Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM

121 posts, read 244,626 times

Advertisements

Really looking forward to checking this place out! Was interesting looking at some of their food creation pictures on FB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,383 times
Had a coworker go there on Friday. Said the food was pretty good but the lack of good signage is a damper for marketing for sure. They are not open for lunch though

Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Had a coworker go there on Friday. Said the food was pretty good but the lack of good signage is a damper for marketing for sure. They are not open for lunch though
I think thats kind of the point. I have heard their name mentioned by more than a few people over the past few weeks, I think they are trying to rely on work of mouth, and it seems to be working.

As far as being open for lunch the owner mentioned not too long ago on their facebook that he would consider it later down the road.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,383 times
I can understand the WoM marketing. It's cheap and can be effective. Problem is I don't think a restaurant (especially a new one) can survive on just that alone. I know signage isn't cheap but even a basic banner might draw in business they otherwise might never have found.

Too many businesses/restaurants open their doors expecting a huge rush of folks and business and have zero idea that without cash flow you won't be in business for long. Don't care how good the food is and what kind of atmosphere. No business = no cash and therefore out of business.

I see it time and time again a new business opens up and 6 months later its closed. Passion alone can't keep the doors open.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
I can understand the WoM marketing. It's cheap and can be effective. Problem is I don't think a restaurant (especially a new one) can survive on just that alone. I know signage isn't cheap but even a basic banner might draw in business they otherwise might never have found.

Too many businesses/restaurants open their doors expecting a huge rush of folks and business and have zero idea that without cash flow you won't be in business for long. Don't care how good the food is and what kind of atmosphere. No business = no cash and therefore out of business.

I see it time and time again a new business opens up and 6 months later its closed. Passion alone can't keep the doors open.
I don't think its money that is keeping them from having a sign, there is a big owl out front, thats the name of the restaurant. I'm sure if they wanted a giant sign with their name on it they would put one up.

Edit: apparently the City of Greenville is making them take the Owl down, I guess the signage along the road has to be uniform or something? Anyway, they are going to add another sign to the building apparently

Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 6,034 times
This restaurant is amazing it's a must try. They also have a kick butt mixologist! He will make you drinks that will make your head spin (not from being tipsy) :-p Got to try the Dark and Stormy and the Margarita, be warned though this is not a classic margarita go in and see what I mean by that.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba323 View Post
This restaurant is amazing it's a must try. They also have a kick butt mixologist! He will make you drinks that will make your head spin (not from being tipsy) :-p Got to try the Dark and Stormy and the Margarita, be warned though this is not a classic margarita go in and see what I mean by that.
last tiem I had a dark and stormy I was in the british virgin islands! will be visiting The Owl and trying that soon!

Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM

5 posts, read 6,034 times
He uses house made key lime bitters and house made Ginger-lime syrup, best dark and stormy I've ever had. He also told me that he is going to be making house made Ginger beer soon. Can't wait to try a dark and stormy with that!!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM

144 posts, read 295,992 times
Gave the owl a shot last night.

I think it has a shot but they really have some kinks to work out.
I understand the Indie bang on a budget casually hip thing they are striving for, but they have not quite yet perfected it.

I think one problem we had was just bad service. Actually it was more weird than bad, I mean we were absolutely laugh out loud floored by the some of the off the wall things that came out of her mouth which she was not intending to be funny. She was either having a bad night or a bad trip, but either way she was not prepared at all to explain the specials or the extensive beer list.

I loved how small and simple and ever changeable they keep the menu.
The food while beautifully prepared, proportioned and platted worked on some levels and on some levels it did not.

I think you are likely to go in their one night and get a fantastic dish and come back a week later and get something that is sub par. It is obvious that the chefs have a love for food and have a lot of fun and passion exploring it. Overall I think they need a little less hipster pretension and a little more experience before they will see this thing take off. But I have a feeling it will, nobody else is doing this yet and they will have some time to work out the kinks.

With that said, it is definitely worth the price. These are very high end plates that you will want to take a picture of. For me I thought the portions were perfect. You would have enough room left to try desert if you wanted but either way you are full without feeling disgusting. However if you love big portions you will not be happy.

I think everyone should give this a try, not sure everyone will love it but its different and well worth the time and money.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
Gave the owl a shot last night.

I think it has a shot but they really have some kinks to work out.
I understand the Indie bang on a budget casually hip thing they are striving for, but they have not quite yet perfected it.

I think one problem we had was just bad service. Actually it was more weird than bad, I mean we were absolutely laugh out loud floored by the some of the off the wall things that came out of her mouth which she was not intending to be funny. She was either having a bad night or a bad trip, but either way she was not prepared at all to explain the specials or the extensive beer list.

I loved how small and simple and ever changeable they keep the menu.
The food while beautifully prepared, proportioned and platted worked on some levels and on some levels it did not.

I think you are likely to go in their one night and get a fantastic dish and come back a week later and get something that is sub par. It is obvious that the chefs have a love for food and have a lot of fun and passion exploring it. Overall I think they need a little less hipster pretension and a little more experience before they will see this thing take off. But I have a feeling it will, nobody else is doing this yet and they will have some time to work out the kinks.

With that said, it is definitely worth the price. These are very high end plates that you will want to take a picture of. For me I thought the portions were perfect. You would have enough room left to try desert if you wanted but either way you are full without feeling disgusting. However if you love big portions you will not be happy.

I think everyone should give this a try, not sure everyone will love it but its different and well worth the time and money.
love this review, I think it explains the restaurant to a T. If you follow the owner on facebook, he is not above letting people know he is working things out as he goes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area