Stand anywhere within sight of Poison Ivy, and look about," he said. "You will always see at least one of these plants, placed by the hand of God to come to your aid, if you should need it." Contemporary research has confirmed the anti-inflammatory properties of Plantain, and has discovered elements that protect the body against tumors and help resist damage to the liver from chemotherapy drugs. The fiber and mucilage from the seeds of the Plantago species have gained prominence as the primary fiber supplement of choice for millions of people around the world.
Very interesting, thanks for posting this information, I'd not heard about this.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,745 times
Default different physiologies different results?

Hello all,
Well, I think everyone would have to agree that different people experience different results when taking any given pharmaceutical drug. I.e. different physiologies = different results. So to any forum readers, please don't forget that and don't dismiss anybody's results, if you haven't found something that works for you, keep trying.
Interestingly, several days after posting to this site I got another case of poison ivy or oak (my last case was in 1997). I was visiting friends and my buddies wife told me to apply hot water (like the previous post had said, which I hadn't read).
I took a shower and sprayed the hottest water I could take over my skin for perhaps 5 minutes (until relief was happening).
For me, this was incredible, nearly a miracle compared to my 1997 event which was pure torture that lasted 6 months! (NO JOKE - I was misdiagnosed by a dermatologist!, and I think I kept spreading the oil since I didn't know what it was and didn't wash my sheets soon and hiking clothes, etc.)
What I want to emphasize is that the hot water application took away my itching for at least a couple hours, allowing me to forget I had it and sleep! No exaggeration, I had never experienced any relief from ANY kinds of itching before, and this gave COMPLETE relief, as if it wasn't there, for a couple hours minimum. In addition, my rash healed extremely quickly!
I believe the hot water brought the t-cells to work quickly, causing them to quickly beat the poison ivy, but don't know if that's correct.
I had wanted to try the plantain, jewelweed, etc. that I mentioned in the previous post, but I didn't have any around, and found such a "miracle" cure in the hot water that I was totally satisfied with that.
Hope that helps... I really want people to hear about this because if any others go through intense torture from poison ivy like I do, this can bring amazing relief (and you can keep repeating it throughout the day).
Ryan

Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
I am now prepared should I happen to suffer from another case of PI - I bought the Burts Bee PI Soap (best price was at Ingles, less than $6) and I have some other PI stuff I bought "just in case." I pray I don't have to EVER go through that again, but better safe than being more sorry than I could be with nothing lying around.

A pharmacist told me about something called DOMBRO as well.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I get poison ivy throughout the year and found a scrub called Tecnu Extreme for Poison Ivy at the new Walmart in Easley in the first aid/poison ivy aisle. I firstused it on my arms that were in really bad shape and the scrub provided instant relief from the itching and after a second application, the rash started clearing up.

I think I have a new batch coming on from pulling weeds Sunday & just used it again on all my "starting to get itchy" areas, hope it prevents it from breaking out altogether. Very pleased with this product so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area