U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM

420 posts, read 455,059 times
Default Bike Racks

I think we have a lot of bicycle riders on here, so hopefully someone will be able to give some input.

I just got rid of my truck and now have a car. With the car I can't throw my bike into the back of it, so I need to get a bike rack. I'm debating between a trunk mounted rack or a tow hitch mounted rack. The hitch rack would be a lot more expensive since I don't already have a receiver, and I have read that the trunk rack can damage the body. My car also has a spoiler on the rear, so that concerns me.

What is your experience? Do I go cheaper and go with the trunk rack, or play it safe with the hitch rack? Is there a brand that you recommend? If you prefer the hitch rack, did you have someone install the receiver or bolt it on yourself? How difficult was it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM

2,049 posts, read 3,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
I think we have a lot of bicycle riders on here, so hopefully someone will be able to give some input.

I just got rid of my truck and now have a car. With the car I can't throw my bike into the back of it, so I need to get a bike rack. I'm debating between a trunk mounted rack or a tow hitch mounted rack. The hitch rack would be a lot more expensive since I don't already have a receiver, and I have read that the trunk rack can damage the body. My car also has a spoiler on the rear, so that concerns me.

What is your experience? Do I go cheaper and go with the trunk rack, or play it safe with the hitch rack? Is there a brand that you recommend? If you prefer the hitch rack, did you have someone install the receiver or bolt it on yourself? How difficult was it?

Thanks.
I used a trunk rack before I got my truck, honestly, never had an issue, but I was really careful to clean the trunk with water and cloth before applying the rack, its the dirt particles that can damage your paint, not so much the rack itself if its applied properly.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM

610 posts, read 653,548 times
We have a trunk rack that held two mountain bikes pretty well. One issue with that is that no matter how well we protected the bumper or positioned the bikes, there was one part of bumper that would always get rubbed. We haven't used on either of our newer cars, LOL.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,277,021 times
I haven't bought a hitch mount yet, but that's the direction I'm leaning.

We had a trunk mount before and the foam on it dried out over time and began scratching the paint on the trunk. I could never quite get it tight enough so that it didn't move just a little when the bikes went on. It also became a bit of a hassle to put it on and take it off all the time.

Most of the trunk mount ones are adjustable enough to get them over spoilers (unless you have something really large), but it may take several adjustments to get it worked out.

For something like a bike rack, I'd probably mount the hitch myself. I know that I've seen them on a few online sites, and for my car at least, they can be mounted in existing holes in the frame without any drilling.

I saw two carriers (one roof mount, and one hitch mount) on Craigslist this morning so that may be an option to save a few bucks.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:13 PM

2,049 posts, read 3,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
We have a trunk rack that held two mountain bikes pretty well. One issue with that is that no matter how well we protected the bumper or positioned the bikes, there was one part of bumper that would always get rubbed. We haven't used on either of our newer cars, LOL.
this is probably true with some cars, one thing you might want to do is purchase one and see the fit on the car, because they do shift around a bit while driving no matter how tight they are.

another thing I did want to mention is i'm not the type to bike every weekend, i'm more casual than that, so we didn't use ours constantly. with regular use I might have seen more wear on the trunk.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll look for a used trunk mount one for now and then get the hitch mount down the road when I have some spare bucks.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM

610 posts, read 653,548 times
Someday, I might break down and put a roof mounted rack on my WRX. I'm not ready to do that, yet.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm not tall enough to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area