U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 AM

257 posts, read 514,148 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to visit some nice places with a warmer climate year round...and then eventually relocate to one from eastern Long Island where I live now....I have read so many good things about Greenville but I realize it is quite a distance from the coast...

I love to swim...so besides swimming pools is there any lakes or any body of water within half an hour or so of Greenville where people go to swim?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,230,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
I am hoping to visit some nice places with a warmer climate year round...and then eventually relocate to one from eastern Long Island where I live now....I have read so many good things about Greenville but I realize it is quite a distance from the coast...

I love to swim...so besides swimming pools is there any lakes or any body of water within half an hour or so of Greenville where people go to swim?

Thanks...
A good number....Lake Hartwell with 1,000 miles of shoreline....huge. Also Jocasse and Keowee.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 AM

257 posts, read 514,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
A good number....Lake Hartwell with 1,000 miles of shoreline....huge. Also Jocasse and Keowee.
That is so awesome and such wonderful news to me...thank you so very much!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
That is so awesome and such wonderful news to me...thank you so very much!
Jocassee is absolutely beautiful! It's entirely different from the coast, but I would take the trade once you've experienced it.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,385 times
Ah, one of my favorite subjects.

SwimmingHoles.info Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors skinny dipping

Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 PM

11,844 posts, read 26,826,542 times
What temp does the water usually stay at in the summer? Just wondering if there is ameoba up there. I hope not.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 PM

344 posts, read 712,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What temp does the water usually stay at in the summer? Just wondering if there is ameoba up there. I hope not.
I don't know exact temperatures, but in our experience, Jocassee is a good bit cooler than Hartwell even in the summer- it's a mountain lake, so I'm guessing that's why. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable. I think the temperature in Hartwell stays in the 80s in the summer (but don't quote me on that!). I'm not sure about the amoeba thing- though I have no desire to swim in any lake or river after watching those stories on the news this week! We're heading to Jocassee in October for our yearly camping trip there- I'm SO ready for fall!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Jocassee is absolutely beautiful! It's entirely different from the coast, but I would take the trade once you've experienced it.
Totally agree with this!!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:16 PM

There are also a lot of places like this within an hour of Greenville:

Long Shoals, Little Eastatoee Creek, Long Shoals Wayside Park, near Pickens, SC

There's another great "sliding rock" in Pisgah Forest near Brevard, NC- about an hour or so from Greenville, depending on where you're driving from.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM

123 posts, read 393,086 times
That amoeba thing is VERY rare. Millions of people swim in freshwater lakes every year but only 120 people have died from amoebas since 1960. You are at more of a risk on the highway driving to the lake than you are swimming in it. I don't think you all have anything to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area