Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times

Advertisements

ugh, ok, I will word it different. there is nothing being imposed on a nonsmoker. this is a decision that is being imposed on business owners. a few people in the government are making a final decision for thousands of business owners. I don't believe in a one size fits all society. I think that business owners are responsible enough to make their own decision. like I said, as a nonsmoker, you already had plenty of options for places to eat. actually, if I was a smoker, I would start dipping at the table at these restaurants. the people didn't like the say my smoke smelled, now people can sit and watch me spit in a cup while they eat. but that is just me. I like nonviolent protest!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Unfortunately there are smokers that think this way. You must be a real joy to be around. What do you do when someone has asthma, light up and blow the smoke in their face. That is why many states had to enact smoking bans in restaurants and such because of these type attitudes. There obviously is more wrong than just the need to smoke in public.
Since you live in Oregon and I've never been to that state, why are you questioning my motives? If smoking is allowed I will smoke. If you don't like that...speak to your legislators...but again since you live in Oregon whatever you start probably won't affect me...I won't purposely blow smoke in someone's face but I will smoke when or wherever it is allowed whether by law or otherwise. I rarely go out to eat, rarely attend a movie, or attend other functions where smoking may be banned, so for the most part the ban doesn't affect me. It is time you got off of our backs. If you have a problem with someone blowing smoke in your face, get in theirs, but it won't be mine you'll be looking at.

What can we ban that will affect you?

Go harass people in your own state's forum!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
ugh, ok, I will word it different. there is nothing being imposed on a nonsmoker. I don't believe in a one size fits all society. I think that business owners are resp this is a decision that is being imposed on business owners. a few people in the government are making a final decision for thousands of business owners. onsible enough to make their own decision. like I said, as a nonsmoker, you already had plenty of options for places to eat. actually, if I was a smoker, I would start dipping at the table at these restaurants. the people didn't like the say my smoke smelled, now people can sit and watch me spit in a cup while they eat. but that is just me. I like nonviolent protest!
Okay, then I'll ask you the same question that I posed to ckeegan; where's the link to your post decrying the government telling restaurants that they have to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act? Or your moral outrage that the government tells restaurant owners that they must put an "employees must wash hands" sticker in the restroom? You stated that you don't like/believe that the government should tell restaurants how to run their business.

As far as a person in their own home, I'm right there with you. As much as I abhor smoking, the privacy of your own home, as long as it's legal, is just that, your privacy.

Myrc, I've gotta be honest, you come across as really angry and bitter. Basically your saying, the hell with everyone else, I'm gonna do what I want to do, the heck with you! What about the fact that you can still smoke outside the restaurant? How is that not a win/win?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
As far as a person in their own home, I'm right there with you. As much as I abhor smoking, the privacy of your own home, as long as it's legal, is just that, your privacy.

Myrc, I've gotta be honest, you come across as really angry and bitter. Basically your saying, the hell with everyone else, I'm gonna do what I want to do, the heck with you! What about the fact that you can still smoke outside the restaurant? How is that not a win/win?
I believe you are the first one to bring outside smoking up in this topic, sonrise. But you obviously didn't see, I don't eat out much...it doesn't really affect me and because I don't eat out my smoke isn't affecting you or anyone else. I don't care if you think I'm angry. Each person is entitled to their own opinion without being attacked for it.

I'm done here.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM

we agree on some things, we might not agree on others. I understand your position though. I don't really mind the americans with disabilities act. it just basically ensures that a qualified person isn't discriminated against. it is good in theory, but I ask you if it works. I can wait tables, but would I be considered for a position at hooters? I don't think so. that is discrimination. just by putting up a sign stating people must wash your hands will not make people wash their hands. the government can't make you a more hygienic person. the health inspector puts the scores up that the place scored in cleanliness. I like it because it helps me make a consumer decision. if a place scores low, I don't eat there. if they always get high marks, I go there a lot. I like it when the consumer makes the decision. I have no problem on bans on smoking in bars and restaurants enforced by the establishment itself. I just don't like city-wide bans. I would rather the peoples voice be heard, rather than a couple of people in the government.

you seem to agree with me that people should be able to smoke in their own home. that is why the lawsuit in that NY apartment complex concerns me. my question is when will it stop? if you want to make cigarettes illegal, then get on with it. if not, get over it. it seems to me like a situation like, I give you an inch and you take a mile. I think we are going to be seeing many more bans. I already mentioned the ban on trans fat in NY. it's ridiculous.

Quote:
Okay, then I'll ask you the same question that I posed to ckeegan; where's the link to your post decrying the government telling restaurants that they have to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act? Or your moral outrage that the government tells restaurant owners that they must put an "employees must wash hands" sticker in the restroom? You stated that you don't like/believe that the government should tell restaurants how to run their business.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Before the original ban, outside of McDonald's and a few other fast food restaurants, I only knew of one restaurant that was no smoking. If there were more, they didn't make it well known. After the ban many remained no smoking and a few outside the city limits either opened no smoking or changed to no smoking. Why? Because they realized this is what customers wanted.

As far as bars go, I'd be willing to let bars (and they would have to be bars only no food served and not in a hotel and have a vestibule area to prevent smoke from filtering out to the street) to allow smoking, however, if they had entertainment other than tv sets that no smoking would be allowed.
First of all, you obviously didn't get out much, because plenty of restaurants CHOSE to be non-smoking long before the city ban. To this day, plenty of restaurants in Greenville County CHOOSE to be non-smoking without a ban in the county. As for your willingness to let bars be smoking establishments, this is what cracks me up. All of the people in agreement with the smoking ban, are so, as long as it is banned for places where they plan to go. Comments like this simply show how stupid America has become. It's kind of like the guy who sues the store because he slipped in their icy parking lot, but when someone sues him because they slipped on the sidewalk in front of his house, "that's just not right!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
However, I would like to not die of a severe asthma attack or cancer. That's my right.
I guess you better start working on your ban on radon then. I can see it now: "The City of Greenville hereby bans the earth from emmiting radon gas. Thank you."

Quote:

What is with you, and the meaningless argument for an "employees must wash hands" sign and the disabilities act? Seriously, those are the only two points you ever make in your arguments.

I am still begging for someone out there to find a law that was passed that would have had the potential to have an adverse effect on the profits of a private business.

Last edited by ckeegan; 04-15-2008 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post

I am still begging for someone out there to find a law that was passed that would have had the potential to have an adverse effect on the profits of a private business.
Prohibition!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:28 PM

yeah, and how did prohibition work out? hey, a reminder to all, let's keep this friendly. the moderator has been nice enough to allow this thread to continue so let's not bicker. a debate is healthy and fun.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM

915 posts, read 2,424,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
Prohibition!
Well, kind of, but not really. Prohibition affected a lot more than private businesses, and obviously, it didn't work out too well. If they were banning the sale, manufacture, and transportation of tabacco products in the US, then your example would make sense. Sense it doesn't...try again.

PS - I'm sure someone will come out and say that they should ban tobacco, which will show the ignorance of those in favor of the ban. Some people continue to think they have the right to push their beliefs on others.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,516 times
true! That was just the only one I thought about!....Nope can't think of another! You got anything? Closest others that I can Think of are Corp. taxes and tarriffs ,but that's a whole other kettle of fish!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area