Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Not sure but I am sure they will plant dozens of trees, shrubs and flowers in this new development. The land had previously been home to some rundown apartments and woods. I hope that their next focus is the rundown strip mall with Monterray's in it. It would be cool if Clemson could get a Target... everyone that I talk to would like a small one. Not sure if that would work at the old strip mall though. They could tear it down and build apartments.
Sounds good. With all the college students & faculty right there, ar least a small Target seems like a no-brainer. But wonder if/how that might cannibalize sales at the Anderson Target?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Sounds good. With all the college students & faculty right there, ar least a small Target seems like a no-brainer. But wonder if/how that might cannibalize sales at the Anderson Target?
It undoubtedly would but it would be a great booster for the region, especially since that road is on an existing bus route and could be walked to from campus. When I was a student I hated taking the drive all the way to Anderson to go to Target... we also drove to the movie theater by the interstate because the Seneca one is rundown. A small movie theater (6-8 screens) and a small Target would be extremely beneficial for the community. That being said, even Easley doesn't have a Target yet.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
Quote:
I doubt it...main reason the Anderson Target doesnt seem as busy at checkout is because of the suburban nature. Keep in mind that people from Belton, Honea Path, Iva, Abbeville, Antreville, Craytonville, Starr, Hartwell, Elberton, and more all have to go to that one if they want to go to Target.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
I don't understand why Publix is building a new location instead of moving into that abandoned Food Lion store. I don't think there's anything there anymore. Food Lion built a new store right beside BiLo, then closed shop only a year or two later.

I hope that Clemson does not become overdeveloped and doesn't lose it's rural feeling/small town charm.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
we also drove to the movie theater by the interstate because the Seneca one is rundown. A small movie theater (6-8 screens) and a small Target would be extremely beneficial for the community. That being said, even Easley doesn't have a Target yet.
Isn't there an old movie theater near downtown Clemson? Is it not a theater any more?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
I don't understand why Publix is building a new location instead of moving into that abandoned Food Lion store. I don't think there's anything there anymore. Food Lion built a new store right beside BiLo, then closed shop only a year or two later.

I hope that Clemson does not become overdeveloped and doesn't lose it's rural feeling/small town charm.
Food Lion opened in late 2006 and closed months later in 2007. It had too many reasons for quick failure.

Clemson and Central are infilling between each other. I would not mind keeping their small town appeal and rural charm by keeping it while becoming one minicupality.

Quote:
Isn't there an old movie theater near downtown Clemson? Is it not a theater any more?
Astro III closed a few years ago. A movie theater would be successful, either on Old Greenville Road, Issaqueena Trail or Road 18. Seneca, Easley and Anderson's cinemas are packed usually.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion opened in late 2006 and closed months later in 2007. It had too many reasons for quick failure.

Clemson and Central are infilling between each other. I would not mind keeping their small town appeal and rural charm by keeping it while becoming one minicupality.

Astro III closed a few years ago. A movie theater would be successful, either on Old Greenville Road, Issaqueena Trail or Road 18. Seneca, Easley and Anderson's cinemas are packed usually.
Yeah Food Lion is waaaay too small for most grocery stores. Considering this will be a Publix and they will get a lot of game day business, they need to have a full size store to handle all the orders that will be going through their deli and bakery (in my opinion).

I also wouldn't mind Central and Clemson becoming one city/town. I don't think most residents of Central would want to join Clemson though. Their taxes are pretty high if I understand correctly. Clemson should try to annex all the way north to Pike Road/Madden Bridge Road to Central's border. The more development that continues that way, the harder it will be to annex later.

Clemson desperately needs a movie theater. 6-8 screens would be perfect in my opinion. If they could build it in the Monterray's strip mall, a lot of people could even walk to it still including all of the campus residents, downtown and the nearby apartments behind it.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
It isn't. There have been ongoing talks of turning it into a small music venue though which I would approve of.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post

That location will be great for Publix. They will have a built in advantage there because they will be closer to the university than Bi-Lo and Ingles (without crossing the bridge) and a quick pull off from 123.
They better have a well staffed sub dept because they are going to be very popular and busy with the students. The deli at Publix in Greenville next to Furman stays very busy with students.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Not sure if anyone is following this development, but I found online the plans for it: http://www.cityofclemson.org/sites/d...%20Project.pdf

The center will be called Gateway Village and the Publix will be 54,800 square feet. Freedom Drive is going to end in a cul-de-sac. Anyone have any other Clemson updates??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area