Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
That makes ZERO sense. There's one right down the road in Taylors.
Aldi having a store in Taylors and not one in Greer makes zero sense to you? Taylors with the Wade Hampton area support their own Aldi. Greer has the population and demographics to support its own Aldi. People are smart not to drive out of their way some distance to shop at Aldi if they want things of value.

Would it be zero sense for Sam's Club to open a store in Greer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Aldi having a store in Taylors and not one in Greer makes zero sense to you? Taylors with the Wade Hampton area support their own Aldi. Greer has the population and demographics to support its own Aldi. People are smart not to drive out of their way some distance to shop at Aldi if they want things of value.

Would it be zero sense for Sam's Club to open a store in Greer?
No, because there's not one 5 minutes down the road in Taylors. I'm not getting what you're not getting.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No, because there's not one 5 minutes down the road in Taylors. I'm not getting what you're not getting.
I initially posted the thought about wanting to see an Aldi in Greer. You replied it would make zero sense for Aldi to open in Greer because they have an existing store in Taylors. I replied that Greer has the population and demographics to support an Aldi of its own just as the Taylors and Wade Hampton areas support their own.

I assume you are saying people from Greer can drive a short distance to shop at Aldi in Taylors and Greer does not need an Aldi.

As for Sam's Club in Greer, with Walmart Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets infilling in areas, could one be supported in the area?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I initially posted the thought about wanting to see an Aldi in Greer. You replied it would make zero sense for Aldi to open in Greer because they have an existing store in Taylors. I replied that Greer has the population and demographics to support an Aldi of its own just as the Taylors and Wade Hampton areas support their own.

I assume you are saying people from Greer can drive a short distance to shop at Aldi in Taylors and Greer does not need an Aldi.

As for Sam's Club in Greer, with Walmart Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets infilling in areas, could one be supported in the area?
Yes, I think the Greer, Taylors, Blue Ridge area could support a wholesale club store, i.e Sams or Costco on Wade Hampton.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,622 times
A friend of mine will be starting work with Aldi's in a few weeks. He said Aldi is moving to open a good number of stores in the area. Maybe Greer is one of them? Again, not much in detail as we spoke in passing at church but he left a store manager position from another company to move to Aldi.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
What I noticed while we were here the past week was that there really aren't any diner, privately owned, mom and pop restaurants along Wade Hampton. We drove down WH trying to find one of these places for lunch with no luck. We did go to downtown Greer and found a cafe and the food was awesome. I'd like to see some privately owned restaurants on WH. There weren't many chain restaurants either. (Olive Garden, TGIF, etc) OTOH, there was every fast food place imaginable.

Oh and if anyone can recommend any, it would be great.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,622 times
beckycat - as your headed down WH towards Greer then turn left on St. Marks Road. At the end of St. Marks (corner of St. Marks and 290) you'll see a small restaurant/bakery on the right called - Flour Haven. It's a locally owned bakery/restaurant and they have some of the best caramel rolls and donuts around. I've not eaten lunch there but their breakfast is fantastic.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:30 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
beckycat - as your headed down WH towards Greer then turn left on St. Marks Road. At the end of St. Marks (corner of St. Marks and 290) you'll see a small restaurant/bakery on the right called - Flour Haven. It's a locally owned bakery/restaurant and they have some of the best caramel rolls and donuts around. I've not eaten lunch there but their breakfast is fantastic.
Thanks, I'll have to try it.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What I noticed while we were here the past week was that there really aren't any diner, privately owned, mom and pop restaurants along Wade Hampton. We drove down WH trying to find one of these places for lunch with no luck. We did go to downtown Greer and found a cafe and the food was awesome. I'd like to see some privately owned restaurants on WH. There weren't many chain restaurants either. (Olive Garden, TGIF, etc) OTOH, there was every fast food place imaginable.

Oh and if anyone can recommend any, it would be great.
A few locally owned/operated restaurants along Wade Hampton Boulevard:

The Open Hearth - evening only
Pho 99 - Vietnamese
Mekong Restaurant - Vietnamese
Clock Drive-In
Silver Screen Café
Dixie Family Restaurant (Drive-in)
Cateran's
The Owl
Haus Edelweiss - German

If you don't mind a slight detour, there are a few other options close to Wade Hampton Blvd., including Pizza City, Tanoshi Sushi Pub, and The Chocolate Shoppe (delicious cookies).

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Can someone please tell me what type of food this "Clock" place sells?

I just moved here and saw 2 of these places and they seem very weird. A restaurant named after a clock, very nondescript exterior, and no sign in sight offering any clues whatsoever as to what type of food is inside. Just a green building with windows and..."The Clock." Seems like the strangest name and marketing for a food place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area