Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,904,192 times

Advertisements

Does it snow there every year? If so, how often and how much? I like a small amount once or twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,564,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Does it snow there every year? If so, how often and how much? I like a small amount once or twice a year.
It's definitely not every year. When it does, it's typically not more than a few inches that are gone in a few days (at most).

This past winter was an odd specimen, as there was one decent snow event (6-8 inches some places), which lasted closer to 4-5 days or so on the ground.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM

344 posts, read 812,377 times
Most years we get snow once or twice. The past few years have been snowier than normal- we even had a white Christmas, which was a first for me and I'm in my 30s:-). Every few years we'll have a big ice storm come through, and those are no fun. I love snow, and would like to get a little more than this area normally gets, but we have had some pretty decent snowfall over the past few years.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM

344 posts, read 812,377 times
I should also add that when it does snow here, it doesn't last long- unless it's one of the odd times when we get 6+ inches. Normally we'll get an inch or two and it'll be melted by the afternoon.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,116,829 times
This was my first snow ever!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,897,451 times
If you go to the main City-Data page and navigate to Greenville, they have a nice set of climatological maps. The average January snowfall for Greenville is listed as 4" (which doesn't mean you're guaranteed 4" in any particular year; just that over the long haul it averages out to 4").

You're also really close to the mountains in Greenville, so I would guess you can always drive there on winter weekends for a "snow fix" even if Greenville is dry.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 AM

46 posts, read 71,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Hi Becky,

Here is a listing of Greenville's snowiest winters:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/...viestsnows.htm

And here is a listing of snowfall for every month of the cool season going back to 1892:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/...nthlySNobs.htm

I'm sorry it is so poorly formatted. I'm not responsible for maintaining this data, but I'll talk to the person who is. Basically an "M" for missing and a "T" for trace wrap to the left, while numbers, in inches, wrap to the right. Still, with a little squinting, you can get a feel for the frequency of snowfall in the area. The other folks did a great job explaining things, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,802,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
This was my first snow ever!
I love your photo! I can just imagine your excitement while taking the photo....being that it was your first snow.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,904,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreen(ville) View Post
Hi Becky,

Here is a listing of Greenville's snowiest winters:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/...viestsnows.htm

And here is a listing of snowfall for every month of the cool season going back to 1892:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/...nthlySNobs.htm

I'm sorry it is so poorly formatted. I'm not responsible for maintaining this data, but I'll talk to the person who is. Basically an "M" for missing and a "T" for trace wrap to the left, while numbers, in inches, wrap to the right. Still, with a little squinting, you can get a feel for the frequency of snowfall in the area. The other folks did a great job explaining things, so I'll leave it at that.
Thanks, that was helpful! Thanks for explaining it as well so I was able to understand it

Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,116,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I love your photo! I can just imagine your excitement while taking the photo....being that it was your first snow.
LOL! I called my Mom and was squealing with delite! I then made my first snowballs, one for each of my nieces, took a picture of it, and sent it to them in SOFLA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area