Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'll believe the Kohl's when I see it. Here is the info on the project: Untitled Page
It seems Elizzza and Nightown were correct about Kohls. Found this:

Kohl's Store #11398 (Greer SC) Greenville SC -- Shopping Center/Strip Mall South Carolina Construction Project -- Construction Jobs in Greenville South Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Here's piece of trivia about how coroporate America choses a location.

Trader Joe's want a demographic of 1,000.000 population.
Other corporates want high incomes, 200,000 people within 10 miles; high business counts; near malls and major routes with easy access; and acreage to build ginormous facilities of well over 100,000 square feet.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fresh Market as a possibility.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Other corporates want high incomes, 200,000 people within 10 miles; high business counts; near malls and major routes with easy access; and acreage to build ginormous facilities of well over 100,000 square feet.

Not sure how a FM would go along WH - I would be happy to see them come to WH, but I tend to think of them as being a bit more "upscale" and I don't see that type of business much at all along WH. Just my impression, being new to the area. I would think they'd do better along a street like Pelham, again, just my impression.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Not sure how a FM would go along WH - I would be happy to see them come to WH, but I tend to think of them as being a bit more "upscale" and I don't see that type of business much at all along WH. Just my impression, being new to the area. I would think they'd do better along a street like Pelham, again, just my impression.
You'd be surprised; from what I've heard the Panera Bread; which is a higher end qsr (quick service restaurant) in the Target shopping center is the highest grossing one in the entire county (it's always packed for lunch), so upscale establishments do do well. keep in mind that in the Blue Ridge area of Greer and Taylors you have a lot of wealth. Pebble Creek, Pennington Point, Blue Ridge Estates, Castle Rock, Ridgecreek Estates are just a few subdivisions withing 10 miles of that location that have homes from $200k-550K. Not to mention 10 minutes the other way, i.e Suber Rd. and Old Spartanburg. I actually think a TJ's, WF, Earth Fare or Fresh Market would do really well here. Not to mention Old Navy, Barnes and Noble,Pier One, Marshalls, Chilis etc. WH is the second busiest road in the county after Woodruff; the demand is here. So, Kohls is officially going in the old Kmart center and Publix may be joining them? Are they gonna tear it down; they really should.

Either way, exciting news here in Greertucky.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You'd be surprised; from what I've heard the Panera Bread; which is a higher end qsr (quick service restaurant) in the Target shopping center is the highest grossing one in the entire county (it's always packed for lunch), so upscale establishments do do well. keep in mind that in the Blue Ridge area of Greer and Taylors you have a lot of wealth. Pebble Creek, Pennington Point, Blue Ridge Estates, Castle Rock, Ridgecreek Estates are just a few subdivisions withing 10 miles of that location that have homes from $200k-550K. Not to mention 10 minutes the other way, i.e Suber Rd. and Old Spartanburg. I actually think a TJ's, WF, Earth Fare or Fresh Market would do really well here. Not to mention Old Navy, Barnes and Noble,Pier One, Marshalls, Chilis etc. WH is the second busiest road in the county after Woodruff; the demand is here. So, Kohls is officially going in the old Kmart center and Publix may be joining them? Are they gonna tear it down; they really should.

Either way, exciting news here in Greertucky.
Not sure where (or if) a Publix will be built there, or anywhere along WH, a rumor I was told, but haven't found any info to substantiate that claim.

I totally agree on the TJ's, Earth Fair, WF, Marshalls, B&N - of course, that's my personal preference, the others I don't really bother with shopping at.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Yes they were. Good investigative work there Eldemila. You found it before I did. Bids due 7-12-11 with construction slated to start in August 2011. Project #508: EMJ Corporation (http://bids.emjcorp.com/ - broken link)

Last edited by g-man430; 07-13-2011 at 02:58 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yes they were. Good investigative work there Eldemila. You found it before I did. Bids due 7-12-11 with construction slated to start in August 2011. Project #508: EMJ Corporation (http://bids.emjcorp.com/ - broken link)
WOW! I've found missing persons before, I found lost pets too, and now, I can ad this to my list. I definitely missed my calling, Mom said I should have been a PI.

Be careful G-Man, I may just take your "job" away Now, if I could just find that infamous Publix that's rumored to be in the works....are you up for the challenge G-Man, who will find it IF it's out there, or if it becomes fact

######

How about a Tuesday Morning along WH - that would be another one I personally would like to see. Maybe an Ace Hardware? A closer Aldi's?

What about independent businesses? Most everyone has posted about national businesses. What "Mom and Pop" type businesses would be good?

How about a donut shop? Bakery? A good shoe store?? What store that you travel all the way to Woodruff to go shopping at (or elsewhere that's a good drive from Greer) would you like to see on Wade Hampton that's NOT a national or regional business?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM

121 posts, read 244,536 times
I'm new to the Greer area, so I may not know what I'm completely talking about (so correct me if I'm wrong!). But it seems if we want really good ethnic food we end up going to Greenville for sushi, Indian and Thai food. Am I missing any good Greer restaurants in those categories?

I would LOVE an alternative to the Starbucks coffeeshop. With a good environment to chat, work on my laptop, read a book, and get a great cup of coffee. Sometimes just for kicks (when I hit up Publix in Taylors, since yes - Greer NEEEEDS a Publix), I'll pop in at BiGranni's for a coffee.

Last edited by Elizzza; 07-13-2011 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: missing info

Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizzza View Post
I'm new to the Greer area, so I may not know what I'm completely talking about (so correct me if I'm wrong!). But it seems if we want really good ethnic food we end up going to Greenville for sushi, Indian and Thai food. Am I missing any good Greer restaurants in those categories?

I would LOVE an alternative to the Starbucks coffeeshop. With a good environment to chat, work on my laptop, read a book, and get a great cup of coffee. Sometimes just for kicks (when I hit up Publix in Taylors, since yes - Greer NEEEEDS a Publix), I'll pop in at BiGranni's for a coffee.
New to the area as well. I really haven't discovered much "ethnic" food. Here, Mexican restaurants prevail as Cuban restaurants do in Miami. We do go to Rolled Pita Lebanese on WH, which is about the closet "ethnic" food from our home that we go to. Also like Cafe Paulista on WH. Our choice for Mexican, while not what I consider "authentic" Mexican is Papas and Beer on Haywood, so that one doesn't go under the "in Greer" category. I've gone to Rivera's which is suppose to be Cuban but it's not like the Cuban restaurants back where I came from.

As for SBux, well...normally that's the only place I go for coffee due to "perks" (no pun intended) that I get there, otherwise, I really don't go elsewhere, with the exception of buying a Groupon to "Spill the Beans" downtown just to have a place to take someone downtown when they come in that's "different" than SBux. It's a bit of a drive to Spill the Beans, but I think you would find it comfortable and what you are looking for. Can't tell you about any of the other coffee places around. If you ever go up to Hendersonville (no Sbux except in an Ingles) there's a coffee shop on Main St that's nice as well.

For another kick, hit the Publix on the Pkwy in Greer - it's nicer than the one in Taylors, I think.

Last edited by Eldemila; 07-13-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
about having a Trader Joes out here, I've said it more times than I know. There's also the site I mentioned on WH near Memorial which the exterior of a bldg was done but nothing else, just the walls - that would be a good place for a Trader Joes.
That structure is deficient. Going several years without occupancy, completion, or maintenance causes structural issues. The medical redevelopment of the former Allen Bennett Hospital may spur attention to the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area