Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

I'm here now. (Greenville) We got in yesterday afternoon. So far we've been downtown, Taylors and Greer.

Here is my intake so far:

Downtown: It's a nice place to walk around, tons of restaurants, some bars and stores. The streets are very well groomed and the trees are awesome. We like that there are benches all over. We went to the Saturday market also. Seems like there is something always going on like last night by the Hyatt. We grabbed a bite to eat at Grill 33. Reedy park is very nice too. We didn't get down by the water yet but will.

Taylors: (Wade Hampton) Not much there. It is in the middle of downtown and Greer.

Greer: Wade Hampton has basically everything you need for day to day needs. Lots of thrift stores which my son and I like. Otherwise, not much going on there. Downtown Greer had some shops, restaurants and bars. It was small but still seemed decent. They keep it neat. The park at city hall is beautiful as well.

As far as houses in Greer , there are nice older homes on side streets, not cookie cutter for the most part. Downtown Greer seems a little far from Wade Hampton even though it probably was only 3-4 miles. Greer seemed a little far from dt Gville to me but my hubby didn't think it was far at all. Tonight we are going to take I 85, I heard it's alot quicker than going down Wade Hampton.

Next 2 areas I want to check out are Woodruff in Greenville and Simpsonville.

Overall, I like downtown Gville. I'd like to go out on a Friday or Saturday night to see the crowd. I'd also would like to see the entertainment. (bands) I still can't find much

As for Greer, it's OK but it really didn't WOW me. I think it's too spread out for my liking. I maybe bored there as well. There were a couple bars around but didn't seem to have much going on. Maybe different at night?? I called around but only a few had a DJ and one has bands but not really my kind of music. I'm not one to just go to a bar to drink. For 6 weeks in the summer, they have some motown type bands at the park which is acceptable.

My husband REALLY likes it here. He likes the setup of the area. He likes how things are spread out but not to far away from day to day things. He's talking about renting here to check it out further.

I want to explore more and then give my final thoughts. The only thing I find lacking so far is bars with classic rock bands or DJ's which we like to see on occasion. (boring) The weekend things in Gville look fun.

The weather compared to FL is much better. Even though it's hot, it's not as humid. We were able to sit by the pool today.

I will add to this as we explore more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:34 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Thanks for the report! Will be down there next month if I can find a place to live. Have fun!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM

212 posts, read 492,467 times
I'm looking forward to hearing all of the details. Did you drive around the neighborhoods closer to downtown? I heard there were some nice ones. Would also like to hear about mauldin and simpsonville.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing all of the details. Did you drive around the neighborhoods closer to downtown? I heard there were some nice ones. Would also like to hear about mauldin and simpsonville.
We wandered around there and there are some nice neighborhoods downtown. The thing we found out was that most roads lead downtown.

We are going to Simpsonville in the next day or so and I will give an update.

I'm trying to find an area that isn't so spread out and close to downtown. Greer had everything on Wade Hampton which was perfect. It just seemed the houses were a little far from it. There maybe shortcuts that I don't know though. When we went back for the fireworks, we took Brushy Creek Rd and there were some nice, average homes there.

1+1=5 Good luck in your search.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 PM

123 posts, read 437,370 times
Thanks for the report! I hope you're having a good time. I don't know if it's on your agenda or not but if you happen through the Easley, Powdersville, Anderson area I would love to hear your thoughts. Good luck and have a safe trip!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 PM

83 posts, read 154,918 times
You should look into the Handlebar on Stone Avenue as a smaller concert venue!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 PM

6 posts, read 12,096 times
My husband and I are hoping to head to Easley/Powdersville sometime after the new year. I definitely look forward to hearing if you're going to check out those areas as well!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:54 AM

58 posts, read 96,122 times
My family, and I, moved here last summer. We live in Taylors in a very nice, but modest, neighborhood (subdivision) not far from Brushy Creek. There is, in my opinion, more to Taylors than meets the eye and there is also, in my opinion, more to Taylors than Wade Hampton. We get around fairly well (especially to downtown Greenville and even into Greer), and most, if not all, of our needs are met, without having to venture out on to WH. But WH, in Taylors, does have shopping, bowling, restaurants, etc. None of it is sitting on top of each other, though, as far as I have noticed, so maybe that is why it looks like there is not much there *shrugs*

Enjoy your visit! Maybe you will find something that does appeal to you.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:25 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
After visiting the area for the last 5 years, we finally spent an afternoon in Greer. They certainly are trying; I'm just not sure if it's really working quite yet. We ate at a Cuban restaurant (Riveras) that was very good, and we sat outside to watch what little pedestrian traffic there was on a Wednesday. A little after noon, there was a decent lunch crowd, but that was about it. We checked out Acme General Store, which is cute but has a long way to go. It looks like they are going to expand there outdoors equipment soon. I hope that these smaller towns enjoy some of the success that Greenville has. With the economy still weak, it's a tough job trying to keep these fledgling businesses alive. We too were at the Farmers Market yesterday, and there was a big crowd. Quite frankly, we got better deals at the much smaller Travelers Rest market, which was about 90% fresh produce. If you're after fresh produce at bargain prices, that's the one to go to.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:30 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm here now. (Greenville) We got in yesterday afternoon. So far we've been downtown, Taylors and Greer.

Here is my intake so far:

Greer: Wade Hampton has basically everything you need for day to day needs. Lots of thrift stores which my son and I like. Otherwise, not much going on there. Downtown Greer had some shops, restaurants and bars. It was small but still seemed decent. They keep it neat. The park at city hall is beautiful as well.

As far as houses in Greer , there are nice older homes on side streets, not cookie cutter for the most part. Downtown Greer seems a little far from Wade Hampton even though it probably was only 3-4 miles. Greer seemed a little far from dt Gville to me but my hubby didn't think it was far at all. Tonight we are going to take I 85, I heard it's alot quicker than going down Wade Hampton.

As for Greer, it's OK but it really didn't WOW me. I think it's too spread out for my liking. I maybe bored there as well. There were a couple bars around but didn't seem to have much going on. Maybe different at night?? I called around but only a few had a DJ and one has bands but not really my kisnd of music. I'm not one to just go to a bar to drink. For 6 weeks in the summer, they have some motown type bands at the park which is acceptable.

The weather compared to FL is much better. Even though it's hot, it's not as humid. We were able to sit by the pool today.
Having recently moved to Greer (as many know), but not after a LOT of research and over a year of looking at homes in Greenville County (coming up from Florida every few months) we narrowed our choices to Greer & Taylors, or areas near those lines, we chose Greer, not only because the house we bought was there, but due to the location. No, there's nothing going on along WH, it's totally commercial, so you won't see much going on other than maybe the cow waving at you from the Chick-fil-a across from Lowes!

Beckycat, did you see me waving as you drove down WH to go to Greer?

What I found within Greer was that you could live in what seemed to be in the country, i.e. far from all the commercial areas, but yet, within a couple minutes, or a mile (or less), you could be at WH. For us, to get to DT Greenville it takes us about 15 minutes, about 10-11 miles. That is NOT far, nor is it a long haul. Also, with the lack of traffic around here, you aren't sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic like you would be in a larger city. Even with WH being a main road, I've driven during "rush hour" as if it were any other time of the day.

Also, being where we are, Haywood Mall and Westgate Mall in Spartanburg, while different in miles, (just realized) are the same amount of time to drive to, so I'm smack in the middle of having both options to go to.

DT Greer is VERY close to WH. My home is 2 1/2 miles from Trade St. From the corner of WH and Hwy 14 it's only 1.1 mile to get to Trade St. I agree, DT Greer doesn't have much to offer, I don't think people that know DT go there unless they are a) don't know there's not much there, b) going out to eat or c) there's an event. It's a pretty little DT area, and there is one cute shop I found I like (and bought from) and I truly wish they could get more shops than restaurants down there and in time, they'll be able to make it a little more shopper friendly. Time will tell. I pesonally enjoy going to DT Hendersonville to walk around and go in to the little unusual shops. White DT Greer is no where as big as DT Hendersovnille, they could bring more retail like they have there, that would be nice.

Taking 85 to get to DT Greenville from DT Greer would have been a longer time/drive. WH is definitely faster.

I agree, there is NOTHING that I've found that will WOW you in Greer. I do believe that what you are looking for is within close range though. Not everything can be in your "backyard" and that's okay with us. If we were movie goers we would have to drive a bit to get to a theater. They're places out there, just not close by. Just how many times you are use to going out at night to listen to bands, I guess would make a difference, but I wouldn't base my place of residence around that - have car, will travel. So even if there isn't a place right in Greer, I'm sure wherever there was something going on within Greenville County, it surely isn't that far of a drive.

What I believe is more important when looking to move to a particular area is a nice home in a good stable, safe neighborhood, with good neighbors. Since you mentioned a son, a home that's in a good school area.

When looking for a home we had our wants and what we didn't want. Being close to restaurants/bars, movies or malls, or good schools were not a consideration for us, were not of importance to us. What was important to us, luckily, I was able to find, for the most part. Can't have it all, and found we needed to be more flexible on our wants/needs. It took some time, and we are still tweaking things in the home, but I believe we made a good choice for us. My DH works on Woodruff Rd and it's 3 turns for him to get to work from home. While it's about 20-25 minute drive, he really enjoys the drive, at least he does now, not sure how he'll handle his first driving experience in ice/snow at 4am in the morning!

I agree, it's hot here, but not anywhere as humid as SOFLA. We were in DT Greer last night and I thought it was beautiful out. You wouldn't catch me out on the 4th in Miami, between the heat and humidity, and probably the mosquitos, if I'm out, it's only for a minute or two - it was really nice to have the opportunity to really enjoy being out in July and not be dying of the heat, or being eaten alive by mosquitos!

I'm sure, if you and your DH decide upon the Greenville area, you'll find a place that's right for you. Write what you want, and don't want. What's important to you and what's not as important. What would be icing on the cake, but not a necessity that you could be fleixble with to have. Do your homework, be patient (if you can) and you will surely come to a good decision where the right place to live is for you and your family. It may be Greenville, it may not, time and research will tell.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area