Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,256,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
They say a picture is worth a thousand words! And I have more than one picture of the lines coming out of the Greenville unemployment office. People are not just there because they have nothing else better to do with their time you know.

South Carolina voters torn between values, economy
And you think that only exist here? Give it a rest, and stop embarrassing yourself sista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Do you focus on the negatives up there where you are?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,450,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is the unemployment office today on Pendleton. 3:30pm. Now give it a rest and find something better to do. The key is education and being skilled.
Ha! Love it!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words! And I have more than one picture of the lines coming out of the Greenville unemployment office. People are not just there because they have nothing else better to do with their time you know.

South Carolina voters torn between values, economy
No offense, but wth would you want to take a bunch of pictures of people in line. This is strange behavior. Most people are too busy living life to take more than one picture of the same thing. That's time you could use to prepare for something more important, like obtaining a skill in addition to the one you already have.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,660,179 times
I drive by the unemployment office everyday on the way to work. While it used to have lines like NYBorn's pic show, it hasn't even been close to that the last few months.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,586,951 times
The rest of SC is definitely having unemployment issues but people that go around claiming Greenville has severe unemployment problems or that finding a job here is impossible or you can only find a job paying minimum wage are full of some thick brown material and probably don't even live here *cough*.[/quote]

First, it depends on what type of position you are looking to get as to whether Greenville or other parts of SC are having issues. Other parts of SC have similar unemployment figures and are creating jobs. It is simply not true to imply that Greenville is the only place in SC to get a job.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 PM

123 posts, read 436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is the unemployment office today on Pendleton. 3:30pm. Now give it a rest and find something better to do. The key is education and being skilled.
AND having a likable personality. No one wants to hire a rude jerk that complains all the time.

My husband is applying for jobs in SC right now. We can't believe how many opportunities there are in his field. There are opportunities out there, you just have to pursue them. You can't just sit on your butt, collect a welfare check and expect a job to magically appear on your doorstep.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
AND having a likable personality. No one wants to hire a rude jerk that complains all the time.

My husband is applying for jobs in SC right now. We can't believe how many opportunities there are in his field. There are opportunities out there, you just have to pursue them. You can't just sit on your butt, collect a welfare check and expect a job to magically appear on your doorstep.
I agree! Personality goes a long way. You can't be a pessimist.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 AM

506 posts, read 1,216,213 times
I like how my entire point to NYB was about Greenville statistics and that nobody was arguing that SC's unemployment was high, which she conveniently ignored and started talking about SC instead of Greenville. Also NYB, in case you don't know what a fact is - I provided you actual statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, what you provided was a useless picture from 2009 that (even in 2009) had/has no bearing on unemployment. You can't argue against actual proven statistics with a picture, sorry. If you want to try to make a counter claim then provide actual facts.

A city could have an unemployment rate of 1% and still have lines out the door at the unemployment office if everyone decided to go on that day, or for a thousand other reasons (job fair, a huge company recently went out of business, etc).

I'm sure by now, everyone here wants to know why you seem to hang out in this forum only to try to convince people not to move to Greenville. If you actually did own property here you would want people to move here since it would raise your property value. It's rather silly that you even have enough time to spend here just bashing Greenville all day. Are you unemployed? (Boy that would be rich)

Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,900,791 times
Quote:
I don't just go by news articles or hearsay....I actually took a look at the Greenville unemployment office for myself to see how many people were there. People lie....pictures do not lie!
If you go anywhere in the country, you'll see that unemployment lines are long ... unemployment continues to be high nationwide. And if you asked most of those people in line in Greenville what kind of work experience and education they have, I'll wager most of the time the answer will be: I've worked low skilled jobs and I don't have much education. Pictures do indeed lie ... without backing information about the people in them, they can mean most anything you want.

I'm interested in this topic by the way because I plan on moving back to somewhere in the Carolinas in a few years, Greenville's on my short list, and your unemployment line picture isn't going to deter me. Howdy, neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area