U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 AM

7 posts, read 8,028 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm not normally one to post on forums and such (I usually just lurk and read all the other threads to answer my questions). But lately, the decision to relocate is weighing very heavily on me, and I'm stressing out about what's best for my family. I was hoping some of you would be willing to give me some advice.

About us: We are a young family. I'm 29, DH is 31, and our only child is 5 and just started kindergarten. We've lived in rural WV all our lives, although we spent our college years in a couple of the larger towns here. I'm not currently working-- I'm a senior biology major at a university here, looking into med school or maybe research when I graduate. Hubby is the store manager for a growing retail company. I grew up here all my life, and we've lived in our current house for almost 7 yrs (we own our home).

About Our current town and why we're leaving: (Warning: Rant ahead). I'm going to be brutally honest about why we're considering a move: We are MISERABLE here. We live in a typical rural WV mountain town. It's pretty and quiet and boring. People here are shallow and uneducated, everyone is always up in everyone else's business. Seems like everyone is riding the welfare system or getting a disability check or on painkillers. Those who didn't fall prey to poverty settled into teaching or nursing or coal mining. And then there's that tiny percentage of people who became doctors or lawyers. Jobs, decent shopping, good medical care, and restaurants are scarce (I had to drive 1.5 hours to get my kid decent school clothes). The first of the month here is like a circus-- people make their monthly trek out of their mountain houses and descend upon Wal-Mart like zombies, to leave with cartsfull of junk food and prescription painkillers. It's a hopeless, depressing existence. In warmer months, this is also a major tourist area: Outdoor recreation is HUGE here and people just love the lake. In the fall, this place goes crazy with all the hippies who swarm the rivers with kayaks in tow. I truly have no idea why they like it here.... maybe they're all from large cities and like the "small town feel". Maybe the qaintness of it all draws them in from their busy lives. I have no clue. And I'll admit that if I didn't live in this podunk town, I might want to visit long enough to gawk at the simplicity of country life. I only wish I had the option to leave and go back to civilization. Cause for me and my family-- living here is excruciating.

OK rant OVER. :-)

So..... my husband got offered a promotion to work in the Greenville area. It's quite a bit more money than what he makes now (right around $45 thou annually, plus bonuses). His company pretty much guaranteed his job-- they literally just told him that if we can't sell our house before we move, they would pay a portion of our rent until we can. It's so tempting. I'm salivating over the thought of getting out of this place.

But I have some reservations-- 1, I'm worried about how culture shock might scare me. Coming from such a sheltered, small-town existence, what might be some things that would catch me off-guard about the area? I know I sound ridiculous asking this, but I think the drastic increase in population would freak me out-- I was looking on Google Earth and it looks like people just live right on top of each other (Do y'all even have yards?! Lol!). And I think my little girl might faint, actually having a choice as to where to go out to eat supper (OMG! You mean we don't have to eat Bob Evans again?!). What about traffic?-- Here you can pretty much get ANYWHERE in 15 minutes or less and there is NO traffic. Also- what about my little girl?- Do you think kids there would accept her as the "new kid" in class?- do you think they'll make fun of her for coming from WV? How about good neighborhoods for families? We are looking for around the $875-$1100/ month rental range (not interested in buying again.). I'd love to have a place where she could ride her bike or play outside without me worrying. As for me, I'd love to further my education... grad school is a definite possibility and I'm taking the MCAT this year and even looking into med school as an option (which might require another move, but we'll burn that bridge when we get there).

I know I can't have my cake and eat it too.... I know I can't have all things I like crammed into one perfect Utopia, while all the crazies and pillbillies are fenced out. But we are so unhappy where we are, and I'm just trying desperately to be happy again, and give my family the life we so badly crave. I know this was a long post (Sorry...), but I hope someone can give me some advice. Thanks so much for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM

8,151 posts, read 5,411,733 times
We have our share of that same mentality here in SC. The good news is it is easily avoidable. Greenville is a shining light in SC. The towns outside of Greenville seem to be nice for the most part. I know a few people from simpsonville and if I were moving I looked into that area. As far as your daughter she should be fine but you may catch some WV jokes. I have some issues with SC (I'm born and raised here)but it is a good place if you know how to avoid the little pill and crack villages. That part will not be hard. The GSP airport has some nice areas around it.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,154,926 times
Regarding one part of your post: If you're interested in Med School, the University of South Carolina School of Medicine, is planning on opening a 4 year program in Greenville. It's a couple years out at this point (I believe), but if you had something to do in the meantime, going to medical school in Greenville is an option. Otherwise, Clemson University is anywhere 30-45 minutes from Greenville (depending on where you live in the area), and offers a lot of great graduate programs, some of which do their research in Greenville.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 8,028 times
Thank you so much for your quick replies.

We haven't visited the area yet (planning a trip in the next month or so), so I'm still not familiar with any particular area. I've looked at photos and it seems like a beautiful place to live. I definitely don't want to live right in the city... I hate congestion and I'm paranoid about city crime (rural WV is pretty much crime-free except for occasional pharmacy robberies, domestic violence, etc). But I'd love to find a nice, larger-size town right outside the city, where I'd have access to decent shopping/restaurants/entertainment. I'm used to lots of open space-- here in WV we have plenty of quiet little neighborhoods where kids can play safely outside. Are there any areas similar to this that we should check out when we visit soon?

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,527,792 times
First of all, future Dr. Rae, relax.

The transition between small town WV and Greenville will be easy. The only downside I could imagine will be the possibility of living further from family (?).

Yes, GHS will have a 4 year medical school beginning Fall of 2012 (still tentative). Additionally, there is a 4 year DO school in Spartanburg that just initiated its first class. As for colleges/universities: Clemson (40+ minutes from G'ville), Furman, Greenville Tech, Bob Jones, USC Upstate, Wofford, Southern Wesleyan, Converse College.

There are plenty of excellent neighborhoods for you and your family. Schools in Greenville county (esp in Greer and Greenville) have kids from all over the country - due to BMW, Michelin, Fluor, GHS, GE, etc - your child will not be the only "new kid" - besides she is quite young and will adapt easily. Yes, traffic will be much greater here but the trade-off is the wonderful amenities this area offers.

Being a "foothills" city, outdoor recreation plays a big role in Greenville. We're located about an hour or so south of Asheville and have easy access to the mountains of SC/NC.

Again, take a deep breath - this will be a positive move for your family.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 5,826,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrae2b View Post
Hi everyone. I'm not normally one to post on forums and such (I usually just lurk and read all the other threads to answer my questions). But lately, the decision to relocate is weighing very heavily on me, and I'm stressing out about what's best for my family. I was hoping some of you would be willing to give me some advice.

About us: We are a young family. I'm 29, DH is 31, and our only child is 5 and just started kindergarten. We've lived in rural WV all our lives, although we spent our college years in a couple of the larger towns here. I'm not currently working-- I'm a senior biology major at a university here, looking into med school or maybe research when I graduate. Hubby is the store manager for a growing retail company. I grew up here all my life, and we've lived in our current house for almost 7 yrs (we own our home).

About Our current town and why we're leaving: (Warning: Rant ahead). I'm going to be brutally honest about why we're considering a move: We are MISERABLE here. We live in a typical rural WV mountain town. It's pretty and quiet and boring. People here are shallow and uneducated, everyone is always up in everyone else's business. Seems like everyone is riding the welfare system or getting a disability check or on painkillers. Those who didn't fall prey to poverty settled into teaching or nursing or coal mining. And then there's that tiny percentage of people who became doctors or lawyers. Jobs, decent shopping, good medical care, and restaurants are scarce (I had to drive 1.5 hours to get my kid decent school clothes). The first of the month here is like a circus-- people make their monthly trek out of their mountain houses and descend upon Wal-Mart like zombies, to leave with cartsfull of junk food and prescription painkillers. It's a hopeless, depressing existence. In warmer months, this is also a major tourist area: Outdoor recreation is HUGE here and people just love the lake. In the fall, this place goes crazy with all the hippies who swarm the rivers with kayaks in tow. I truly have no idea why they like it here.... maybe they're all from large cities and like the "small town feel". Maybe the qaintness of it all draws them in from their busy lives. I have no clue. And I'll admit that if I didn't live in this podunk town, I might want to visit long enough to gawk at the simplicity of country life. I only wish I had the option to leave and go back to civilization. Cause for me and my family-- living here is excruciating.

OK rant OVER. :-)

So..... my husband got offered a promotion to work in the Greenville area. It's quite a bit more money than what he makes now (right around $45 thou annually, plus bonuses). His company pretty much guaranteed his job-- they literally just told him that if we can't sell our house before we move, they would pay a portion of our rent until we can. It's so tempting. I'm salivating over the thought of getting out of this place.

But I have some reservations-- 1, I'm worried about how culture shock might scare me. Coming from such a sheltered, small-town existence, what might be some things that would catch me off-guard about the area? I know I sound ridiculous asking this, but I think the drastic increase in population would freak me out-- I was looking on Google Earth and it looks like people just live right on top of each other (Do y'all even have yards?! Lol!). And I think my little girl might faint, actually having a choice as to where to go out to eat supper (OMG! You mean we don't have to eat Bob Evans again?!). What about traffic?-- Here you can pretty much get ANYWHERE in 15 minutes or less and there is NO traffic. Also- what about my little girl?- Do you think kids there would accept her as the "new kid" in class?- do you think they'll make fun of her for coming from WV? How about good neighborhoods for families? We are looking for around the $875-$1100/ month rental range (not interested in buying again.). I'd love to have a place where she could ride her bike or play outside without me worrying. As for me, I'd love to further my education... grad school is a definite possibility and I'm taking the MCAT this year and even looking into med school as an option (which might require another move, but we'll burn that bridge when we get there).

I know I can't have my cake and eat it too.... I know I can't have all things I like crammed into one perfect Utopia, while all the crazies and pillbillies are fenced out. But we are so unhappy where we are, and I'm just trying desperately to be happy again, and give my family the life we so badly crave. I know this was a long post (Sorry...), but I hope someone can give me some advice. Thanks so much for reading.
I can surely relate to much of what you've written, though I'm a lot older than you are...

I was born and raised in Miami, FL, have lived there all my life, never left but had wanted to since my kids were very young. All our family was in SOFLA and I wouldn't think of moving away at that time. But I hated it. I too was miserable there, more so with each passing year. After my kids were born I swore I would move once my youngest graduated High School. We didn't make a move until she graduated college, so I was overdue, and oh so ready.

Culture shock-you're coming from one extreme, I from another. But I wanted this, I craved it. I wanted a slower paced life. A place where I saw people were still considerate of others, had manners, didn't drive like zombies on a crash course. Someplace other than Miami, and Florida.

I hated what Miami has become over the years, or should I say, what the people who inhabit Miami has done to the city. Where you have no traffic, we had extremely bad traffic. There is no "traffic hour" anymore like in the "old days" there's traffic ALL the time, no matter what highway you try driving on. Driving 15 minutes anywhere in Miami won't get you much of anywhere. Here, it's a whole different story. For us, there is no traffic to speak of here, though locals may beg to differ, which I'm sure, they would take back if they drove daily in any of the major cities.

While you are worried about the population increase, I was embracing the population decrease. I love that you can be in the thick of it here, and within a few minutes, feel like you are out in the country, or even in a differnt state (okay, a few more minutes needed) Yes, there are areas where the homes look like they are on top of each other, but I can tell you from looking for a home for over a year here, there are many ore homes that aren't on top of each other. That was important for me too as my home in Miami, I could about pass the sugar to my neighbors. Now, I have 3/4 of an acre, and I love it (though not the grass cutting part!)

My DH had to get a transfer here. He has a large and long following down in Miami. His employees and customers LOVE him. Here, they are definitely more, ummmm, hmmmmm, not crazy about having someone new come in and take the reigns I guess you could say. He's had a harder time adapting than I have. They don't know him from Adam up here, so it's going to take some time, and that's expected. They had way too much fun not having a permanent mgr and going through mgrs like water, so to have someone come in and clean house, you can see why they weren't too happy, or at least some of them. It's getting better, and so are the store numbers while under his mgmt.

Have you actually visited Greenville yet? If not, I, along with many others, would suggest you do so before even thinking about coming here. It IS a big step to uproot a family. It's worth it to do so, especially if you think you may be applying to Med School. I wish you luck there, my son is doing just that right now and is at the point of now getting letters for interviews (so far 10 out of 26 have requested an interview with him) I know it's going to be hard enough for him to leave his work and where he's been living in NYC to go to med school (whereever that may be).

It may be a scary thing to move to the unknown, but it doesn't have to be that way if you don't allow it to. I would come here looking at homes, and got to know the area very well. I did a lot of reading on the area, a lot of research on the area and drove around, until I figured what area of Greenville I wanted to settle in, and I went from there. Between the trips here, I made friends, so when I moved here, I had friends here already. Now that I've settled here (since beginning of March this year) my group of friends has grown. You will make friends if this is what you want, and with a little one, you have that outlet of having a little one in school to make friends with other parents. If you are a church person, there's another way. Going to school yourself, and/or working you're going to meet more people, and then there's neighbors too. And I'm sure your 5yr old will be just fine, as long as you are. Kids are VERY resilient and adapting, it's the parents we have to worry about

Anyhow, best of luck with your decision. I always feel everything happens for a reason, and if it's meant to be, it will. Just do what you can to make the best decision for you and your family.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM

33 posts, read 71,049 times
Definitely come down and visit. I don't think the culture shock will be as bad as you think, but you never know how you really feel until you try.

If you're not used to traffic, though, that may be a bit of a shock- you might have to get used to that. But it's not a bad trade off for a pretty good place to live.

My husband is from rural West Virginia (lived up in the mountains). He moved down here when he was ten to live with his mom. (To hear him tell it, the part of WV he was from, if a stranger approached- it was "shoot first, ask questions later" territory.)

You mentioned that you wanted:

"good neighborhoods for families? We are looking for around the $875-$1100/ month rental range (not interested in buying again.). I'd love to have a place where she could ride her bike or play outside without me worrying."

I don't think you'll have too much of a problem finding that. Especially if you're flexible on location. I've got small kids, but I don't have a place for them to play outdoors (I also don't have nearly the income that you listed as will be available to you.) Anything closer to the city is going to be more expensive, too.

I've got a friend that has a perfect location just like you described, but it's outside of Greenville County- in Travelers Rest. Beautiful and peaceful. Depending on where you work and how far you want to drive, you may want to look outside of Greenville County. It'll be a little reminiscent of rural life. It's a lot cheaper, too.

And, as you can see, other people have already pointed out there are lots of opportunities for educational advancement.

So, come down and visit. We're pretty friendly. :-)

Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM

909 posts, read 2,101,123 times
Most people know that I could go on and on about Greenville, but I'm going to keep this short because the decision ultimately comes down to your comfort level.

I moved around quite a bit throughout my life, so I don't necessarily have that in common. We do have age group in common (I'm 33), and my son is almost 5. I've lived in small towns and big towns, but I really wouldn't classify Greenville as either one.

You can live in what feels like a rural area, yet only be about 15 minutes from a ton of shopping/dining. I mean, I live off of Woodruff Road (people will tell you it's busy), yet I pass a horse farm on my way home everyday. My friends who live in downtown think I live "way out", yet it only takes me 20 minutes (or less) to get to their houses.

I do not think you will have culture shock. I honestly think you'll be so ridiculously excited if you decide to move here, and it will be eye-opening to what you may have been missing all these years. Even though I have lived quite a few places, there is no question that Greenville tops the list.

As for your daughter, she is so early in her "social" life, I don't think she'll really even notice. I moved from Michigan to Connecticut when I was in kindergarten, and I honestly don't really remember anything prior to that. I do remember those friendships that I formed over my 8 years in Connecticut, prior to moving to Maryland. I truly do think she'll fit right in, and I don't think the other kids will even know she's new. Everything in kindergarten is new to them anyway.

I said I was going to keep this short, but I could have gone a lot longer. I hope this helps, but let us know if you have anymore questions. Come down to visit, you'll fall in love. If you don't, well then, you're crazy. Just kidding, Greenville isn't for everyone, but I know far more people that love it, compared to those who don't.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM

45 posts, read 67,614 times
I think Greenville sounds like a good fit for you and your family. While it will obviously be different, I don't think you'll experience extreme culture shock. Renting at first is a very good idea. It will give you opportunity to move to another part of the area if you should desire, or if you decide that it wasn't the best decision and want to return to WV (or elsewhere), it will be that much easier.

As far as which parts of town to consider for renting a home, my first thoughts were Travelers Rest and Greer. Travelers Rest is a little further out (maybe 10-15 minutes) from downtown, major shopping, etc., but it's really cute, very hilly with views of the mountains, very much a small town but also has Furman University, which provides cultural opportunities, and a lovely campus to walk around. Lots of transplants live in Simpsonville, but it's too cookie-cutter for my tastes. Maybe check out parts of Taylors, too? I grew up in a very small town in NY, but have moved around a lot since college. I live in downtown Greenville and enjoy all of the benefits associated with that, but if I were going to live elsewhere in Greenville, I would probably pick Travelers Rest.

I'm not certain about how school districts compare in each of these areas (my kids are too young), but maybe someone else will chime in about that. Good luck! It sounds like you and your family are ready for change, and if your husband is excited about his job opportunity here, it might be exactly what you're looking for!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM

47 posts, read 78,840 times
We're in TR and would recommend you look at it if you want something more rural. And, it definitely is in Greenville County. As others said, 15-20 minutes to downtown with Cherrydale even closer and a nice Walmart right in TR.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area