U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM

8,569 posts, read 8,912,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
It all depends on what you want and are willing to trade off. Atlanta is much much larger, 6m+ in the metro v. Greenville in the 1m range +/- depending on what you are counting as part of Greenville. With the size, Atlanta has just about anything you want, world class shopping & restaurants, pro sports teams, major college sports, the opportunity to find jobs in many industries, mass transit options, entertainment, the worlds busiest airport etc.....But, that is not for everyone. Along with that comes travel times which also depends on proximity to your job and schools. Greenville is a nice place but, if you are just looking for amenities or things to do, there is no comparison...and it is not close. If you want a simplier lifestyle without a lot of the big city amenities, Greenville is not bad.
Say what? The "city" of Greenville, doesn't even have 75,000 people. I think it is more like 55,000. I know it is way less than Charleston and Columbia which are barely around 100,000 or so each. Maybe the whole northern quarter or third of the state has 1,000,000 people.

That said, especially in bad economic times with worsening crime rates as was implied earlier, smaller more rural areas like Greenville would be safer and it is close enough to Atlanta and Charlotte so for access to big city amenities for shopping or other reasons, you can always take a day trip to Atlanta for the excitement of the big city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 PM

344 posts, read 422,337 times
According to the US Census Bureau, Greenville County had a population of more than 450,000 in 2010- I think the "city" of Greenville statistics are misleading since there are so many towns/cities that make up Greenville County (Mauldin, Simpsonville, Greer, Taylors, etc).

Greenville County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 PM

212 posts, read 232,942 times
Thanks everyone! So if you had to rate each "area" for the best place to live (Schools, desirable neighborhoods, shopping, things to do, cleanliness), what would you personally rate them from #1 and up... greer, simpsonville, taylors, mauldin, etc...?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,438,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Say what? The "city" of Greenville, doesn't even have 75,000 people. I think it is more like 55,000. I know it is way less than Charleston and Columbia which are barely around 100,000 or so each. Maybe the whole northern quarter or third of the state has 1,000,000 people.

That said, especially in bad economic times with worsening crime rates as was implied earlier, smaller more rural areas like Greenville would be safer and it is close enough to Atlanta and Charlotte so for access to big city amenities for shopping or other reasons, you can always take a day trip to Atlanta for the excitement of the big city.
That's only in 26.1 square miles, you've been misled because of tough annexation laws in sc. Greenville is hurt by it more than any other sc city. Greenville's true size is around 300k.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 PM

344 posts, read 422,337 times
I like Greer (the area closer to Pelham and Batesville Rd), then the Five Forks area of Simpsonville, and then the area of Mauldin that is closer in to Greenville (Butler Rd, Holland Rd, etc). If I had to choose a place other than where we live now, I would choose somewhere off of Pelham Rd, Hwy 14 (Spaulding Farm is a nice neighborhood that comes to mind), or Roper Mountain Rd- I think those areas may have Greenville addresses, but I'm not sure. The good thing about the whole Greenville area is that you can live in a lot of different of places, and still be within 15-20 minutes of anywhere you want to go in the area. Downtown Greenville is amazing- an awesome park (Falls Park) right downtown, GREAT restaurant choices, coffee bars, entertainment, great festivals, a beautiful baseball stadium, etc. Greer has a great downtown, too- our kids' favorite homemade ice cream place is there, and they have outdoor movies for the family in the summertime, and good restaurant choices as well. Simpsonville has Heritage Park- it's a really nice park complex that has the Freedom Weekend Aloft festival on Memorial Day Weekend, among other events throughout the year. There are public waterparks in different areas of Greenville, too.

Before the Greenville Drive Stadium opened downtown, we used to go to 1 or 2 Atlanta Braves games every year. But now, our family has so much more fun going to the Drive games, and we spend A LOT less money. Yes, Atlanta is bigger, but for a family you just can't beat Greenville. You're never lacking something to do. The traffic in Atlanta is what turns me off the most, I think- you get anywhere near Atlanta, and it's a nightmare. But, we have family members on my husband's side that really like the Atlanta area. It's all what you prefer.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 AM

46 posts, read 39,712 times
I would look into the powdersville/easley area. The section is anderson sc 1 schools. Wren High School won 2011 Palmetto's Finest Award and has made it to finals in the last 3 yrs for it. This is for the best h/s in SC. Our kids are in the Wren district and I can't be happier.
Easley has a small downtown area. However from pville you are approx 15 minutes from the great downtown gville. Pville area has many homes with acreage. I am about 20 minutes to anderson for the mall/major shopping and then about the same to woodruff rd for great stores too. We have pennys, Belk, walmart, home depot, Lowes and a new Kohls to come within 10 minutes.
We moved here 3 yrs ago and love it. Going to Atlanta many times I would say this area is prefered.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:56 AM

5,402 posts, read 6,053,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Say what? The "city" of Greenville, doesn't even have 75,000 people. I think it is more like 55,000. I know it is way less than Charleston and Columbia which are barely around 100,000 or so each. Maybe the whole northern quarter or third of the state has 1,000,000 people
As has been stated in this forum ad nausem, Greenville's deceptively small city population is a result of SC's strange annexation laws.

The Combined Statistical Area's (basically the entire "Upstate") 2009 estimate was 1,264,930. Greenville is most certainly the epicenter of that.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,208,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post
My husband has 2 job offers, one in Greenville, Sc and one in Atlanta. We have not been to either place but the jobs are both great advancements from where he is now. So we are contemplating on relocating from Columbus, Ohio. We have been wanting to move for a while now. Tired of the snow and long grey dreary months. Anyways, I have a couple of questions. I have already browsed the postings on here now, but some things are not clear to me.

1. What areas are "considered" the nicer towns/suburbs of the Greenville area?
-for TOP ranked school districts
-historic districts and/or (tree lined streets)
- good shopping & restaurants & coffee shops
- lower crime/friendly

2. I am really looking for a traditional home with LOTS of trees and character in the town/neighborhoods (Homes in the $300's-$400's). What areas of atlanta have these type of traditional 2 story homes that are not all new cookie cutters?

3. ***IF*** you personally know both places (atlanta and greenville) from experience, which city would you recommend relocating to and WHY? Try to be non biased.

Thanks for your time.
I lived in Greenville for a number of years and in that time frequently visited Atlanta.

The saying "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst " comes to mind here. Both areas will offer your family good schools, homes in the $300-$400 price range and nice neighborhoods. As far as restaurants & shopping.....Atlanta has Greenville beat. However when it comes to diversity of job market Atlanta beats Greenville. I understand that your husband can choose either Atlanta or Greenville for his new job. However with the current economic condition that the US is in no one is guaranteed to keep their job forever and never know what can happen with these companies. If your husband is ever laid off would be a wiser decision to live in Atlanta, this way if the unexpected ever happens you will be living in a city that has been established a lot longer than Greenville and has a much more diverse job market. No one likes to consider the what if, but it is better to think about both the good things as well as the bad. Gone are the days when lay offs hardly ever happen and people retire from the company they started with!

When I transferred to SC from NYC I had the same opportunity. The company's Atlanta office contacted me first about a position and then the SC office contacted me about a position. I made the mistake of choosing SC over Atlanta. Also keep in mind that you asked this question in the Greenville forum therefore you are not going to receive an un-biased view.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:31 AM

5,409 posts, read 9,467,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escsoccermom View Post
I would look into the powdersville/easley area. The section is anderson sc 1 schools. Wren High School won 2011 Palmetto's Finest Award and has made it to finals in the last 3 yrs for it. This is for the best h/s in SC. Our kids are in the Wren district and I can't be happier.
Easley has a small downtown area. However from pville you are approx 15 minutes from the great downtown gville. Pville area has many homes with acreage. I am about 20 minutes to anderson for the mall/major shopping and then about the same to woodruff rd for great stores too. We have pennys, Belk, walmart, home depot, Lowes and a new Kohls to come within 10 minutes.
We moved here 3 yrs ago and love it. Going to Atlanta many times I would say this area is prefered.
I agree with this post. If you have the money and are fortunate to purchase one of very few remaining lots for sale, then I would recommend The River Reserve. Most Upstate dwellers have no idea how wealthy that neighborhood is. Anderson District 1 is a very good place by SC standards and the location is very difficult to beat, unless you prefer living closer to the mountains.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:58 PM

73 posts, read 110,534 times
the cities don't set up very well for any logical and fair comparison..really they don't ! it's apples and oranges

you can live in a multitude of suburban areas of ATL and have the amenities of ATL which are HUGE !

My thought is to choose where you can make the most money, and provide future visibility for the next 'move' (same company or different company...your visibility is greater in ATL no doubt)

both states have the Dixie Battle flag incorporated in their state flags as well....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area